NFL Draft Attendees

ny33

The other players invited to attend, according to the source, are: Texas A&M offensive tackle,Luke Joeckel, Florida State quarterback EJ Manuel, Alabama guard Chance Warmack, Florida State defensive end Bjoern Werner, North Carolina guard Jonathan Cooper, Florida defensive tackle Sharrif Floyd, Oklahoma offensive tackle Lane Johnson, BYU defensive end Ezekiel Ansah, Texas safety Kenny Vaccaro, Alabama offensive tackle D.J. Fluker, Central Michigan offensive tackle Eric Fisher, Florida State offensive tackle Menelik Watson, Tennessee wide receiverCordarrelle Patterson, Florida State cornerback Xavier Rhodes, West Virginia wide receiver Tavon Austin, SMU defensive end Margus Hunt, LSU defensive end Barkevious Mingo and Alabama cornerback Dee Milliner.

Source: http://espn.go.com/nfl/draft2013/story/_/id/9128668/geno-smith-west-virginia-mountaineers-harsh-nfl-draft-scouting-report-untrue

Manuel is invited to attend, while Barkley is not. Among the conspicuously missing are Jarvis Jones, Dion Jordan, Sheldon Richardson, and Tyler Eifert. I've read other (less verifiable reports) stating that Eifert was invited to the draft.

The real news, then, is that Manuel was invited; I suspect the list of invited players is incomplete, but we can be sure that the above players are expected to be first-round picks. It'll be interesting to see what this means for Manuel's actual draft stock in the eyes of GMs.

Thanks for posting.

I'm not sure the report is accurate.

It lists the 19 players who have accepted invitations but there are more that were invited but turned down their invitation I'm pretty sure.

For instance, Manti T'eo definitely turned down an invitation to attend.

That being the case it's a bit hard for me to believe that Barkley wasn't invited. I would tend to believe that he was invited but turned down the invitation.

The real news, then, is that Manuel was invited; I suspect the list of invited players is incomplete, but we can be sure that the above players are expected to be first-round picks. It'll be interesting to see what this means for Manuel's actual draft stock in the eyes of GMs.

arent they moving on to inviting day two guys a lot of times too now, to give friday night a little extra excitement?

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/04/03/joeckel-floyd-smith-manuel-among-players-to-attend-the-draft/

"One player has publicly confirmed that he turned down a draft invitation: Notre Dame linebacker Manti Te’o, who is trying to stay out of the spotlight. A few well-known players, including USC quarterback Matt Barkley and Oregon defensive end Dion Jordan, have not yet committed."

I'm surprised by some of these names. EJ won't get picked day 1. I always feel bad for the guys that go and don't get picked and the camera focuses on them as they sit there all day waiting. I remember that happening to Brady Quinn and of course Aaron Rodgers but at least they got picked round 1. EJ is definitely a round 2 guy

I'm surprised by some of these names. EJ won't get picked day 1. I always feel bad for the guys that go and don't get picked and the camera focuses on them as they sit there all day waiting. I remember that happening to Brady Quinn and of course Aaron Rodgers but at least they got picked round 1. EJ is definitely a round 2 guy

no one thinks manuel might go top 5. the camera wont be on him every pick. its a totally different situation.

I'm pretty sure Manuel will be drafted in the second half of the first. I expect a team to trade up to, say, Minnesota or St. Louis' second pick for him.

Thanks for posting.

I'm not sure the report is accurate.

It lists the 19 players who have accepted invitations but there are more that were invited but turned down their invitation I'm pretty sure.

For instance, Manti T'eo definitely turned down an invitation to attend.

That being the case it's a bit hard for me to believe that Barkley wasn't invited. I would tend to believe that he was invited but turned down the invitation.

That's correct. I believe the list of invited players is incomplete; as you note, T'eo was reported to have been invited. However, I do think the players noted as invited were, in fact, invited to the draft, though it's unclear who has confirmed attendance.

As I said, it's more valuable for who was allegedly invited- Manuel- rather than who apparently was not- Barkley, Jordan, Richardson, etc.

arent they moving on to inviting day two guys a lot of times too now, to give friday night a little extra excitement?

Here's last year's list: http://www.cbssports...to-attend-draft

I'm not sure if any changes have been made this year to invite players expected to be second round picks. Last year, expecting Kuechly, the league was pretty on point with invites; Randle, Glenn, Upshaw, and Still appear to be the only guys who weren't drafted in the first (all were second-round picks). Notably, the league invited Hightower, who ended up being drafted higher than originally slotted by most media draft boards.

For me, this year's surprise (assuming the list is true) is that Margus Hunt was invited.

Edited by ny33

I'm pretty sure Manuel will be drafted in the second half of the first. I expect a team to trade up to, say, Minnesota or St. Louis' second

I'd be SHOCKED if Manuel goes in the 1st. I guess we'll see but I haven't heard that kind of buzz on him. He has all the tools but I think he's seen more as a project

I'd be SHOCKED if Manuel goes in the 1st. I guess we'll see but I haven't heard that kind of buzz on him. He has all the tools but I think he's seen more as a project

definitely a project, but definitely buzz as well. i wish we could afford the 3rd rounder it would take to move up and get him at 25 or whatever, cuz i don't think he falls to 41. not with all the QB needy teams at 33-40.

I don't understand how you can be so sure he "won't get picked day 1" and he's "definitely a round 2 guy". Now that might be your valuation but that's something different than saying you think every NFL team thinks that way. The reason watching Brady and Rodgers was so painful is because they were expected to go in the top portion of the draft. I dont' think anyone feels that certian about EJ so I don't see the harm in him being there. Even if he gets picked in day 2 as you suggest, that's where most have him slotted anyway so it wouldn't be a big surprise. If he does get picked earlier he'll be there to enjoy it.