Is this the worst time ever to be a Buffalo sports fan??

I can't remember the last time that things were so bad for buffalo sports. The Bills have been "developing" and "building" for the last 13 years with not much to show for it. The sabres have not been in the playoffs in 3 years and just fired there coach of 15 years. I spend countless hours reading and listening to buffalo sports talk with the hope that one day B-Lo sports will be relevant again!! It seems like when we have good players we have bad coaching, or when we have a good coaching staff we don't have enough talent. Why Can't Buffalo sports just put it ALL together for once!?

IT WAS the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness, it was the epoch of belief, it was the epoch of incredulity, it was the season of Light, it was the season of Darkness, it was the spring of hope, it was the winter of despair, we had everything before us, we had nothing before us, we were all going direct to Heaven, we were all going direct the other way- in short, the period was so far like the present period, that some of its noisiest authorities insisted on its being received, for good or for evil, in the superlative degree of comparison only.

Tale of Two Cities...no, not Buffalo & Toronto!

IT WAS the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness, it was the epoch of belief, it was the epoch of incredulity, it was the season of Light, it was the season of Darkness, it was the spring of hope, it was the winter of despair, we had everything before us, we had nothing before us, we were all going direct to Heaven, we were all going direct the other way- in short, the period was so far like the present period, that some of its noisiest authorities insisted on its being received, for good or for evil, in the superlative degree of comparison only.

Tale of Two Cities...no, not Buffalo & Toronto!

I was very moved by your prose.

You should be a writer.

Personally, I think the Bisons are going to kick butt this year.

The sabres would have a asterisk next to a cup win this season thanks to

the lockout. No Thanks. I'll wait.

The Bills are a bit harder to gauge. The yearly win against KC is even questionable now.

Playoff run by 15, or they may have to think about rebuilding...............................

Sabres 84/85-86/87. Lost to Quebec in the 1st round 3 games to 2. Game 5 was a 6-5 loss in which they had a lead in the third.. Missed the playoffs the next 2 seasons. Perreault retired. That finished off the Scotty Bowman era in which he dismantled a pretty damn good hockey team. Bills 84-86. 2-14. 2-14. 4-12. By 86 we did have Kelly, Talley, Reed and Bruce. Marv showed up in the middle of the 86 season. Had no idea how any of those guys would do though and had no idea what was about to happen strarting in 1988. 1985 was probably the worst year ever.

We have a ten year deal to keep the Bills in Buffalo. Ralph is no longer meddling. I'd say that's good news.

The Sabres have bottomed out but they have an owner who will spend any amount to make them better. Good news.

UB football blows and they extended the coach anyway. Okay that sucks...for me anyway.

PTR

The Dark Days: 1977-78.

1977 Bills finished 3-11 under Jim Ringo, A week 4 game at the brand new stadium against the Jets drew a whopping 32000.

Many Bills fans committed suicide by mid season.

The 77-78 NBA Buffalo Braves finished 22-55 and departed for the west coast where they are now the LA Clippers.

The 77-78 Sabres broke a lot of hearts when they lost 5 of the last 7 to give the Adams Div. to the Boston Bruins by 8 points

And the winter reeeeeealllly sucked.

The Dark Days: 1977-78.

1977 Bills finished 3-11 under Jim Ringo, A week 4 game at the brand new stadium against the Jets drew a whopping 32000.

Many Bills fans committed suicide by mid season.

The 77-78 NBA Buffalo Braves finished 22-55 and departed for the west coast where they are now the LA Clippers.

The 77-78 Sabres broke a lot of hearts when they lost 5 of the last 7 to give the Adams Div. to the Boston Bruins by 8 points

And the winter reeeeeealllly sucked.

I and others lived through that and similar dark periods.

It's a part of the Buffalo sports experience.

Part of me wants to forget such times but I think it's also important to remember them.

If nothing else it helps keep things in perspective.

The worst time to be a Bills fan in recent history was probably 2000 or 2001, as we were at the front end of a 13 year (and counting?) slide. No matter how long the drought lasts, we are 12 years closer to its end then we were in 2001.

kj

The worst time to be a Bills fan in recent history was probably 2000 or 2001, as we were at the front end of a 13 year (and counting?) slide. No matter how long the drought lasts, we are 12 years closer to its end then we were in 2001.

kj

lol...Now there's a beer mug half full

kj

What if our drought is less than half over?

I can't remember the last time that things were so bad for buffalo sports. The Bills have been "developing" and "building" for the last 13 years with not much to show for it. The sabres have not been in the playoffs in 3 years and just fired there coach of 15 years. I spend countless hours reading and listening to buffalo sports talk with the hope that one day B-Lo sports will be relevant again!! It seems like when we have good players we have bad coaching, or when we have a good coaching staff we don't have enough talent. Why Can't Buffalo sports just put it ALL together for once!?

It is much easier to narrow down the small/short sections of time when it was a good thing to be a Buffalo sports fan. The 1980's and the first half of the 1990's weren't all that great either. That is why it is so good to be an owner of a sports team in Buffalo-you don't have to put a whole lot into winning (and they don't), because you know that no matter how terrible the product is, the fans are still going to support you.

kj

Kinda disagree, in that at least all Bills fan in 2000 or 2001 could at least remember them being decent and playing in the playoffs. There has to be a good percentage of the young Bills fans now that have no recollection of them contending for anything except a top draft pick.