Xbox One - WOW!!

ajzepp

The problem with using the cloud for video games is that the latency is so high that you're probably better off just using the console to do it. There may be certain things where lag isn't an issue, but anything graphical will absolutely not be done through MS's servers. If everyone had google fiber it might be useful, but US broadband speeds are absolutely **** compared to the rest of the world.

The PS4 is simply the more powerful machine, and any talk of cloud computing for the Xbone is designed to distract you from inferior specs and a higher price.

That's not ata ll what BuffaloBillsForever was talking about. When you play games, it learns your tendencies and basically makes an AI profile that plays like you. You can download these profiles from other people and play against "real" people instead of developer created AI. That's entirely doable -- the NFL 2k series did it for a year or two -- and just because they're stored in the cloud, doesn't mean anything's being processed out there.

If Sony isn't already planning on doing it, it'd be pretty trivial for them to add I'd think.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Microsoft better pull a rabbit out of their ass, because there is zero reason to buy the XBone over the PS4 *at this point. And no, Halo is not a reason.

Not saying your wrong but what is your main issue or issues with it?

Here's where am I with this whole situation. For me, online check ins aren't a problem, I'm always connected and I don't play video games when I'm not, just the way I am. I also very rarely trade in games so the used game restrictions will not affect me (also, the people saying that Xbox will not allow used games are wrong, they have allowed it and are leaving the final decisions up to the publishers, you know, the guys that make the majority money off the game). The Kinect issues people have pointed out are also inaccurate. You can turn off the recording feature when not in use, or, this might be a shocker, you could turn it to face your tv so it can't see you.

So given that the Xbox One will be able to function as my cable box, will offer streaming of NFL games, will have 300,000 dedicated servers for Xbox Live, and Xbox has consistently provided the better online experience between the two platforms, Ill stick with Xbox for this generation for sure. The PS4 is a great system for sure, and I'll most likely get one at some point, but the same 3-4 talking points everyone's stuck to seem overblown to me so far.

Edited by Marcellosaurus

The PS4 is simply the more powerful machine, and any talk of cloud computing for the Xbone is designed to distract you from inferior specs and a higher price.

LOL

They are pretty much the same specs, same archeticheure.

There is a disconnect here abou the Kinect. It needs to be physically connected to the console but that doesn't mean it needs to be "on"

Used games are left to the publisher, same as it will be on the PS3

Though I still think it is a mistake about the 24 hour check in. I don't like that. Not a deal breaker though. Always on would be a deal breaker.

Edited by BuffaloBillsForever

I've heard a lot of people say that the Xbox One specs suck compared to the PS4. Anandtech did a good writeup and potentially debunked it. It all depends on how the cache is used.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6972/xbox-one-hardware-compared-to-playstation-4

Really interesting article. Thanks for sharing, Fez. The PS4s running hotter would concern me a little in regards to reliability, but I don't think the performance between the two systems will be as much of a difference as some people are making it out to be.

I've had an XBox 360 for over 5 years and I love the thing, but after this last week and watching E3, there's no way on earth I will be supporting this piece of crap. What the heck is Microsoft smoking? DRM, daily connectivity check, no used game market, no indie dev support, a Kinect that monitors you, and it costs $100 more than the PS4? They should call it the Xbox Titanic lol

LoL... Xbox Edsel.

Here's the Battlefield 4 footage. The water scene that I was so enamored with starts at 11:20, but the whole video is good. Also check out the 8:30 mark for some jets sliding off the deck of the ship...this is just very impressive to me.

Information on the PS4's DRM system is starting to come out. While initially not as restrictive as the Xbox, it could easily become that way if the game publishers want to (and since MS has said the reason they implemented DRM in the XBox One was because of the publishers.... I expect to see this on the PS4 in short order).

http://www.neowin.net/news/third-parties-can-dictate-drm-terms-on-the-playstation-4

"While technically this means that publishers could implement persistent online checks for their games, it's unlikely they will do so right away."

Delta 6 should be interesting...

Here's where am I with this whole situation. For me, online check ins aren't a problem, I'm always connected and I don't play video games when I'm not, just the way I am. I also very rarely trade in games so the used game restrictions will not affect me (also, the people saying that Xbox will not allow used games are wrong, they have allowed it and are leaving the final decisions up to the publishers, you know, the guys that make the majority money off the game). The Kinect issues people have pointed out are also inaccurate. You can turn off the recording feature when not in use, or, this might be a shocker, you could turn it to face your tv so it can't see you.

So given that the Xbox One will be able to function as my cable box, will offer streaming of NFL games, will have 300,000 dedicated servers for Xbox Live, and Xbox has consistently provided the better online experience between the two platforms, Ill stick with Xbox for this generation for sure. The PS4 is a great system for sure, and I'll most likely get one at some point, but the same 3-4 talking points everyone's stuck to seem overblown to me so far.

what he said

Information on the PS4's DRM system is starting to come out. While initially not as restrictive as the Xbox, it could easily become that way if the game publishers want to (and since MS has said the reason they implemented DRM in the XBox One was because of the publishers.... I expect to see this on the PS4 in short order).

http://www.neowin.ne...e-playstation-4

"While technically this means that publishers could implement persistent online checks for their games, it's unlikely they will do so right away."

There is no DRM on the PS4, it's all in the hands of publishers, exactly the same as it is now on the PS3 and XBox 360 (and every console before). And after the recent backlash we've seen, I highly doubt any company will dare try it (well OK, I'm sure EA will at some point lol).

Is there any info on the Kinect?

The last generation had a minimum height of 41". Since this 2nd gen is supposed to be more sensitive will it pick up shorter kids?

I had to disconnect mine since the 5 year old could do it but not the 3 year old.

LOL

They are pretty much the same specs, same archeticheure.

There is a disconnect here abou the Kinect. It needs to be physically connected to the console but that doesn't mean it needs to be "on"

Used games are left to the publisher, same as it will be on the PS3

Though I still think it is a mistake about the 24 hour check in. I don't like that. Not a deal breaker though. Always on would be a deal breaker.

Except the Xbone uses 5 GBs of RAM for games, while the PS4 uses 7 GB. The Xbone has 768 GPU cores, while the PS4 has 1152, or 50% more. Only an idiot would claim the Xbone will be as good graphically.

Here's a quote from the link that someone posted

"Microsoft can’t make up the difference in clock speed alone (AMD’s GCN seems to top out around 1GHz on 28nm), and based on current leaks it looks like both MS and Sony are running their GPUs at the same 800MHz clock. The result is a 33% reduction in compute power, from 1.84 TFLOPs in the PS4 to 1.23 TFLOPs in the Xbox One. We’re still talking about over 5x the peak theoretical shader performance of the Xbox 360, likely even more given increases in efficiency thanks to AMD’s scalar GCN architecture (MS quotes up to 8x better GPU performance) - but there’s no escaping the fact that Microsoft has given the Xbox One less GPU hardware than Sony gave the PlayStation 4. Note that unlike the Xbox 360 vs. PS3 era, Sony's hardware advantage here won't need any clever developer work to extract - the architectures are near identical, Sony just has more resources available to use.

Gee, I wonder what makes the biggest difference in rendering graphics? Oh I don't know, maybe the GRAPHICAL PROCESSING UNIT.

Edited by Fingon

The inability to resell XBox1 games is a :thumbdown:

You can resell games, but it's limited - and no details yet. Sounds like eBay sales, for example, are out. But remember, it's no different than Steam. (which means they should offer great deals like Steam... Otherwise, I'll agree that the whole thing sucks. :) )

Is there any info on the Kinect?

The last generation had a minimum height of 41". Since this 2nd gen is supposed to be more sensitive will it pick up shorter kids?

I had to disconnect mine since the 5 year old could do it but not the 3 year old.

Here's some info - although I don't think it answers your question.

http://www.neowin.ne...box-ones-kinect

http://www.neowin.ne...nd-kinect-demos