DJ Fluker tweets that he took money in college

ny33

Sure. The NCAA must pay their athletes. Women's water polo. Men's track and field. Wrestling. Pay them all. Watch that billions disappear.They get a free education. Nuf said

Free education my a@@. They do just enough, in most cases, to keep these guys eligible and on the field of play.All too often at the end of their eligibility, there's no degree and no meaningful career path.

Meanwhile some folks are getting wealthy at the athletes' expense. Sounds real fair to me. <_<

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

Free education my a@@. They do just enough, in most cases, to keep these guys eligible and on the field of play.All too often at the end of their eligibility, there's no degree and no meaningful career path.

Meanwhile some folks are getting wealthy at the athletes' expense. Sounds real fair to me. <_<

As it turns out thousands graduate with degrees and careers.... Soooo....

Sure. The NCAA must pay their athletes. Women's water polo. Men's track and field. Wrestling. Pay them all. Watch that billions disappear.

They get a free education. Nuf said

NCAA should not be the minor leagues. That's where the problem is. These guys have no itnerest in an education. There should be a Juniors football league where guys are paid, same with basketball. Then the NCAA should be for actual student athlets.

We need Mark Cuban to start a Minor League Football Association, and a Minor League Basketball Association with his billions. Watch the talent flee the NCAA when they can get paid without having to pretend to go to school.

Edited by Endless Ike

Good for him. College sports is a joke. They should get every penny they can. Old dudes use these kids for free labor while bringing in millions and like 1% will make it on the next level. I respect his honesty.

Actually, the problem is that college is a joke. Look at the text of the guy's twitter message. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and assume he is at least mildly retarded. If he is not, then here's more proof that for a vast number of teenagers, athletes or not, college is a huge waste of their parent's money.

NCAA should not be the minor leagues. That's where the problem is. These guys have no itnerest in an education. There should be a Juniors football league where guys are paid, same with basketball. Then the NCAA should be for actual student athlets.

We need Mark Cuban to start a Minor League Football Association, and a Minor League Basketball Association with his billions. Watch the talent flee the NCAA when they can get paid without having to pretend to go to school.

So, basically, all the talented athletes would not go to college and would instead join Mark Cubans football D league? I'm surprised no one has run with this idea to this point (including Mark Cuban)........

There are always exceptions of those prepared to take advantage of a college education and there are those who have no business being in college.

All too often it's just a sham to exploit athletic ability to make money for the institution.

The majority aren't playing big time sports that are generating big time money. Tebow and Newton probably had thousands of jerseys sold while they were in school. But because they are college athletes, the school gets all the revenue. What if one of those guys blows out his knee and never makes the NFL? How is that fair to miss out potential income?

People hate change. When college sports started, it was pure. Now we have college coaches making millions who can change schools whenever they want and do all the endorsements they can. But the athletes, the ones who the fans watch and spend money on, get nothing? I'm sorry but getting a free degree with the potential of a $30,000 regular job isn't enough. If you were the main reason why your company made million and billions of dollars, you'd want your cut too.

• 4 months later...

The majority aren't playing big time sports that are generating big time money. Tebow and Newton probably had thousands of jerseys sold while they were in school. But because they are college athletes, the school gets all the revenue. What if one of those guys blows out his knee and never makes the NFL? How is that fair to miss out potential income?

People hate change. When college sports started, it was pure. Now we have college coaches making millions who can change schools whenever they want and do all the endorsements they can. But the athletes, the ones who the fans watch and spend money on, get nothing? I'm sorry but getting a free degree with the potential of a $30,000 regular job isn't enough. If you were the main reason why your company made million and billions of dollars, you'd want your cut too.

This, as a former college track athlete, I got serious looks from a few D-I schools, but ended up at a D-III institution. The reality is that even at D-III the football players getting a higher meal allowance than a track athlete (I was 6-3 190 at the time, and bigger than a sizable minority of the football players). I understood that football generates the majority of donations, thus they get the highest cut of the pie. With a major D-I school, it would be insane to have the sports that aren't named football or mens' basketball get the same share as the two mentioned sports. For football and basketball, it wouldn't be unreasonable to pay the players something along the lines of minimum wage for hours required in-season, since they are essentially employees of the university. Figure that a season is approximately 30 weeks (counting spring ball) at 30 hours/week (practice, lifting, training, etc.) at 7.25/hour times 85 scholarships. That is a measly 625 grand that is spent total, or $7400 per player. That would do wonders for helping a kid to live while not being allowed to work during college (which most D-I football players and b-ball players are not allowed by coaching staff to do).

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.