Still dismayed by personnel decisions

Dr. K

If they kept Andy there would be NO money for any one else ,Clemens the same deal, & Winfield the same. If we would have done something to keep them every other year we would have been in the same mess as the Jets are right now.

The thing that does tweak me off is, if you do want to keep them why not start negotiating early & at least put some kind of offer on the table ?? That way you can at least say you tried.

But when if you want you can get a guy like Warmack to replace Andy for 4 to 5 years for less than half the money to me thats a no brainer ! Of coarse you would like to keep your good players but unless it's a CJ Spiller or A. Peterson you don't break the bank .

And if you spend all that money on Andy what will be left to try & sign Spiller next year ? You have to think big picture & what is coming up in the near future .

2 years & Andy will be on the trading block b/c the Titans won't be able or willing to pay out his contract . Plus Buddy has been great at bringing in really good line talent ...

the Bills have money I disagree there.

But I completely agree with the rest.

The Time to Sign Wood to an extension is today.

The Time to Sign Byrd to an extension is today.

The Time to extend Spiller is today.

Not next off season.

Look it up now.

You know you want those players get it done now. Not later. It makes zero sense to wait.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If they kept Andy there would be NO money for any one else ,Clemens the same deal, & Winfield the same. If we would have done something to keep them every other year we would have been in the same mess as the Jets are right now.

The thing that does tweak me off is, if you do want to keep them why not start negotiating early & at least put some kind of offer on the table ?? That way you can at least say you tried.

But when if you want you can get a guy like Warmack to replace Andy for 4 to 5 years for less than half the money to me thats a no brainer ! Of coarse you would like to keep your good players but unless it's a CJ Spiller or A. Peterson you don't break the bank .

And if you spend all that money on Andy what will be left to try & sign Spiller next year ? You have to think big picture & what is coming up in the near future .

2 years & Andy will be on the trading block b/c the Titans won't be able or willing to pay out his contract . Plus Buddy has been great at bringing in really good line talent ...

Bolded = concept that resulted in a Twitter pissing contest with Tim Graham.

Your point/my point: Teams are incentivized to lock up players early, to prevent this from happening, to prevent having to overpay.

My counterpoint: Surely by now, agents are hip to this and simply won't enter into negotiations when they can gamble and let a contract ride. In Levitre's case, locking in for a marginal increase, over the long term is a worst case scenario for an agent, and given Levitre's injury non-history, one that was highly unlikely to come to fruition. Therefore, his agent--motivated by one thing and one thing only (getting his client the highest salary possible)--would have ignored and/or rejected any initiative to lock-in his client before his value peaked.

the Bills have money I disagree there.

But I completely agree with the rest.

The Time to Sign Wood to an extension is today.

The Time to Sign Byrd to an extension is today.

The Time to extend Spiller is today.

Not next off season.

Look it up now.

You know you want those players get it done now. Not later. It makes zero sense to wait.

the players still have to want to sign to a reasonable offer for it to make sense. its not like we can just tell them they have to sign.

the players still have to want to sign to a reasonable offer for it to make sense. its not like we can just tell them they have to sign.

Sure you can. B-)

That doesn't mean they actually have to sign.

I get it, but it doesn't appear nor is there any indication that any type of negotiation is happening the year prior to these key pieces being extended.

Bolded = concept that resulted in a Twitter pissing contest with Tim Graham.

Your point/my point: Teams are incentivized to lock up players early, to prevent this from happening, to prevent having to overpay.

My counterpoint: Surely by now, agents are hip to this and simply won't enter into negotiations when they can gamble and let a contract ride. In Levitre's case, locking in for a marginal increase, over the long term is a worst case scenario for an agent, and given Levitre's injury non-history, one that was highly unlikely to come to fruition. Therefore, his agent--motivated by one thing and one thing only (getting his client the highest salary possible)--would have ignored and/or rejected any initiative to lock-in his client before his value peaked.

If the agent ignores then you go to the player and say, "What is the deal with your agent, we want to extend your contract and they won't return my emails. "

You have a point specifically with Levitre but there is a pattern on One Bills Drive where there does not appear to be any effort to extend these guys until the last second.

Except for Fitz and Kelsay.

Edited by Why So Serious?

Sure you can. B-)

I get it, but it doesn't appear nor is there any indication that any type of negotiation is happening the year prior to these key pieces being extended.

If the agent ignores then you go to the player and say, "What is the deal with your agent, we want to extend your contract and they won't return my emails. "

You have a point specifically with Levitre but there is a pattern on One Bills Drive where there does not appear to be any effort to extend these guys until the last second.

And Jackson

CBF

Sure you can. B-)

And Jackson

CBF

And Stevie.

Outside of LG (and MAYBE TE depending on Chandler's knee), I don't see how we're significantly worse off at any position RIGHT NOW than we were going into the season last year ... And we still have the draft, remainder of FA, and camp cuts to fill those holes and more. I'm confident that by opening day the roster will be significantly improved over that of last year.

I don't expect them to set the world on fire this year, but from my vantage point it appears they are going about building a winner the right way. I still reject the notion that we're several years away from being a contender, and I hope to God the players and coaching staff don't feel that way, because if you go into the season with loser mentality you'll end up in the losers' circle. If Marrone is the coach we hope he is there is plenty of talent on the roster for the Bills to surprise people this year. It's not like we have a particularly tough schedule.

Outside of LG (and MAYBE TE depending on Chandler's knee), I don't see how we're significantly worse off at any position RIGHT NOW than we were going into the season last year ... And we still have the draft, remainder of FA, and camp cuts to fill those holes and more. I'm confident that by opening day the roster will be significantly improved over that of last year.

I don't expect them to set the world on fire this year, but from my vantage point it appears they are going about building a winner the right way. I still reject the notion that we're several years away from being a contender, and I hope to God the players and coaching staff don't feel that way, because if you go into the season with loser mentality you'll end up in the losers' circle. If Marrone is the coach we hope he is there is plenty of talent on the roster for the Bills to surprise people this year. It's not like we have a particularly tough schedule.

agreed. i dont think we took significant steps back anywhere, and i think we underachieved our talent last year. adding a couple key pieces too the mix, and having our cornerstone guys remain healthy and play to their capabilities and i think this team may surprise many on this board. i thought most were overly optimistic last year, but the current doom and gloom is likewise way too extreme if you ask me. we are a middle of the pack team - with a few good bounces and health we might well compete for the 6 seed, with a few key injuries and a couple plays going against us we could be picking top 10 again...

Edited by NoSaint

but if you keep drafting players to replace players you lost in fa you do not get better just stay the same same. If we draft a another to replace Andy then in 5 years do you let him go and redraft

honest answer, other than QB, most teams arent that radically different when you compare rosters. everyone is in a constant state of replacing the guy they lost. sometimes the stars align and you get a year or two where you gain a couple more than you lost but.... and the great teams will have a couple less holes when those stars do align, but generally speaking, its often the qb just making everyone look better. youll get some an outlier here or there due to a big contract that didnt work out hurting the cap, the normal cycles of losing a little talent here, but replacing it soon somewhere else... but the only huge separation from squad to squad is generally qb play (true of 95% of the nfl, obvious exceptions through history do exist)

Edited by NoSaint