Tiger Woods ''penalty''

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just watched head of the committee talking about it. It's pretty amazing.

1] They didn't think he broke the rules at all on the course when it happened.

2] They got a call from a TV viewer saying maybe he broke the rules.

3] They looked into it from the TV footage and they decided he didn't break the rules at all, so they decided not to talk to him before he signed his card.

4] At 10 pm they got a call from CBS about the interview where he said he intentionally went back two yards to hit the same shot (which is amazing in and of itself)

5] They brought him in in the morning and asked him about it and he explained what he did.

The reason he wouldn't be disqualified is because of the rule they made to protect the golfer in case the committee made a decision that affected the golfer's actions, and that is exactly what happened. They talked about the penalty for three holes of golf Tiger played, and then decided that it wasn't a penalty and so they never informed him of any issue at all.

It also hurts Tiger that almost all of his shots are on TV, so he is at a disadvantage when it comes to this stuff.

gets a "penalty" when he should have been DQed. :thumbdown:

Because he signed a scorecard that was eventually found wrong or is a DQ to take an advantageous drop?

I just read two articles on this and still don't totally understand it.

This isnt a big deal. Any other golfer and it's not even making news. The rule about the drop is pretty vague as well. It's a judgement call on what is "as near as possible".

The 2 stroke penalty is probably the fairest outcome.

Moving on...

This isnt a big deal. Any other golfer and it's not even making news. The rule about the drop is pretty vague as well. It's a judgement call on what is "as near as possible".

The 2 stroke penalty is probably the fairest outcome.

Moving on...

It's not really a judgment call on as near as possible when the player himself says he knew where the drop was and intentionally moved it back two yards to hit the same shot exactly two yards shorter.

I agree, however, that the 2 stroke penalty is probably the fairest outcome.

Tiger promptly birdied the first hole. This will be a wild weekend. I love watching the Masters, it's the only tournament I will always try to watch.

It's not really a judgment call on as near as possible when the player himself says he knew where the drop was and intentionally moved it back two yards to hit the same shot exactly two yards shorter.

I agree, however, that the 2 stroke penalty is probably the fairest outcome.

Tiger promptly birdied the first hole. This will be a wild weekend. I love watching the Masters, it's the only tournament I will always try to watch.

It would be great to see him put up a "!@#$ you" 65 today.

So, I'm still not understanding this. Do the NIck Faldos of the world who think he should have withdrawn - do they think he intentionally cheated? If he did, why would he say what he did in the press conference?

If they think he should withdraw because of the signed scorecard, that is just stupid.

So, I'm still not understanding this. Do the NIck Faldos of the world who think he should have withdrawn - do they think he intentionally cheated? If he did, why would he say what he did in the press conference?

If they think he should withdraw because of the signed scorecard, that is just stupid.

Lots of issues getting blurred but from what I gather....

Faldo is saying the drop is a crime against humanity and tiger should walk off the course in shame for it or risk scorn for the rest of his life for dirtying his sport. Ridiculous over reaction.

Fans are pitching a fit that he should be DQed for signing because they don't realize the rule was changed and are accusing the PGA of ignoring the rules for ratings

And in reality, it was a simple stroke penalty that was handled pretty well and the only reason it was even noticed or reported on was it is tiger.

Not sure if you saw it but Faldo said that without seeing what actually happened with the committee, and now he supports the decision of the two stroke penalty.

Lots of issues getting blurred but from what I gather....

Faldo is saying the drop is a crime against humanity and tiger should walk off the course in shame for it or risk scorn for the rest of his life for dirtying his sport. Ridiculous over reaction.

Fans are pitching a fit that he should be DQed for signing because they don't realize the rule was changed and are accusing the PGA of ignoring the rules for ratings

And in reality, it was a simple stroke penalty that was handled pretty well and the only reason it was even noticed or reported on was it is tiger.

As said above, Faldo was saying it before he learned what happened, and now agrees. Tiger was discriminated against because he is Tiger not once, but twice, as two TV reviews were the reasons that it was even brought into question.

All in all, he lost four strokes for a near perfect shot. I also always thought, but apparently I'm wrong, that you could move it back a couple yards from the original shot as the "advantage" would be the closer distance. And there are some shots when you can move it back.

So, Faldo was about the signed scorecard then?

Yes.

As said above, Faldo was saying it before he learned what happened, and now agrees. Tiger was discriminated against because he is Tiger not once, but twice, as two TV reviews were the reasons that it was even brought into question.

All in all, he lost four strokes for a near perfect shot. I also always thought, but apparently I'm wrong, that you could move it back a couple yards from the original shot as the "advantage" would be the closer distance. And there are some shots when you can move it back.

Yes.

I'm no expert on the rules on spotting but it seems atleast slightly hazy.

And Faldo should be embarrassed to give a statement like that unless he's 110% sure of the incident.

I'm not sure what it says about the PGA that they rely so heavily on call-in viewers...

That its a sport that doesn't have to get it right within 25 seconds?

Though I think there should be a limit here. How late can they adjust? Two strokes could easily change how a guy plays future holes (aggressive vs protecting a lead).

I'm no expert on the rules on spotting but it seems atleast slightly hazy.

And Faldo should be embarrassed to give a statement like that unless he's 110% sure of the incident.

The whole thing was VERY unusual with numerous different elements involved. I don't agree with what Faldo said but it's understandable that he and others would feel that way before the whole story came out. But it wasn't at all IMO a case of jumping the gun or talking before all the facts came in. They would have no idea what really happened. Golf is notorious for almost all of its players and officials being obnoxious sticklers to the letter of the law versus the spirit. I think I heard today that the new rule was put in two years ago but hadn't ever been used before although I am not sure if that is true.

99% of the time, Faldo would have been right. You sign a faulty scorecard regardless of the circumstances and you're disqualified.

That would have been my instinct too, and it would have been wrong. But how could tiger, a pro, and his caddie not know that?

That would have been my instinct too, and it would have been wrong. But how could tiger, a pro, and his caddie not know that?

Not sure. Some of those shots that go out of bounds or in the water, depending on the set up of the hole, have four or five different options for the golfer. And I know some of them allow you to take the ball back. He probably just confused the specific rule on that specific kind of hole. I know there were four options he could have taken on that one. He could have hit it out of the water, he could have hit at the spot where the hazard first comes into play, he could have shot from the specific drop area on that hole, or he could have shot from where he did, where he first struck the ball.

Per ESPN:

He could drop the ball, keeping the point where it last crossed the margin of the water between the hole and the spot on which the ball would be dropped. Since the ball entered the water well left of Woods' position from the fairway, Woods did not choose this option – which would have allowed him to drop on a straight line as far back as he wanted.

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

That its a sport that doesn't have to get it right within 25 seconds?

Though I think there should be a limit here. How late can they adjust? Two strokes could easily change how a guy plays future holes (aggressive vs protecting a lead).

The timing isnt what Im worried about, as much as leaving it up to home viewers to police the sport. Seems kinda bush league and puts the popular players under much more scrutiny.