Why is Reggie McKenzie not on the wall?

If only from a leadership and longevity standpoint AND being a leader by example on one of the top lines in NFL history. Does anybody else remember feeling the pride of having 'old man Reggie' still manning the line in the in the early 80's. Does anybody else remember that he was the main pulling guard that terrorized the league for OJ? He was a Buffalo Bill of definitive status.

Edited by tedstrong

If only from a leadership and longevity standpoint despite being a leader by example on one of the top lines in NFL history. Does anybody else remember feeling the pride of having 'old man Reggie' still manning the line in the in the early 80's. Does anybody else remember that he was the main pulling guard that terrorized the league for OJ? He was a Buffalo Bill of definitive status.

Reggie was a very good Guard, but he was not the player that Joe D was. He doesn't belong there IMO.

Reggie was a very good Guard, but he was not the player that Joe D was. He doesn't belong there IMO.

I'm not saying he belongs in the HOF. As a Bill, he was equal to anyone we have up there- especially as THE acknowledged leader of the 'Electric Company'.

Edited by tedstrong

I'm not saying he belongs in the HOF. As a Bill, he was equal to anyone we have up there- especially as THE acknowledged leader of the 'Electric Company'.

Neither am I. Guess we'll see if he makes it to the wall. Write a letter to Russ Brandon...it may have an impact.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

If only from a leadership and longevity standpoint AND being a leader by example on one of the top lines in NFL history. Does anybody else remember feeling the pride of having 'old man Reggie' still manning the line in the in the early 80's. Does anybody else remember that he was the main pulling guard that terrorized the league for OJ? He was a Buffalo Bill of definitive status.

I'm with you there. He should have been up years ago, just like Lou Saban.

It is rather odd that he kind of disappeared from the Bills scene. Not only was he OJ's "Main Man" but I remember standing out in 8 degree weather at Prior Aviation with thousands of other drunks to welcome the Bills back from SF after winning the AFC East in 1980 and it was Reggie who got off the plane and did the talking/cheerleading for the team.

He was definitely a leader - of two different playoff eras - and then just was gone!

Reggie has all but disappeared, he's not even the most famous Reggie McKenzie in the NFL anymore. That honor would go to the current GM of the Oakland Raiders.

For those Bills fans not old enough to remember:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reggie_McKenzie_(guard)

Apparently Reggie has a foundation in the Detroit area (his place of birth and hometown):

http://www.reggiemckenzie.com/index.html

Over thirty years ago I had a dream of giving back to the young people in the communities where I grew up - Highland Park and Detroit, Mich. I started a summer football clinic with a bag of footballs and cones given to me by my former football coach at the University of Michigan.

Starting with my dream and a few footballs in 1974, I never imagined that over 30 years later the Reggie McKenzie Foundation would sponsor athletic clinics in five sports and offer a host of academic programs. Today, approximately 1,500 young people are touched every year by our programs.

RMF_logo.jpgkids_group3.jpg

It's been a great 36 years filled with more opportunities and challenges than I ever imagined. Our biggest challenge today is to continue to maintain our programs. Unfortunately, a poor economy has resulted in reductions in government, corporate, and individual contributions and has affected our ability to serve young people to the fullest. Hopefully, with additional funding, we will restore all of our programs.

I hope you enjoy reading about the Reggie McKenzie Foundation. All of our activities would not be possible without the support of people like you. Please let me know your thoughts about what we are doing and how we can continue our "Commitment to Character" for many more years.

Thanks for your interest in the Reggie McKenzie Foundation.

Reggie McKenzie

Founder & President

• 2 weeks later...

If it's ok with the admins. Add a 'yes' for me to pass on to "the powers that be".

My reasons, as stated before, are that he was a stalwart pulling guard for many years through the early 80's. He was the acknowledged leader of the "Electric Company". He was a consumate Buffalo Bill.

Respectfully submitted.

Edited by tedstrong

Of course, Joe D has been up there since 1997. Ruben will be up there. Let''s get 'old man' Reggie up there, he was a 2 time 1st team Pro Bowler, himself - and who doesn't remember the pride of seeing him line up in the early 80's as a senior member of those playoff teams.