USA Today: Whaley left Wall Street for NFL

Mods, please merge if deemed necessary.

According to the USA Today's Jarrett Bell, new Bills GM Doug Whaley left a job on Wall Street due to his passion and aspirations for the NFL.

The story is replete with quotes from former Bills GM Tom Donahoe, who gave Whaley his first NFL job.

http://www.usatoday....street/2191723/

"I'm sure he'll do better with it than I did," Donahoe told USA TODAY Sports.

Whaley, a Pittsburgh native, played safety and linebacker while earning a degree in business finance at Pitt. But after a year on Wall Street, he opted for the football business.

"I tried talking him out of it," Donahoe recalled. "But he was determined. He had the football bug, and he couldn't get rid of it."

Why did Donahoe hire him?
"You just had the sense that he was so passionate," he said. "If we didn't give him a chance, you knew somebody else would. But I did ask him, 'How are your parents with this?'

"He said, 'Pretty much like you are.' "
Edited by San Jose Bills Fan

I met Doug his first week in town... A mutual friend of ours who used to play for the bills went to Pitt with him... We showed him around the city because he had just moved here for a new job...(his hiring had not yet been announced)... Never knew who he was until the announcement... He's a great guy... Very humble

I'm just worried he's tied so closely to people who were such failures here like Donahoe and Modrak. Modrak epecially as I remember every year at the draft luncheon he would say the draft was the lifeblood for talent in the NFL and every year the Bills sucked ergo he had to be responsible for the lack of talent.

Edited by MrLocke

I met Doug his first week in town... A mutual friend of ours who used to play for the bills went to Pitt with him... We showed him around the city because he had just moved here for a new job...(his hiring had not yet been announced)... Never knew who he was until the announcement... He's a great guy... Very humble

Ruben Brown? You don't have to disclose if you don't want. The guy who hired me at my job 12 years ago was a punter who went to Pitt. He said Whaley is a good friend from Pitt and so was Ruben.