Old News

I went to the bottom of the TBD home page and selected "Last" and was surprised by how far back it went.

Some of the headlines on that oldest page read like they come from some manuscript just discovered in an archaeological ruin:

mark.gifHobert hopes to change luck [1:12 PM]

AP reports: "Hobert, a journeyman who was with Oakland and Buffalo, was cut by the Bills when he admitted after a loss that he hadn't studied the playbook."

But some things never change...

mark.gifArea business leaders will keep backing Bills [1:08 PM]

D & C reports: "A year ago, a committee of influential Buffalo businessmen teamed up to help keep the Buffalo Bills in Western New York."

Both stories are from June 17, 1999.

Nothing earth-shaking here but I was amused and thought others might be too.

It's like a manic depressive time machine of the past 13 seasons!

My favorite is all the hope us TSWers have before the season starts...then by week 7...we all succumb to "always next year" and/or "check out my mock draft for April"--when it's October

With the Byrd franchise tag...my hope level just went up a bit

Edited by KollegeStudnet

I like this one from page 1815

mark.gifRick Gosselin's NFL off-season ratings [1:15 PM]

Dallas News reports: "The Bills may be the most complete team in the NFL..." vs. "The Dolphins will run the ball." Yet, Miami & the Jets are picked higher. Looks like the reporters are again whetting their appetite for a heaping serving of crow!

Dallas News calling us possibly the most complete team in the league. Oh the good ole days (or the end of the good ole days)

I like this one from page 1815

mark.gifRick Gosselin's NFL off-season ratings [1:15 PM]

Dallas News reports: "The Bills may be the most complete team in the NFL..." vs. "The Dolphins will run the ball." Yet, Miami & the Jets are picked higher. Looks like the reporters are again whetting their appetite for a heaping serving of crow!

Dallas News calling us possibly the most complete team in the league. Oh the good ole days (or the end of the good ole days)

That team was loaded. If Daryl Porter stays in his lane on that kickoff return they may very well have won a SB with that team. And before anyone brings up their hero Flutie being benched.....the Tennessee game was the hardest game they would have played and the game was in the books when the QB's left the field that day. That's all there is to that. It's likely either one of Johnson or Flutie could have won it from there on out because that defense was SUFFOCATING and the competition was weak. The Jags and Colts were ripe for the picking, the Titans trounced them on the road after struggling mightily at home with Buffalo.........and the Rams........they were nearly shutout at home in the NFC Championship by a lesser Tampa team that was lead by QB Shaun King...a worse Qb than Flutie or Johnson.... and a very good Bucs defense that the Bills defense was still clearly better than. That team gets remembered as an afterthought but that was the best defense the Bills have fielded in the SB era and that was an era when a great defense could win you a SB without a great QB......something that is doubtful with the new rules emphasis in the NFL today. The offense had plenty of talent as well. It was a very complete team if complete doesn't include an emphasis on special teams. Wade didn't much like spending practice time on special teams.

That team was loaded. If Daryl Porter stays in his lane on that kickoff return they may very well have won a SB with that team. And before anyone brings up their hero Flutie being benched.....the Tennessee game was the hardest game they would have played and the game was in the books when the QB's left the field that day. That's all there is to that. It's likely either one of Johnson or Flutie could have won it from there on out because that defense was SUFFOCATING and the competition was weak. The Jags and Colts were ripe for the picking, the Titans trounced them on the road after struggling mightily at home with Buffalo.........and the Rams........they were nearly shutout at home in the NFC Championship by a lesser Tampa team that was lead by QB Shaun King...a worse Qb than Flutie or Johnson.... and a very good Bucs defense that the Bills defense was still clearly better than. That team gets remembered as an afterthought but that was the best defense the Bills have fielded in the SB era and that was an era when a great defense could win you a SB without a great QB......something that is doubtful with the new rules emphasis in the NFL today. The offense had plenty of talent as well. It was a very complete team if complete doesn't include an emphasis on special teams. Wade didn't much like spending practice time on special teams.

I'd call this nailin it. Excellent post BADOLBEELZ. eusa_clap.gif