RIP Jeff Hanneman

I see that the Westboro Baptist Church is looking to picket Hanneman's memorial service - they might want to rethink that. I know they live to piss people off, but Slayer fans are a different breed. Slayer fans love violence - they live for it. I've seen small riots break out as rampaging fans leave shows - not satisfied with the aggression and violence they just got during the show. Heck, at the Trocadero in Philly after a show they tore down all the exposed water pipes, flooding and causing severe damage to the place. Anytime I've seen them in an outdoor venue with "lawn seating" they've torn up all the grass and started fires.

In any event, if you take a bunch of fans who generally enjoy violence for violence sake and have authority and self control issues, get them upset at the loss of one of their heros and then send some religous nuts out to taunt them, you could have a problem. The funny thing is, so many people hate the WBC and feel they have it coming to them. Can you imagine the smile on Jeff Hanneman's face in the afterlife, seeing implicit or explicit support from the general public after a bunch of Slayer fans beat a religous zealot into a coma? He couldn't ask for a better tribute...

• 2 weeks later...

Well well well - look who DIDN'T show up to protest yesterday in Hollywood, even after they printed flyers announcing it....

I was all set to grab some popcorn and watch the carnage, but I guess somewhere along the line sombody realized you really don't mess with Slayer fans....

Well well well - look who DIDN'T show up to protest yesterday in Hollywood, even after they printed flyers announcing it....

I was all set to grab some popcorn and watch the carnage, but I guess somewhere along the line sombody realized you really don't mess with Slayer fans....

I wonder if someone told them something along the lines of..."You don't understand...this is slayer...they WILL kill you."

To be fair the spider bite really did mess up Hanneman and he was in dire straits because of it. Sad time. He was a true pioneer. Your first slayer show, when they came out on stage and started playing and you honestly questioned if you were gonna make it out alive was always a seminal moment in a young mans life.

I had no idea this guy was in Dire Straits. Was he before Mark Knopfler?