Anyone here play adult league hockey?

Is there anything better in this world? Playing with the same guys and drinking beer in the parking lot after?

I'm 54 and still play in goal in a C/D level league once or twice a week. The highlight of my week year round. In fact summer hockey is the best.

PTR

I play year round. Used to play on Fridays and Sundays, but lately just Sundays at 6:45am. 10 skaters per team, we play games to 5 goals and start over. No refs, no face-offs. Everyone's in the 40-60 age range. Lots of making fun of each other and joking in the lockers.

While you're playing you forget about the outside world and just have fun.

Edited by PastaJoe

I'm 32 and still play 1-2 times a week. I moved down to Charlotte two Septembers ago and was fearful that my hockey "career" was over. Luckily I found a great A league that features a bunch of former NHL/AHL/ECHL pros (even former Sabre Jason Dawe). It's really good adult hockey and comparable to the top adult leagues in WNY I was used to playing in.

Best part is the rink we play at has a restaurant and bar. The winning team always gets free pizza and pretty much every one ends up drinking there after the games.

There's far too many 30-40 somethings here in Boston who think they still have a shot at the NHL. If you even brush up against someone accidentally, they're ready to throw punches. I had played for about 6 or 7 years straight year round but took this past winter off. I have to say, I'm really not missing it. I just want to play a fun game and not have to face a constant barrage of slashes and cross checks, but that just doesn't seem to exist around here.

Two years ago one of those checks in a so called non-contact league left me with a torn meniscus in my left knee (no penalty called). The very next game which I was watching from the bench, someone threw a leg check at our best player, tearing his ACL. That right there pretty much ended it for me. I came back for a bit after my surgery, but I just didn't enjoy it anymore.

There's far too many 30-40 somethings here in Boston who think they still have a shot at the NHL. If you even brush up against someone accidentally, they're ready to throw punches. I had played for about 6 or 7 years straight year round but took this past winter off. I have to say, I'm really not missing it. I just want to play a fun game and not have to face a constant barrage of slashes and cross checks, but that just doesn't seem to exist around here.

Two years ago one of those checks in a so called non-contact league left me with a torn meniscus in my left knee (no penalty called). The very next game which I was watching from the bench, someone threw a leg check at our best player, tearing his ACL. That right there pretty much ended it for me. I came back for a bit after my surgery, but I just didn't enjoy it anymore.

What? Is Belicheck moonlighting? WTF?

I play in Southern NH and see a few meatheads like that. Luckily most guys are cool. I don't care for pick up games because there is no intensity or defense played. We have 3 16-week seasons a year with teams that stay pretty much the same over time. When we are on the ice, we play to win. Most of the teams in our league are pretty even, though we are 8-1-1 right now, even though we are probably the oldest team by average by a good margin. Most of our roster is over 48.

PTS, I'd love to play one game against players that good just to see how I do.

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot

I play fall and winter sessions in a league in Cbus. They surprisingly have a pretty large and well run Adult league. Played 2 years of A league when I moved there and it was a little too much for me. Only 4 teams and some really good players. Most played 3 nights a week and I travel too much for work to be able to do that.

Took a couple years off then got hooked up with a C league team after they dissolved the A league. It's perfect. Just enough good competition to make it fun, but not too serious or out of control. My team is a real fun group of guys that meet at the bar before every game for a few pops. Aside from the often very late ice times followed by early work, I love it.