A Few Thoughts About The "Best Player Available".....

You're missing the point. Staying on the topic regardless of sport /BPA , your scouts/evaluators/decision makers rate or grade potential talent for whatever sport entering they're draft year. These players should be rated and ranked according to their abilities to play in the league. From there you ID if they are Group1- 4 or whatever their grading system maybe...I agree with your NBA reference but you actually are proving my point. In the NBA (not trying to stray off topic) draft as you stated a team with the #1 pick would trade the overall pick in a heartbeat if the highest rank player at the time of selection isn't graded in either of the identifiable groups. In that league there are teams that trade 1st rd picks for 2nd's...Now if a game changer or difference maker is available then heck NO but you're actually supporting my stance...btw Anthony Davis is a PF and D. Howard is a center.

To go off-topic again, while Davis is a PF and Howard is a center, having both on the floor would create spacing issues (i.e. Howard and Gasol in L.A.). That doesn't mean L.A. would have passed on him if the second-best player on the board (not in practice) was Kidd-Gilchrist.

However, if the Patriots were drafting first in 2012, they would trade down instead of picking up Luck/RG3, despite both players being premier talents.

I agree with much of what you said, but I don't think you exactly grasped my point of comparison between the drafting "science" in the two leagues.

Also, I said that NBA teams *never* trade the first overall pick. The value of, say, the 15, 16, and 17 picks in the NBA Draft is far inferior to the value of the #1 overall pick, whereas, unless a top QB is available, teams wouldn't trade #1 for #15, #16, and #17.

Edited by ny33

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Best player available should always be balanced with positional importance, supply & demand and team needs.

Last year, most rankings had Matt Kalil, Trent Richardson and David DeCastro listed as the best overall players in the draft. But the Colts and Redskins would have been nuts to pass on Luck or RG3.

Most rankings had DeCastro ahead of luck? Lol. No.

To go off-topic again, while Davis is a PF and Howard is a center, having both on the floor would create spacing issues (i.e. Howard and Gasol in L.A.). That doesn't mean L.A. would have passed on him if the second-best player on the board (not in practice) was Kidd-Gilchrist.

However, if the Patriots were drafting first in 2012, they would trade down instead of picking up Luck/RG3, despite both players being premiere talents.

I agree with much of what you said, but I don't think you exactly grasped my point of comparison between the drafting "science" in the two leagues.

Also, I said that NBA teams *never* trade the first overall pick. The value of, say, the 15, 16, and 17 picks in the NBA Draft is far inferior to the value of the #1 overall pick, whereas, unless a top QB is available, teams wouldn't trade #1 for #15, #16, and #17.

Ok. I understand and see your point.