[OT] Will some gun owners never learn?

As usual, an emotionally charged situation brings out those who are all about enhancing their "freedom" at the expense of "yours". 

"The Second Amendment is outdated".  In a place where ridiculous statements are made EVERY day, there are few that could possibly trump this one.  I'm not surprised it was made by someone with so little life experience.

Your children are FAR more likely to be killed by a drunk driver or in a bicycle accident than they are with a firearm.  Not that the mass media will ever tell you that.  Nor are they likely to report the 3,000-8,000 times EVERY DAY (depending on whose figures you believe) that a private citizen protects their property using a privately owned handgun.  Instead, they concentrate on stories of that will whip you into a frenzy (not unlike the Randy Moss faux pants dropping) and you buy into it hook, line, and sinker.

Currently there are about 2000 citizens per police officer in this country.  You don't want to own a firearm, that's fine - good luck with "Dial a Prayer".  Just don't tell me the 2nd Amendment is less relevent because it's quite the contrary.  The right to protect ones' self and property is fundamental.  If you don't believe me, go watch Hotel Rwanda.

Big picture people.  Leave myopia to the bureaucrats.

201785[/snapback]

I agree.

I do however feel that there needs to be a better background check system in place. It's too easy for someone to buy a gun that shouldn't have one.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As usual, an emotionally charged situation brings out those who are all about enhancing their "freedom" at the expense of "yours". 

"The Second Amendment is outdated".  In a place where ridiculous statements are made EVERY day, there are few that could possibly trump this one.  I'm not surprised it was made by someone with so little life experience.

Your children are FAR more likely to be killed by a drunk driver or in a bicycle accident than they are with a firearm.  Not that the mass media will ever tell you that.  Nor are they likely to report the 3,000-8,000 times EVERY DAY (depending on whose figures you believe) that a private citizen protects their property using a privately owned handgun.  Instead, they concentrate on stories of that will whip you into a frenzy (not unlike the Randy Moss faux pants dropping) and you buy into it hook, line, and sinker.

Currently there are about 2000 citizens per police officer in this country.  You don't want to own a firearm, that's fine - good luck with "Dial a Prayer".  Just don't tell me the 2nd Amendment is less relevent because it's quite the contrary.  The right to protect ones' self and property is fundamental.  If you don't believe me, go watch Hotel Rwanda.

Big picture people.  Leave myopia to the bureaucrats.

201785[/snapback]

Alaska,

I agree with a lot of this....I will not be....nor will my family be...victims hoping that the police arrive in time to save us......everyone except for my 9 year old daughter knows how to handle a firearm (and she will to when she gets older)

I have a ADT system on my house, a "safe room" that basically is my own bedroom with very strong oak door and one window that cannot be accessed from the outside without great difficulty (this is also where my firearms are kept)

I also have large dogs who love my family but are not overly fond of anyone else (unless we choose them to be)

I take my families security very seriously....it is too bad that there are folks out there that simply are not smart with HOW they handle their weapons....

Alaska,

I agree with a lot of this....I will not be....nor will my family be...victims hoping that the police arrive in time to save us......everyone except for my 9 year old daughter knows how to handle a firearm (and she will to when she gets older)

I have a ADT system on my house, a "safe room" that basically is my own bedroom with very strong oak door and one window that cannot be accessed from the outside without great difficulty (this is also where my firearms are kept)

I also have large dogs who love my family but are not overly fond of anyone else (unless we choose them to be)

I take my families security very seriously....it is too bad that there are folks out there that simply are not smart with HOW they handle their weapons....

201801[/snapback]

You sound like you live in a friggin bunker waiting for Charlie.

I agree.

I do however feel that there needs to be a better background check system in place.  It's too easy for someone to buy a gun that shouldn't have one.

201798[/snapback]

Not many criminals or unstable people buy guns legally. The world is awash in guns and criminals don't care much about laws - or they wouldn't be criminals. :doh:

Not many criminals or unstable people buy guns legally.  The world is awash in guns and criminals don't care much about laws - or they wouldn't be criminals.  :doh:

201812[/snapback]

Well let's put it this way. A friend of mine loves guns and owns several, but he's the type of guy that will go out at night and shoot stop signs and stuff. He's not a criminal, but let's be honest, should someone like that really be the owner of handguns?

Well let's put it this way.  A friend of mine loves guns and owns several, but he's the type of guy that will go out at night and shoot stop signs and stuff.  He's not a criminal, but let's be honest, should someone like that really be the owner of handguns?

201820[/snapback]

I'm sure you've reported his behavior to the proper authorities, right?

Please tell me you're not talking about "Home Alone".

201822[/snapback]

Haha, yes I am, but I'm not actually suggesting that people should stock their homes with paint cans and hot wheels cars instead of guns. Your quote about being prepared simply reminded me of the movie.

If he'd been trained with his dad's 12 gauge, it'd have been a VERY short movie.

201836[/snapback]

And little kids everywhere would still be having nightmares of the Wet Bandits getting blasted :doh:

They would end up like the star of the movie. Now that kid is one screwed up adult.

:doh:  :D  :w00t:

You'll live to be 90.

201768[/snapback]

Actually, barring unnatural death (suicide, war, car accident, etc.) no one in my family has ever died before their 90th birthday, going back to my great-grandparents on both sides. Save for the whole mental-illness thing, I've got great genes. :D