Lord Stanley's Cup- WTF NBC?

jethro_tull

The NHL playoffs and now the finals have not exclusively on "free" TV. I don't recall if this has happend in past years or not- I just recently downgraded my direcTV to include just the basic package to offset Netflix costs.

They (NBC) are alternating between NBC (free network) and NBCSN (NBC spoorts network). In order to watch NBCSN, my package goes up another $15.00 / month. Plus people cannot watch NBCSN over the air, they must have cable or SAT.

Is this the first time that a major sport's championship round or game is not on free TV?

The greed is despicable.

I think the NHL has often not had Finals games on free TV. I was surprised that last night was not on. It was Saturday night, which I believe is the lowest rated day of the week, anyway.

Does the threat of Congress dropping the Antitrust exemption the NFL enjoys keep them from having all their games on cable or Direct TV(NFL Network or ESPN for example), ie: pay TV ? If I remember correctly, if the Bills were on a strictly cable channel here in WNY the game was also televised on a local channel. Or is the cash cow the NFL now enjoys enough incentive to keep them on free TV regardless of their antitrust exemption ?

The NHL playoffs and now the finals have not exclusively on "free" TV. I don't recall if this has happend in past years or not- I just recently downgraded my direcTV to include just the basic package to offset Netflix costs.

They (NBC) are alternating between NBC (free network) and NBCSN (NBC spoorts network). In order to watch NBCSN, my package goes up another $15.00 / month. Plus people cannot watch NBCSN over the air, they must have cable or SAT.

Is this the first time that a major sport's championship round or game is not on free TV?

The greed is despicable.

Of course the greed is despicable but the NHL for most Americans is not a must watch event so the NHL will chase the money wherever it comes from. Be interesting to see where the playoffs end up in the ratings. My guess would be not high and probaly be in the bottom third.

Oh and I didn't intend to highjack your thread with my prior post.

OP, I understand the Netflix/Red Box, etc craze is having this effect on otherwise gluttonous choice and crazy prices. My better half has succeeded in reducing our fare as well. I managed, however, to keep the extended Basic which has the new NBC Sports channels. I love hockey and the NHL and wouldn't want to miss it. but I'm not sure, once It's over, NBCSPORTS will have anything to keep my interest..

There's always Sports Bars, though this series seems destined to be 7 OT contests..

I've heard that concern about the ant-trust issue before. If the NFL does lose out on that exemption all bets are off with respect to broadcast rights and outlets IMHO.

NBCSN shows lots of regular season NHL and I engjoy that part of the package, especially when the Sabres play.

It isn't that big of a deal to upgrade the package again- it's just the principal of the matter. The NHL has forced people to pay to see their playoffs and finals on TV.

Ask Chicago Blackhawks owner Rocky Wirtz how his team was doing when his deceased father, iron fist Bill Wirtz was at the controls. He stubbornly refused to allow any home games on local or even local pay TV.

Although not the only factor in the equation, opening up access to the sport has helped the Blackhawks to be revitalized beyone anyone's wildest expectations.

The NHL are possibly limiting their marketing by this policy, a short sighted reasoning. In the era of HD tvs, no longer is the "i can't see the puck" excuse valid for lack of TV viewership. Although it pisses me off, things will not change until it hurts the NHL's bottom line.

I've heard that concern about the ant-trust issue before. If the NFL does lose out on that exemption all bets are off with respect to broadcast rights and outlets IMHO.

NBCSN shows lots of regular season NHL and I engjoy that part of the package, especially when the Sabres play.

It isn't that big of a deal to upgrade the package again- it's just the principal of the matter. The NHL has forced people to pay to see their playoffs and finals on TV.

Ask Chicago Blackhawks owner Rocky Wirtz how his team was doing when his deceased father, iron fist Bill Wirtz was at the controls. He stubbornly refused to allow any home games on local or even local pay TV.

Although not the only factor in the equation, opening up access to the sport has helped the Blackhawks to be revitalized beyone anyone's wildest expectations.

The NHL are possibly limiting their marketing by this policy, a short sighted reasoning. In the era of HD tvs, no longer is the "i can't see the puck" excuse valid for lack of TV viewership. Although it pisses me off, things will not change until it hurts the NHL's bottom line.

This is NOT the NHL's choice. They would rather be on over the air free TV. They aren't popular enough for the networks to decide to do that.

Network aside, the first two games of this series has been some great hockey.

The first 7-8 minutes of OT the other night was like watching the Hagler-Hearns fight.

Agreed. As much as I hate the Bruins (for me, the NHL equivalent to the Dolphins), I love the way they play. But, still pulling for the Blackhawks...I guess...

Edited by Buftex

Agreed. As much as I hate the Bruins (for me, the NHL equivalent to the Dolphins), I love the way they play. But, still pulling for the Blackhawks...I guess...

Yeah that's kind of how I am. I'm more interested in watching two great teams with different styles going at it than I am in any particular outcome, though a Boston loss is preferable.