Tyler Wilson - QB - Arkansas

Dave Kreig had tiny hands and did OK. Culpepper had small hands. I dunno anything about Wilson, but I don't want any measurement to determine his fate other than CAN HE PLAY?

I'd hate to lose another good QB because his measureables weren't right.

The all-time leader in fumbles? That Dave Krieg? Culpepper was among the annual league leaders in fumbles, as well.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The all-time leader in fumbles? That Dave Krieg? Culpepper was among the annual league leaders in fumbles, as well.

Knew that was coming.....but they were at least decent QBs. Not saying they were perfect...but there IS no perfect this year.

Knew that was coming.....but they were at least decent QBs. Not saying they were perfect...but there IS no perfect this year.

Well sure, no QB is perfect any year. But that's the fear of a QB with exceptionally small hands, right? It's no small thing (pun unintended).

While, slowly, I am buying into the whole Ryan Nassib deal, the guy I really liked all along the way is Tyler Wilson, as the title of this thread may imply.

There's about 25.000 articles out there that explore the ups and downs of his last college season. While that is true, nobody seems to doubt that Wilson has got all the tools to become a very good NFL quarterback.

Today, there is a short Interview with him on buffalobills.com. Watch that and a few of the interviews and press conferences with him that pop up on youtube.

I really like the guy. He seems to have the perfect demeanor. Check him out.

I've been advocating for Wilson all season. I would be extremely pleased if we are able to get him. RD 2 would be ideal, but we may have to pull the trigger in round one.

not overly impressed with Tyler Wilson. The Wilson I liked was the one that the Seahawks drafted in the 3rd round last year. Some of Russell Wilsons best attributes are where Tyler Wilson struggles the most, IMO: pocket presence and throwing accurate on the run.

The best QB's in this league all share one common attribute. They can all make plays in muddied pockets....

This is the one reason why I don't buy the "he had a horrible line and was running for this life the whole time" argument. He's not going to have a pristine line in the NFL, so he needs to learn to hang tough in the pocket. The last time we heard this excuse was when we drafted Losman. He could make all the throws, but his college success was stifled due to the poor line he played behind. Right.

Dave Kreig had tiny hands and did OK. Culpepper had small hands. I dunno anything about Wilson, but I don't want any measurement to determine his fate other than CAN HE PLAY?

I think small hands on a QB, when you play your Home games in Buffalo NY, is a definite detriment...If that measurement is correct (8-5/8") Wilson's hands are WAY small...Keep in mind Russell Wilson has size 10.25 hands at 5-11...That's the reason he's able to spin it the way he does...

I know it sounds crazy, but there's no way I would Draft Wilson to Buffalo with hands that small...No way... B-)

Both of those QBs had a propensity to fumble the football because of their small hands. If small hands equals fumbling, then I'll pass.

Kreig had major fumbling problems, if I recall correctly.

This is the one reason why I don't buy the "he had a horrible line and was running for this life the whole time" argument. He's not going to have a pristine line in the NFL, so he needs to learn to hang tough in the pocket. The last time we heard this excuse was when we drafted Losman. He could make all the throws, but his college success was stifled due to the poor line he played behind. Right.

That may be valid if the difference from yr 3-4 wasnt so drastic.

if you watch any Arkansas games from last season you would know that Wilson got clobbered every game, yet still hung in and made plays. His toughness is his MOST impressive attribute.

That may be valid if the difference from yr 3-4 wasnt so drastic.

if you watch any Arkansas games from last season you would know that Wilson got clobbered every game, yet still hung in and made plays. His toughness is his MOST impressive attribute.

Up until this point I would have said he reminded me a bit of Brett favre. But favre had huge hands. Unfortunately playing outdoors in buffalo small hands may be a liability.

"That's what she said" - Just an observation

:lol: !!!

Well Played... -But in all seriousness, I watched plenty of Tyler Wilson this past season and the one before. He did better with Petrino, but he has some very solid attributes. I think the "small hands" argument is a valid one, but Wilson puts a vulcan death-grip on the football, and puts plenty of spin on it.

I'd be pushing alot harder for him If I didn't believe this to be a once-in-a-generation draft for LB's and safeties. You look at guys like DJ Swearinger, Matt Elam, Mant'i Teo and Alec Ogletree, and you see a chance to set up a championship defensive backfield.

As much as I like Wilson, I wouldn't pass that up.

How many fumbles did he have in college?

It was 9 times in 27 games with 6 lost.

How about these other "big handed" QB's?

Geno Smith 24 times in 33 games.

That doesn't tell the whole story, though:

Tyler Wilson: 948 pass attempts + 110 rushing attempts + 46 sacks = 1,104 total touches

Geno Smith: 1,465 passing attempts + 245 rushing attempts + 78 sacks = 1,788 total touches

684 more total touches for Geno. Scramblers (Geno moves around more than Wilson--- not that he's a "runner") tend to fumble often if they don't protect the ball, but that is correctable for a young QB. Hand size is not.

Edited by Punch

Up until this point I would have said he reminded me a bit of Brett favre. But favre had huge hands. Unfortunately playing outdoors in buffalo small hands may be a liability.

Is this REALLY a concern? For the majority of the season cold weather isn't even an issue. And recently, it hasnt been an issue late in the season either. Plus, they make these things called gloves now, they help to grip the ball in bad weather.

if everything else checks out, and HAND SIZE is what keeps us from drafting a good player, that is sad.

Is this REALLY a concern? For the majority of the season cold weather isn't even an issue. And recently, it hasnt been an issue late in the season either. Plus, they make these things called gloves now, they help to grip the ball in bad weather.

if everything else checks out, and HAND SIZE is what keeps us from drafting a good player, that is sad.

If everything else checks out, he should be drafted. It's not the be-all end-all, but it's a concern, IMHO.