[OT] Finishing a room in a basement

LabattBlue

For all you Bob Vila wannabees, I am building a playroom for my daughter in the basement. I am looking for ceiling ideas. 7 foot height. The foundation walls are already studded, so I only have two walls to build. I'd rather not do an interlocking ceiling where I can't get above it at a later date without ripping it apart. What is the minimum clearance you need for a dropped ceiling between the studs and the ceiling grid? Any other ideas? I'm not looking to pour a ton of money into it, just somewhere for her to call her own other than her room. Approximate size 10x16.

Don't get to elaborate on me. You're talking to a guy who once had a bathroom ripped apart for two years. We have since moved and my wife has still not forgiven me! :blink:

Thanks!

i have put them up with about 3 inches above .that gives you some room to play .i would use cedar t&g,wood gives you a warm feeling make some drop panels for plumbing areas, then poly it

15103[/snapback]

If you are doing cedar, why would you poly it? I would think that if you are going to use cedar, you would want that nice cedar smell. just a light sanding every-so-often, and the whole room will be filled with that wonderful cedar smell.

you only get the smell with aromic cedar for closets ,the look is better than pine

15489[/snapback]

I agree that the look is better than pine.

The scent, depends on the type of cedar, as you mentioned. Strong cedar smell, use t&g cedar made for closets. A more subtle scent, use standard t&g cedar. I personally would go with the second, because I would not want to stay in a room with a STRONG cedar scent. Subtle is the way to go. To say that you will only get the scent with closet cedar is false. Hell, I made a mailbox post out of cedar, and just the sanding of the wood, gave a nice subtle scent, for a while, to the workshop. The scent will not last forever, but just a light sanding will give you a subtle scent that can be quite enjoyable. If you poly the wood, you lose that.

Everyone has their preferences, and I respect your preference.

Check this stuff out;

Ceiling Max

You can avoid losing the height you would with a suspended ceiling, but you maintain the ability to remove panels to access your wiring and plumbing if needed (and you will need to...). It's about the same price, and it goes in real easy - just put up the grids, slide the panels in and use the tees. You can use any panels that you want (2x2, 2x4, etc.).

Good Luck!

Check this stuff out;

Ceiling Max

You can avoid losing the height you would with a suspended ceiling, but you  maintain the ability to remove panels to access your wiring and plumbing if needed (and you will need to...).  It's about the same price, and it goes in real easy - just put up the grids, slide the panels in and use the tees.  You can use any panels that you want (2x2, 2x4, etc.).

Good Luck!

15499[/snapback]

Griz, Thanks for the suggestion. I get maximum ceiling height, access to pipes & cables & hopefully doesn't break the bank. I'm stopping at Home Depot this weekend to check it out.

I like tounge and grove pine with 3 coats of poly on it and sanded in between coats with very fine sandpaper to give it the glass finish.

16403[/snapback]

On "This Old House", they had one episode where Norm went to where they customize Lear Jets (or some similar model). They were telling him they put about 20 coats of poly on the wood surfaces to give them that "is it wood, or plastic" look.