[OT] Will some gun owners never learn?

I guess we better abandon the entire east coast of the US then, just in case that volcano on the western edge of Africa decides to collapse into the ocean.  :lol:

202771[/snapback]

I watched that program too and it was one of the Canary Islands, not the coast of Africa. I believe the name is La Plata or something like that.

Guns are dumb. I don't want to interfere with gun ownership any more than I would interfere with people who want to own pot-bellied pigs. I just don't share either their enthusiasm for firepower or fear of evildoers. But in my opinion too many gun owners are gun owners merely because it's one of those "mine is bigger than yours" pissing contests that men so adore. :)

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I watched that program too and it was one of the Canary Islands, not the coast of Africa.  I believe the name is La Plata or something like that.

Guns are dumb.  I don't want to interfere with gun ownership any more than I would interfere with people who want to own pot-bellied pigs.  I just don't share either their enthusiasm for firepower or fear of evildoers.  But in my opinion too many gun owners are gun owners merely because it's one of those "mine is bigger than yours" pissing contests that men so adore. :)

202964[/snapback]

This was actually the subject of a fictional book I read recently. I believe it was Liberty by Coonts. It maybe another of his books, but something in that genra. Again, Coonts books are okay for what they are. Not great, but an interesting concept.

This was actually the subject of a fictional book I read recently.  I believe it was Liberty by Coonts.  It maybe another of his books, but something in that genra.  Again, Coonts books are okay for what they are.  Not great, but an interesting concept.

203013[/snapback]

Pretty scary scenario. Apparently, the mountain in question has undergone significant shifts before and several scientists are convinced that it could collapse into the ocean at some point in the next several centuries. It sounds like it would make the SE Asia tsunami a picnic by comparison. :)

Well, that is the essence of being a liberal..... :)

203008[/snapback]

How would you know?

Of course back to the original subject.

Gun are no more dangerous as AD points out than a bathtub, a knife, or any other animate or inanimate object. The ability to lock it up around children is a must until they get to an age of reasoning. Typically I would say most children if reaised properly by 12-14 years old know better.

I know growing up we were handed .22's and expected to kill rodents in the fields when we where around 7 or so. No adult supervision. Of course the parent should us how and whats and safety lectures. We never sh-- each other.

Again, parenting or lake there of is the real issue. Not ownership of weapons.

And of course women don't adore those contests, that's why none of them ever get boob jobs, eh sweetie?  :)

203002[/snapback]

I cannot imagine why anyone would get plastic surgery but I don't think it's the same thing. Women don't have the level of testosterone that drives them to complete in the same way. That doesn't mean we're not competitive of course, but I never heard of a woman who went under the knife in order to be bigger than someone else.

I cannot imagine why anyone would get plastic surgery but I don't think it's the same thing.  Women don't have the level of testosterone that drives them to complete in the same way. That doesn't mean we're not competitive of course, but I never heard of a woman who went under the knife in order to be bigger than someone else.

203223[/snapback]

Way to miss the point, as usual. :P

Maybe we should stop building cities near fault lines.  That'll stop earthquakes.  Same basic premise.

Good thing we took guns off the streets after Columbine, since it hasn't happened again.  Oh yeah, we didn't.  Making a new law to deal with the behavioral exceptions of a society don't make them less likely to happen - they rarely happen ANYWAY.  Whenever something is easily discernible by name (like Dunblane, Columbine, Ruby Ridge), that is clue enough.

202630[/snapback]

I wasn't suggesting that the British model be exported to the US. I know better than to take you on in a debate on gun control in the US :P The culture with regard to guns is very different from that in the US. Very few owned a gun for self-defence purposes even before the gun control laws were brought in. Thus for the majority of the population, the equation after the Hungerford and Dunblane massacres was very simple. Unless you happened to be in a gun club, there was no downside to a ban on guns, the upside was making these sort of incidents far less likely to take place (yes, I know statistically the chances of you being killed in these sort of incidents is minute). The gun control laws were not imposed on the population by government, on the contrary it was the government responding to the public demand for these sort of measures.

Pretty scary scenario.  Apparently, the mountain in question has undergone significant shifts before and several scientists are convinced that it could collapse into the ocean at some point in the next several centuries.  It sounds like it would make the SE Asia tsunami a picnic by comparison.  :P

203019[/snapback]

The island in question is La Palma in the Canary Islands. I saw a documentary on the subject a while back. Apparently, there would be about eight hours warning before the tidal wave crossed the Atlantic. I still wouldn't have much confidence in the entire east coast being evacuated in that time though.

The island in question is La Palma in the Canary Islands. I saw a documentary on the subject a while back. Apparently, there would be about eight hours warning before the tidal wave crossed the Atlantic. I still wouldn't have much confidence in the entire east coast being evacuated in that time though.

203355[/snapback]

Not a chance - look at hurricanes, they typically have days of warning.

Cities with mass transportation might stand the best chance (if people use it) - I shudder to think of the people stuck in traffic getting buried under a wall of water.

I think they said this volcano is on a roughly 50 year cycle right? The question is not so much when it'll erupt again but when it'll erupt with enough force to split the island .... I believe they said there was a big eruption in 1947, but don't recall if there's been a large one any more recently.

Not a chance - look at hurricanes, they typically have days of warning.

Cities with mass transportation might stand the best chance (if people use it) - I shudder to think of the people stuck in traffic getting buried under a wall of water.

I think they said this volcano is on a roughly 50 year cycle right?  The question is not so much when it'll erupt again but when it'll erupt with enough force to split the island .... I believe they said there was a big eruption in 1947, but don't recall if there's been a large one any more recently.

203406[/snapback]

I dug up this BBC link on the subject:

mega tsunami

203355[/snapback]

LOL....it would take more like eight days. Way too many people with way too few inland roads. I live about mile from the water as the crow flies, so I'd be on my bicycle for sure.

LOL....it would take more like eight days.  Way too many people with way too few inland roads.  I live about mile from the water as the crow flies, so I'd be on my bicycle for sure.

204513[/snapback]

You got that right. Come to think of it i wonder if the high bldgs would even offer an option. In Asia they showed bldgs that were fine but...in cities like NYC and Boston with all that subterranean stuff the water would probably rush into it and who knows what all would happen.

Ugh.

You got that right.  Come to think of it i wonder if the high bldgs would even offer an option.  In Asia they showed bldgs that were fine but...in cities like NYC and Boston with all that subterranean stuff the water would probably rush into it and who knows what all would happen.

Ugh.

204573[/snapback]

No good. Mega tsunami caused by landslides can apparently cause waves higher than skyscrapers.