THE PURGE - Would you support it?

The premise behind this movie is REALLY good, but it seems like they're gonna flub it up into some "The Strangers"-type horror angle.

It would be MUCH better as a neo-noir type deal, but anyway...

You can't help but think of the Boston tragedy with the whole bunkering up thing. Wish folks' could purge that Tsarnaev character.

Conversation going on here at the office, if some kind of 'Purge' legislation was ever under consideration, would you support it?

The premise behind this movie is REALLY good, but it seems like they're gonna flub it up into some "The Strangers"-type horror angle.

It would be MUCH better as a neo-noir type deal, but anyway...

You can't help but think of the Boston tragedy with the whole bunkering up thing. Wish folks' could purge that Tsarnaev character.

Conversation going on here at the office, if some kind of 'Purge' legislation was ever under consideration, would you support it?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0LLaybEuzA

Man they really are running out of ideas.

I once game myself a "Stranger"....

On a lighter note, what is the premise of The Purge? Is it when we kick all the culturally disadvantaged people out of the country?

I don't know but if anyone with weird masks approaches me, I'll hide under my desk.

I once game myself a "Stranger"....

On a lighter note, what is the premise of The Purge? Is it when we kick all the culturally disadvantaged people out of the country?

The premise is the idea that one day a year, you can purge society of __________. I think that it is a really good idea conceptually to add substance to and make a good ahistorical fiction, or neo-noir type script.

I would have loved to see Christopher Nolan work with the premise for a good 6 months.

I can tell from the trailer that the movie is gonna absolutely suck. But I still like the premise. In that way it'll probably be 9MM.

Anyway, just wanted to know if anyone would support the idea of one day a year, purging society. I guess not though.

But that's probably a good thing...

Edited by Juror#8

The premise is the idea that one day a year, you can purge society of __________. I think that it is a really good idea conceptually to add substance to and make a good ahistorical fiction, or neo-noir type script.

I would have loved to see Christopher Nolan work with the premise for a good 6 months.

I can tell from the trailer that the movie is gonna absolutely suck. But I still like the premise. In that way it'll probably be 9MM.

Anyway, just wanted to know if anyone would support the idea of one day a year, purging society. I guess not though...

Ok I thought I was the only one :lol:

I would be in favor of purging mindless trolls. Simply start a thread about Iraq, Halliburton and GWB and voila.

Oh hell yes but I don't get your 'fiction' reference. That would be paradise to boot out the criminals and free loaders.

Ah yes because it wouldn't just end up being a giant rape fest?

:lol:

You would think that those with that mentality would be the ones being purged.

It looks like it would be legalized vigilante justice for a night. And if the result would be record low crime rate and no prison over-population, it's at least worth a good laugh and a fanciful thought....

But poor George Zimmerman....

Bwahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!

I don't know but if anyone with weird masks approaches me, I'll hide under my desk.

My desk is the open design underneath, I'd have nowhere to hide, and I am not samll enough to get in this file cabinet. Maybe I will just blugeon them with my Swingline.

Oh hell yes but I don't get your 'fiction' reference. That would be paradise to boot out the criminals and free loaders.

I would tend to agree with you...to a point.

Tom might correct me on this point, but my understanding is that there was A LOT less crime when there was community justice and corporal punishment in schools.

This is gonna sound oddly self-depricating, but even during Jim Crow south, there was a weird balance and not much vice or crime in the black community because white folks would just string up a rope and lynch.

I'm not saying it's right, but there was order in the organized chaos. People didn't step too far out of line because of the fear that there would be societal repurcussions. The ability for your immeidate community to exact justice was a deterrent. I believe that there are still places (mainly Middle Eastern and southeast Asian) that still abide by that theory of justice.

Not sure what their crime rates are but I'd bet my newly acquired Walther PPK that they're lower than ours here in the states.

Edited by Juror#8

Tom might correct me on this point, but my understanding is that there was A LOT less crime when there was community justice and corporal punishment in schools.

This is gonna sound oddly self-depricating, but even during Jim Crow south, there was a weird balance and not much vice or crime in the black community because white folks would just string up a rope and lynch.

I'm not saying it's right, but there was order in the organized chaos. People didn't step too far out of line because of the fear that there would be societal repurcussions. The ability for your immeidate community to exact justice was a deterrent. I believe that there are still places (mainly Middle Eastern and southeast Asian) that still abide by that theory of justice.

Not sure what their crime rates are but I'd bet my newly acquired Walther PPK that they're lower than ours here in the states.

You should check out this documentary. I thought of this post while watching it today.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rswbjECsuFA

Hah, what? Crime rates are an an all-time low in the history of civilization.

I think this is a fascinating question. on the surface, my immediate answer would be an emphatic 'no', but as I thought about it more, I began to wonder just how much of myself is really a 'good' person, and how much has been programmed to be that way because of a fear of consequence or retribution for doing things that are 'bad'. I've always believed in a clearly delineated 'right and wrong', and I've always tried to do what I thought was 'right', but I realize that a significant number of those decisions were made, at least in part, because of the possibility of being arrested, getting my butt kicked, etc if I chose poorly. I think 'purge' legislation would be a terrible thing to support, but this topic has inspired a little rare introspection.