Darcy Regier returning, not being fired

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What is the deal that I was seeing on twitter tonight. Something about us getting a higher draft pick if MN or St. L get to the conference finals or something like that.............Must be from a trade and the pick was conditional on something.

listen to the whole presser

Sully and Mike Harrington really lay into Black and Regier, good entertainment!

I don't have two hours to listen to that whole thing. Do you know when the good contentious parts are?

The new owner thought everybody would love their product kinda like the bills. Well things aren't going as planned. I wonder if lindy asked for his release too?

No doubt. I think the question there is whether Vanek is going to want to stay.

Hard to tell when you hear him talk...he sounds very amiable to staying...I guess his stipulation is "long re-build" or "re-tooling". Sell Vanek on the fact that he could really bring his play to the next level with a youth infusion. To me, he looked like he was actually relishing his role on the ice, with the youngsters, after Pomminville was dealt.

Besides,I don't know why the Sabres can't do both re-tool and re-load. Other teams do it all the time...Philly has built themselves, collapsed, re-built and then collapsed again, in the time since the Briere/Drury fiasco in Buffalo...the Sabres still seem to be trying to recover from it. I don't hate Darcy, but I am really wondering about the wisdom behind bringing him back for another re-build. I want a GM who maked Vanek want to stay...

Also, since we are talking Sabres, does anyone else find it a little odd that they haven't made a decision on Rolston yet? The longer they wait, should they keep him, it seems to weaken his footing with his team...not exactly a ringing endorsement form management. Maybe they are waiting to see if they can lure Lindy Ruff back? :lol:

Edited by Buftex

Hard to tell when you hear him talk...he sounds very amiable to staying...I guess his stipulation is "long re-build" or "re-tooling". Sell Vanek on the fact that he could really bring his play to the next level with a youth infusion. To me, he looked like he was actually relishing his role on the ice, with the youngsters, after Pomminville was dealt.

Besides,I don't know why the Sabres can't do both re-tool and re-load. Other teams do it all the time...Philly has built themselves, collapsed, re-built and then collapsed again, in the time since the Briere/Drury fiasco in Buffalo...the Sabres still seem to be trying to recover from it. I don't hate Darcy, but I am really wondering about the wisdom behind bringing him back for another re-build. I want a GM who maked Vanek want to stay...

Also, since we are talking Sabres, does anyone else find it a little odd that they haven't made a decision on Rolston yet? The longer they wait, should they keep him, it seems to weaken his footing with his team...not exactly a ringing endorsement form management. Maybe they are waiting to see if they can lure Lindy Ruff back? :lol:

I'm not a big fan of bringing Regier back. It seems like his only strength is the trade deadline - he knows how to get the most value from other teams in trades. Outside of that, he doesn't really ever have a huge strength.

There had been talk about Patrick Roy, so I wonder if they're talking to him and others before "deciding" on Rolsten.

I'm not a big fan of bringing Regier back. It seems like his only strength is the trade deadline - he knows how to get the most value from other teams in trades. Outside of that, he doesn't really ever have a huge strength.

Right... he has pulled off some good trades...getting a do-over, essentially, for underachieving guys he picked to begin with.

I realize, it isn't that simple...of course. I don't want to judge too harshly, but this, to me, could be the first clear mis-step by Pegula, IMO. Other things haven't gone well during his short tenure as owner, but I could sort of justify most of the decisions made up til now. But you just fired the longest tenured coach in franchise history (probably a necessary move), your team failed, again, to qualify for a playoff that should not be so elusive year after year...this was a chance for a true new start....

I realize Darcy has had some extenuationg circumstances throughout his tenure (changing ownerships and owner philosophys' etc etc), but this just feels like more of the same.

There had been talk about Patrick Roy, so I wonder if they're talking to him and others before "deciding" on Rolsten.

Just gotta wonder though, if Roy wouldn't wait for a more attractive opportunity than Buffalo offers right now. If the Sabres are truly in Oiler-esque re-build mode (look how well that is going!), would a guy who is a hot coaching candidate want to take his first HC job in the big leagues, knowing he is likely to post losing seasons for his first couple of seasons? His old team, the Colorado Avalanche have the first pick in the draft, and are currently without a coach...

Edited by Buftex

I realize Darcy has had some extenuationg circumstances throughout his tenure (changing ownerships and owner philosophys' etc etc), but this just feels like more of the same.

While Darcy's has been more severe, what type of GM doesn't have extenuating circumstances during their tenure, if they've been there for a little while? Hell, the Coyotes don't even have an owner, and they managed to make the playoffs last year and have more points than the Sabres this year.

I gotta think a different GM with a different vision could do a better job.

While Darcy's has been more severe, what type of GM doesn't have extenuating circumstances during their tenure, if they've been there for a little while? Hell, the Coyotes don't even have an owner, and they managed to make the playoffs last year and have more points than the Sabres this year.

I gotta think a different GM with a different vision could do a better job.

I agree...I wish Pegula would do whatever he could to get Rick Dudley to return to Buffalo...pry him away from the Canadians....a GM with some cache, who just happens to be an ex-Sabre player and coach....

I agree...I wish Pegula would do whatever he could to get Rick Dudley to return to Buffalo...pry him away from the Canadians....a GM with some cache, who just happens to be an ex-Sabre player and coach....

Somebody made a spelling boo boo! The guys from north and east of the border will be coming for you!

LoL... Don't mind me Buf... I had to bring this to your attention, knowing how us Sabres fans hate it when people get the re-er thing messed up... ;-) ;-)