Why are people thinking OL with 1st pick?

There is simply no way we will find a C or G at our pick that will make the immediate impact that Chris Villareal has. To me the impact he has made on this team is that he has started and played at high level from the day he got here.

With Eric Moulds restructuring there must be money spent on another OL who can step in from day one and play at the level needed for this team to go to the playoffs (Let's hope Drew follows Eric's example.).

My hope is that we will get a late 2nd rounder for Travis Henry and a mid-2nd for Jonas Jennings if we tag him as I expect we will. While I like Jennings he is going to price himself out of Buffalo and he's just not durable enough to make a long-term and Pace-type investment.

That opens a hole at LT that I believe must be filled with a 1st round LT or FA, not a 2nd round project. My vote goes to picking up two FA OL, LT and LG. If we have to draft these players I feel we will be taking a step backward and with a new QB this could make the transition a painfull one.

If it's my call I trade our 2nd and next year's 1st to get into the 1st round of this draft and grab the best available TE which is what this offense will desperately need with a rebuilt OL and a new QB. Then I'd use our two remaining 2nd rounders (1 for Travis and the other for Jonas) on a CB, OC, FS, or OG. Not a chance I'd use it on a K. I would use a 3rd on a K though.

Just my opinion....

There is simply no way we will find a C or G at our pick that will make the immediate impact that Chris Villareal has.

199032[/snapback]

I agree with you on the O-line. With a low 20 pick in the second round we will not find an Olineman that can come in and make this line better from the start. There are usually Guards floating around FA every year that can make an impact. The only problem is, the same is not normally true with tackles. Every year there are a list of good tackles that will be FA's, and every year they are taken off the board before free agency starts by signing with their own teams.

The safest bet is to re-sign Jennings, and hopefully his asking price isn't TOO high.

As far as trading up for a tight end, I disagree. I haven't heard of any TE's coming out this year that are projected to have a big impact. Cambell was starting to play very well before he got hurt. He was making the catches that earlier in the season he was dropping, and he was becoming a weapon in the red zone. Maybe someone who pays more attention to college can throw out a name or two, but I don't think there are any TE's this year that will be an upgrade over what we already have.

If we are somehow able to trade up into the 1st round, that pick should be used on the O-line or maybe even CB. I think TE would be a wasted pick.

As far as trading up for a tight end, I disagree.  I haven't heard of any TE's coming out this year that are projected to have a big impact.  Cambell was starting to play very well before he got hurt.  He was making the catches that earlier in the season he was dropping, and he was becoming a weapon in the red zone.  Maybe someone who pays more attention to college can throw out a name or two, but I don't think there are any TE's this year that will be an upgrade over what we already have.

If we are somehow able to trade up into the 1st round, that pick should be used on the O-line or maybe even CB.  I think TE would be a wasted pick.

199035[/snapback]

I think there are going to be two TE's in this draft that could be stars :

Heath Miller (6-5 255) from Virginia and Alex Smith (6-4 255) from Stanford.

No way Campbell is the same player after his injury and it's even less likely he will be ready to start the year.

Of course I would take a talented big,physical CB over either of these players but they would have to drop and considering everyone wants one of them I just don't see that happening.

There is simply no way we will find a C or G at our pick that will make the immediate impact that Chris Villareal has.  To me the impact he has made on this team is that he has started and played at high level from the day he got here.

With Eric Moulds restructuring there must be money spent on another OL who can step in from day one and play at the level needed for this team to go to the playoffs (Let's hope Drew follows Eric's example.).

My hope is that we will get a late 2nd rounder for Travis Henry and a mid-2nd for Jonas Jennings if we tag him as I expect we will.  While I like Jennings he is going to price himself out of Buffalo and he's just not durable enough to make a long-term and Pace-type investment.

That opens a hole at LT that I believe must be filled with a 1st round LT or FA, not a 2nd round project.  My vote goes to picking up two FA OL, LT and LG.  If we have to draft these players I feel we will be taking a step backward and with a new QB this could make the transition a painfull one.

If it's my call I trade our 2nd and next year's 1st to get into the 1st round of this draft and grab the best available TE which is what this offense will desperately need with a rebuilt OL and a new QB.  Then I'd use our two remaining 2nd rounders (1 for Travis and the other for Jonas) on a CB, OC, FS, or OG.  Not a chance I'd use it on a K.  I would use a 3rd on a K though.

Just my opinion....

199032[/snapback]

I agree about the O-line but no way would I give up next years #1.

There is simply no way we will find a C or G at our pick that will make the immediate impact that Chris Villareal has.  To me the impact he has made on this team is that he has started and played at high level from the day he got here.

My hope is that we will get a late 2nd rounder for Travis Henry and a mid-2nd for Jonas Jennings if we tag him as I expect we will.  While I like Jennings he is going to price himself out of Buffalo and he's just not durable enough to make a long-term and Pace-type investment.

That opens a hole at LT that I believe must be filled with a 1st round LT or FA, not a 2nd round project.  My vote goes to picking up two FA OL, LT and LG.  If we have to draft these players I feel we will be taking a step backward and with a new QB this could make the transition a painfull one.

If it's my call I trade our 2nd and next year's 1st to get into the 1st round of this draft and grab the best available TE which is what this offense will desperately need with a rebuilt OL and a new QB.  Then I'd use our two remaining 2nd rounders (1 for Travis and the other for Jonas) on a CB, OC, FS, or OG.  Not a chance I'd use it on a K.  I would use a 3rd on a K though.

Just my opinion....

199032[/snapback]

I completely agree. Now I know everyone likes O-Lineman, I do to...but can we really afford to wait another 3 years to let an O-Lineman pick develop? This team is ready to compete in 2005 with the proper adjustments, and drafting a 2nd round O-Lineman to me would be a move that would be planning for the future instead of getting the team ready for this upcoming season.

I'd make all of our O-Line improvements in the free agent market, get guys who are already developed and know how to play the game. Maybe no one spectacular like Jones or Pace, but solid contributers like Villarial last year who can hold up and control their spot on the line.

Then for the Draft, save that 2nd rounder for Mike Nugent, a player who can step in immediately and upgrade a weak spot on the team.

Starting Offensive Lineman can be found in the draft. Maybe not that often, but finding rookie starters in the draft is tough, period.

The Chargers selected their starting Center, Nick Hardwick with their second pick in the third-round, 66th overall.

They selected their starting Right Tackle, Shane Olivea, with their second pick of the seventh-round, 209th overall.

There's a couple examples. It can be done.

People shouldn't get their hopes up in getting high draft picks for Henry or Jennings. It remains to be seen if Bills can muster the cap space to franchise Jennings - in 2004, that number was $7mil and will be higher than that in 2005. I think that the realistic trade figure for Henry is at best 3rd round, although 4th is more likely given his history of histrionics this year.

Staring caliber LTs rarely coime up on FAs, that's why Jennings will be at the top of the class this year. Thus, it may be wise to keep him.

Best bang for the buck in late 2nd round will likely be LB or TE. Maybe we can get a shot at a C/G.

Just my opinion....

199032[/snapback]

Sorry, but I whole heartedly disagree with you.

A Free Agent LT like Pace or Jones would be wonderful, but would cost as much as 40 or 50 million dollars. Jennings and as I recall Fabini were both 3rd round picks, and they turned out to be good players.

I can almost NEVER see a situation that is an appropriate time for a GM to pass on a player in the draft who he thinks will be a very good offensive lineman.

A case could be made the Bills offensive line is what ruined our quarterbacks, forced Kelly to retire early, and doused any superbowl hopes for us in the last 10 years. There are holes to fill, and I would be filled with joy if the Bills take a blocker with their first selection.

Sadly, I dont expect them to, and predict that they will go with a cornerback. :D

NEVER DRAFT FOR NEED.  Drafting for need gives you Eric Flowers and Traveres Tillman instead of Keith Bulluck and Laverneus Coles.

Best player on the board.

200436[/snapback]

Darin, I generally agree, but would not say "never." Ruben Brown was as much of a "need" pick as I have ever seen, and it worked, no?

I think it be wise to sign a veteran OG to at least compete for the starting LG spot. Yet at the same time think drafting someone early is wise too since Chris V is over 30 and don't see any long time answers on the roster.

In terms of TE, I think Campbell and Euhus, if healthy, are a good one two punch. I know many have called for big names like Franks and Jones but I don't see the Bills using big money at TE. I know Donahoe said he was going to address the position in a Buff News article, I think this could mean just bringing in a veteran to "compete" for a roster spot. I saw that Dave Moore is expected to be an UFA and could be a short term answer if we need Campbell or Euhus to recoop. I could also see us trying to land a guy like Cushing of the Steelers, who coud come in and give us 3rd string blocking TE which we currently lack.

Darin, I generally agree, but would not say "never." Ruben Brown was as much of a "need" pick as I have ever seen, and it worked, no?

200441[/snapback]

Looking back, the only players that come close to meeting the criteria in that draft are Derrick Brooks (28) and Ty Law (23). At the time, both had the knock of being undersized for the NFL. While Rueben is probably a peg below them over his career, it's not THAT big a drop. Most GMs would be ecstatic with coming up with one of the three of them. The stars lined up that time - which is the exception rather than the rule.

Speaking of that draft, the Pats picked:

Ty Law

Ted Johnson

Curtis Martin

Jimmy Hitchcock

Dave Wohlabaugh

Damn.

I think it be wise to sign a veteran OG to at least compete for the starting LG spot. Yet at the same time think drafting someone early is wise too since Chris V is over 30 and don't see any long time answers on the roster.

In terms of TE, I think Campbell and Euhus, if healthy, are a good one two punch. I know many have called for big names like Franks and Jones but I don't see the Bills using big money at TE.  I know Donahoe said he was going to address the position in a Buff News article, I think this could mean just bringing in a veteran to "compete" for a roster spot. I saw that Dave Moore is expected to be an UFA and could be a short term answer if we need Campbell or Euhus to recoop. I could also see us trying to land a guy like Cushing of the Steelers, who coud come in and give us 3rd string blocking TE which we currently lack.

200469[/snapback]

The question is will either be healthy enough. Rarely are players the same the first season back from knee surgery. I wouldn't bank my offense on TWO gimpy TEs and Ryan Nuefeld.

The question is will either be healthy enough.  Rarely are players the same the first season back from knee surgery.  I wouldn't bank my offense on TWO gimpy TEs and Ryan Nuefeld.

200483[/snapback]

If looking for a one year solution then sign someone like Itula Mili or Cam Cleeland to a one year deal to hold down the fort but won't kill you from a cap perspective.

Guest BackInDaDay
NEVER DRAFT FOR NEED.  Drafting for need gives you Eric Flowers and Traveres Tillman instead of Keith Bulluck and Laverneus Coles.

Best player on the board.

200436[/snapback]

I agree, unless there's a kid that can fill an immediate need, who's a bargain (2nd to mid-rounds). I'm optimistic Euhus can rehab well enough to be an impact in '05. I really liked his receiving and blocking skills. Nuefeld may know our system, but that's about the best I can say for him. The only way he could have had more wiffs against a Pittsburgh team, is if he was batting against ol' Doc Ellis.

If looking for a one year solution then sign someone like Itula Mili or Cam Cleeland to a one year deal to hold down the fort but won't kill you from a cap perspective.

200490[/snapback]

I curious to see what's going to be available at that position both in FA and the draft when our selections come up.