Enough dodging: who is the QB for this team/why?

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was kind of hoping (and I think Doug Marrone would agree with me) to do a little better than 3-13.

Even so, you're comparing apples to oranges. Manning, Brees, Luck, and RGIII all started in established systems. We've got a new coaching staff and a new system. Also, all four of those QBs were stellar prospects when they were drafted. This years QB class was widely reported as exceptionally weak, and Manuel wasn't even considered to be in the top three. Now, after a handful of practices without pads, people on here think he's the next Big Ben, and that "it's EJ's job to lose" without having proved ANYTHING in a real game.

I don't buy it. Kolb beat the Pats in week two, last season, with one of the worst O-lines in the league. That included a rushing touchdown. I don't know about you, but I would like to win the opener against the Pats. I'm hoping that Marrone will have a game plan- I'm sure he will. But, coming up with one, and using it, will be a lot easier with a known commodity behind center instead of an unproven, project rookie.

You made some good points.

About the Pats-Cards game last year NE should have won it even tho they didnt play their best game. FG from 42 yds out was missed by the Pats last play of game.. Plus the Cards blocked a punt that set up a touchdown. So it wasnt like Kolb was Manning like in that game.

My thing is if EJ and Kolb are even after the 3rd preseason game I would start EJ. He has more upside than Kolb and Kolb to me is not much of an upgrade over Fitz.

Put faith in the coaching staff you just hired, and go with EJ Manuel.

Sorry if this point has already been made, but remember Vince Young's rookie season with the Titans? He went 8-3 as a starter, after it was apparent that Kerry Collins couldn't eek any wins out with that team. Young was a very gifted athlete who had great success in college...he had a huge arm, and was very mobile. Young won in the NFL, not because he was a great NFL QB, but because he was a great athlete, playing a position that allowed him to experience some success, and pull out wins.

EJ Manuel seems similar in a lot of ways, except, I believe, the most important one...he is smart and has been described as "very coachable". This is what derailed VY... he never learned to become a good NFL QB. If you trust that you have the right coaches in place, let Manuel start, enjoy some success...let the whole team enjoy some success...build some momentum for the future. That is the Bills biggest asset right now...for the first time in about 15 years there is a sense that there is something new going on with the Bills. Plugging Kevin Kolb in to start 5-8 games, hoping for a 4-4 record isn't new. IMO, if you put Manuel in from the start, you hope he succeeds, and you get a gauge as to what he is as an NFL QB. We already pretty much know what Kolb is. If Manuel goes out and is just terrible, and the coaches feel it will be a detriment to his development to continue, you can always go to Kolb... the notion that a rookie must sit on the bench and learn is, more and more, becoming antiquated. Manuel was drafted as a franchise QB...the future is now!

Edited by Buftex

Sorry if this point has already been made, but remember Vince Young's rookie season with the Titans? He went 8-3 as a starter, after it was apparent that Kerry Collins couldn't eek any wins out with that team. Young was a very gifted athlete who had great success in college...he had a huge arm, and was very mobile. Young won in the NFL, not because he was a great NFL QB, but because he was a great athlete, playing a position that allowed him to experience some success, and pull out wins.

EJ Manuel seems similar in a lot of ways, except, I believe, the most important one...he is smart and has been described as "very coachable". This is what derailed VY... he never learned to become a good NFL QB. If you trust that you have the right coaches in place, let Manuel start, enjoy some success...let the whole team enjoy some success...build some momentum for the future. That is the Bills biggest asset right now...for the first time in about 15 years there is a sense that there is something new going on with the Bills. Plugging Kevin Kolb in to start 5-8 games, hoping for a 4-4 record isn't new. IMO, if you put Manuel in from the start, you hope he succeeds, and you get a gauge as to what he is as an NFL QB. We already pretty much know what Kolb is. If Manuel goes out and is just terrible, and the coaches feel it will be a detriment to his development to continue, you can always go to Kolb... the notion that a rookie must sit on the bench and learn is, more and more, becoming antiquated. Manuel was drafted as a franchise QB...the future is now!

The thing alot of people miss is what system they are going to run on offense. It seems to me they are going to rely on the running game, which they should with CJ and a healthy Freddie.

I think the Bills see EJ as the next McNabb. If that's true go ahead and find out if he is now, put pressure on him and see if he can handle it. You have to find out and you might as well find out now.

There are two very good and experienced RBs who will be starting, plus a good TE (hopefully he's ready) plus one very good WR and a second year WR showing flashes of coming into his own, plus an unsettled OLine. Likely there will be three rookie WRs in the lineup, probably a rookie TE and who knows who will be holding down the line positions. So you have a somewhat inexperienced group built around some very good veterans. So do you entrust the QB position to a rookie? Or do you put Kolb behind center until your team gets a few games experience together under its belt? Do you want to take the chance of getting your first round pick hurt or take the risk that if things go badly with a bunch of newbies on the field and he winds up with his confidence undermined?

I don't know who the starter will be but I think Marrone et al will begin the season with the guy they think gives them the best chance to win right off the bat. I believe right now that favors Kolb. If all goes as everyone (but Kolb) hopes, Manuel will shine between now and September and he'll be starting immediately, on his way to Rookie of the Year.

I think the Bills see EJ as the next McNabb. If that's true go ahead and find out if he is now, put pressure on him and see if he can handle it. You have to find out and you might as well find out now.

Not to be a douche(too late?)...but McNabb sat his first year, for the first 6.5? games. I watched that whole thing go down right in front of me. It was pure genius from their FO. They drafted the guy nobody wanted in McNabb, and the fans went ballistic(because they are Eagle fans = idiots), then they sat him in favor of a vet FA whose story is remarkably similar to Kolb's. Which meant the fans ran around saying "I told you so" for about a month. Then, when it was clear that there was nothing to lose, and Pederson wasn't helping McNabb by playing ahead of him, lo and behold, they started McNabb. The fans(did I mention idiots?) self-congratulated for "forcing" the FO/new coaching staff to make the move. The season ended with their idiots, I mean fans, hailing themselves and the FO as the best things ever. :lol:

As I said: genius.

Do I think this necessary for our fans? Of course not. However, why re-invent the wheel, or not take a few parts/pieces of it and re-use them? So far, this entire thing appears to be following a pattern, especially the cutting of Jackson prior to mini-camp. We've already had our QB competition, haven't we? Or, one of them? Whether that was to see which vet had a real chance of taking the team forward, or, whether it was merely to see which one is to be EJM's foil, remains to be seen.

"Put faith in the coaching staff you just hired, and go with EJ Manuel?"

You're making the assumption that Marrone has already decided to go with Manuel? I'm not convinced of that for a moment. The new coaching staff we just hired are also the same people that acquired Kolb.

Vince didn't start right away, either. He didn't start until week four of his rookie year.

There are two very good and experienced RBs who will be starting, plus a good TE (hopefully he's ready) plus one very good WR and a second year WR showing flashes of coming into his own, plus an unsettled OLine. Likely there will be three rookie WRs in the lineup, probably a rookie TE and who knows who will be holding down the line positions. So you have a somewhat inexperienced group built around some very good veterans. So do you entrust the QB position to a rookie? Or do you put Kolb behind center until your team gets a few games experience together under its belt? Do you want to take the chance of getting your first round pick hurt or take the risk that if things go badly with a bunch of newbies on the field and he winds up with his confidence undermined?

I don't know who the starter will be but I think Marrone et al will begin the season with the guy they think gives them the best chance to win right off the bat. I believe right now that favors Kolb. If all goes as everyone (but Kolb) hopes, Manuel will shine between now and September and he'll be starting immediately, on his way to Rookie of the Year.

Very good points here.

"Put faith in the coaching staff you just hired, and go with EJ Manuel?"

You're making the assumption that Marrone has already decided to go with Manuel? I'm not convinced of that for a moment. The new coaching staff we just hired are also the same people that acquired Kolb.

Vince didn't start right away, either. He didn't start until week four of his rookie year.

Very good points here.

I am baffled by you guys. Kolb has proven that he is nothing more than a back up in this league, twice. I know that E. J. Manuel has done nothing in the NFL but he has not failed in the NFL. Manuel has not been given the starting job twice and lost it twice.

I am baffled by you guys. Kolb has proven that he is nothing more than a back up in this league, twice. I know that E. J. Manuel has done nothing in the NFL but he has not failed in the NFL. Manuel has not been given the starting job twice and lost it twice.

That's a ridiculously simplistic assessment of Kolb's career. His pattern has been that he plays well early in the season when he's healthy, and then succumbs to injury. And, considering the dismal O-line he was playing behind in Arizona, it's difficult to say if it's a chronic pattern. But, even if it is, the consensus on these boards that Kolb has no value as a starter strikes me as short-sighted. If Kolb had truly "proven that he is nothing more than a back up in this league," then Marrone is a fool for acquiring him.

I get that everyone is optimistic about EJ- I am too. But, I'm not willing to ignore everything that was written about him before the draft. Most notably, I am bothered by assessments made at the end of his college career that raised questions about his mechanics, footwork, and inconsistency. Add to this the fact that we have a new coaching staff with a new system, and a very young team overall. In my opinion, we are better off with a veteran under center for the first few games at least. What's so baffling about that?