Yet another New Stadium: Minnesota Vikings

I want outdoor.

However, if retractable/dome is what the developers, Bills, State, etc want, and that is what is going to get it done, so be it.

Tailgating in a snow suit and stripping down to walk to the game in the freezing cold will be a new experience.

The NFL will put some money into the kitty.

but the fact is we either build a new stadium or just say goodbye to the Bills. No new owner is going to stay at the Ralph. that is fact.

It has to be indoor retractable roof styled stadium, if not your wasting your time. A few of you might not want it but I guarantee the majority would, and it is the wiser overall move.

I agree with you. MY question is why are they dumping in the neighborhood of $200 million into a stadium that is clearly outdated. Wouldn't it be smarter to just build a new stadium? I know it will cost close to a billion for a retractable dome stadium, but what are you going to do? That is the going rate for having a NFL team now. Either go big or go home. This half ass sh*t rarely works.

I agree with you. MY question is why are they dumping in the neighborhood of $200 million into a stadium that is clearly outdated. Wouldn't it be smarter to just build a new stadium? I know it will cost close to a billion for a retractable dome stadium, but what are you going to do? That is the going rate for having a NFL team now. Either go big or go home. This half ass sh*t rarely works.

You're either a Big League City or you're not. The new stadium has to happen for any real long term franchise viability.

The Orchard Park, middle of nowhere thing is long ago outdated.

You're either a Big League City or you're not. The new stadium has to happen for any real long term franchise viability.

It is sad that is what the NFL has become but your exactly right, your either a Big League City or your not. & I am pretty sure unfortunately Buffalo is not a big league city.

Edited by Gordio

Even Bob Seger sits in a dome in Detroit

A dome and a competitive team and I would buy seasons. Outside and a crappy team and I'm staying home

Why would they necessarily suck outside and be good in a dome? Your post doesn't make any sense. What do you prefer all things being equal? Of course I would rather they be good in a dome.

Not impressed; one bit. A bit too clunky and I predict it will look like an eye sore in 20 years.

I think I found their inspiration:

minnsw.jpg

I was in Houston last month - drove past the Reliant Stadium. Gotta admit - I was surprised at how dated it's already starting to look... I was also surprised to see that the Astrodome is still standing.

8a2ddb60-0ad5-488a-b0d6-3469f71185bf_20130417021331.jpg

Based on that - I was a proponent of a dome stadium - but now I am thinking twice about what it should look like. If it looks anything like the Vikings new stadium - I won't be happy.

I still like this proposal - but worry about the shelf life:

AR-121029746-1.jpeg

But I think we can agree - this has to go:

78689906.jpg

Build a Billion Dollar Stadium for 6 (Not sure how long the Toronto series committment is) homes games a year, some not sold out, for a team that has not really been close to a postseason play for a decade and a half, in a State that stuggles to attract business because of high taxes....

Makes sense.

Build a Billion Dollar Stadium for 6 (Not sure how long the Toronto series committment is) homes games a year, some not sold out, for a team that has not really been close to a postseason play for a decade and a half, in a State that stuggles to attract business because of high taxes....

Makes sense.

Who says it would be a football only facility? These modern structures are great venues to also host non-football sporting events as well many other types of events beyond the realm of sports.

Makes sense.

“Oh, I could give you an answer, but the only ones who'd understand it would be you and me . . . and that includes your teacher.”

Hmm - isn't Gillette outside of Boston, MetLife outside of NYC, Cowboys Stadium outside of Dallas, I could go on. Why does the stadium have to be in the city proper for the team to be "Big League"?

Hmm - isn't Gillette outside of Boston, MetLife outside of NYC, Cowboys Stadium outside of Dallas, I could go on. Why does the stadium have to be in the city proper for the team to be "Big League"?

It doesn't, but you have to consider what hotels, restaurants, and other infrastructure are in the area to attract and support big events for the facility to be viable and sustainable in the long term.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

It doesn't, but you have to consider what hotels, restaurants, and other infrastructure are in the area to attract and support big events for the facility to be viable and sustainable in the long term.

I agree. But Buffalobud also just pointed out three of the top seven media markets in the United States. Of course they can build stadiums anywhere they want as money is really no issue.

In order to make this happen in a state like NY and a city like Buffalo - the second poorest in the nation - you have to find multiple uses for the facility in order to make it work.

Build it downtown or in Niagara Falls.

Another stadium in Orchard Park would be a colossal mistake.

Wow I think that thing looks laughably hideous!! It looks like a combination of an air-craft hangar and a church! That has to be just a concept, right?

The design is supposedly evocative of an iceberg and the bow of a ship.

From the pictures, it doesn't work for me.

Maybe it'll look nicer when it's built.

For many reasons the trend among urban planners for many years now has been to move stadiums and large capital building projects back into the cities.

Except for Amherst and the Great Baehre swamp, urban sprawl is pretty much out of vogue these days. Most municipalities are trying to increase population and taxation densities to restore value to the city centers and revive historical districts.

This Vikings stadium was almost built outside the city in an area which sounds somewhat like Orchard Park but ultimately it was built in the city (unlike UB and Ralph Wilson Stadium).

However to the idea of booking other dates for a venue such as this, there's not much of a booking market for a huge stadium in a fairly small market.

For the most part, mega-bands don't come to Buffalo anymore.

As for the 3 stadiums that BuffaloBud mentioned, all three were built on areas already developed for their predecessors so it was the path of least resistance.

All 3 stadiums are in major population areas.

And the intention in New York was to build a football stadium in Manhattan but the deal was too difficult to make happen.