"...ramping up for the last few days in free agency."

I started a thread the other day pointing out this quote from Brandon, which was contained in an article about the, yet to exist, analytics department. My point wasn't about the analytics department, but it got merged with another thread and the discussion turned into one about analytics only...bad thread title I guess.

I wanted to focus on the quote and hopefully draw some responses about under the radar and/or unknown FA's available.

Some teams are "done," some still active, but at this point, are we dumpster diving? Anyone out there still worth kicking the tires on, besides Dansby?

I read someones post yesterday about remaining FA TE's, and I responded with a "no thanks" to any of the aging retreads with bum wheels. However, I found a couple of interesting younger guys out there, all of which are Chandler types in the weay of size and skill. A couple with injuries that cut there seasons short, but may catch on somewhere and make something of a career out of football still.

Check these guys out (links are from Wiki, which I found to be best with player history on virtual unknowns, sorry):

Zach Potter; 6'7" 270Lbs.

Jeron Mastrud; 6'6" 260Lbs.

Joey Haynos; 6'8" 270Lbs (oldest of the bunch, but had some promising stats before being derailed by a foot injury)

It sounded like they only intend to add a couple more bodies in FA. A LB and an offensive lineman...

That may be the intent now.

As minicamps start, some guys on our roster won't look as good on our field and the Turk will visit. We'll be watching the scrap heap of other team's cuts, and when someone we like shows up there, we'll act. The guys who are out there right now are either holding out for more money than 32 teams think they're worth and hoping for a preseason injury at their position to raise their value a bit, or they're guys 31 other teams don't value too much.

There is always something of value to be found in said "dumpster diving." Chandler for example. The key is to identify them if/when they become available. It may be that another team has a lot of depth at O-line and we are waiting for them to cut someone.

I personally would pick cuts from winning teams who have depth in some places and drafted well, such as SF and Seattle but of course that would depend on the player. One area that I think Buddy or Wahley (think I spelled that wrong) are really above average at is dumpster diving.

June 1 still means possible cap cuts, right?

PTR

Yes and no. There will definitely be some, but teams are allowed to cut players prior to June 1 and still have it designated as a June 1 cut for salary cap purposes, so some/many of those guys have already been cut.

I'm looking forward to the surprise cuts and practice squad movements once we hit the roster cut down days. There's always some good guys that teams have to let go due to lack of space.