windows 8- anyone care to comment on it?

Pete

I need to do a clean install on a desktop, and I am debating between windows 7 and 8. From what I read, 8 is radically different and there is a learning curve trying to use. The reviews are mixed. Does anyone have experience with it?

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I used the beta. Didn't like the big icons -- they're clearly made for a phone/tablet/touchscreen. That said, you can still get to a desktop and then things work very similar to what you're used to with some improvements to boot.

Here's a review from the site I write for (not my review though):

http://www.neowin.net/news/review-windows-8-the-hybrid-os-has-arrived

I used the beta. Didn't like the big icons -- they're clearly made for a phone/tablet/touchscreen. That said, you can still get to a desktop and then things work very similar to what you're used to with some improvements to boot.

Here's a review from the site I write for (not my review though):

http://www.neowin.ne...-os-has-arrived

Thank you for your input. The review had some helpful info. Yep, that's what I gather. There is also no start button. I am torn between 7's familiarity and 8's template for the future

System I like the most on PC or mobile is android. I don't want to upgrade from 7 to 8 partly for that reason. Don't want to invest in learning a new PC OS that I know is trying to steer me to MS mobile that I know I won't adopt. I'm intrigued by the Google chrome books, and thats most likely my next toy when I purchase a PC or laptop sometime down the road.

BTW I'm hearing both windows 8 and mobile are bombing in the market.

BTW I'm hearing both windows 8 and mobile are bombing in the market.

While not a runaway success, I'm sure most companies would be happy with the sales figures of Win8. A month after release, MS had sold 40 million.

http://www.neowin.net/news/microsoft-40-million-windows-8-licenses-sold-so-far

Here's some data from Steam as well:

http://www.neowin.net/news/windows-8-close-behind-windows-xp-in-latest-steam-hardware-survey

As for the OS itself - while it's true there's no start menu, you can add it if you really want:

http://www.neowin.net/news/stardock-3-million-start8-downloads-version-11-launched

While not a runaway success, I'm sure most companies would be happy with the sales figures of Win8. A month after release, MS had sold 40 million.

http://www.neowin.ne...ses-sold-so-far

Here's some data from Steam as well:

http://www.neowin.ne...hardware-survey

As for the OS itself - while it's true there's no start menu, you can add it if you really want:

http://www.neowin.ne...ion-11-launched

heres a much more recent assessment, and no, things are not going well.

New report shows Windows 8 sales remain sluggish; no significant growth in sight

That latest sales figures for Windows 8 are far from encouraging: It has only a 2.26 percent market share as of the end of January, trailing not just Windows 7, Windows XP, and Windows Vista, but even Mac OS X 10.8. So reports NetApplications. This doesn't bode well for the ultimate success of the operating system.

The latest NetApplications figures for January show Windows 7 with a 44.48 percent market share, Windows XP with 39.51 percent, Windows Vista with 5.24 percent, Mac OS X 10.8 with a 2.44% market share, and Windows 8 with 2.26 percent.

Microsoft can't be pleased. As CNet notes, at a comparable time in Windows 7's release cycle, it had already garnered 7.71 percent market share, more than three times Windows 8's uptake.

http://blogs.compute...nt-growth-sight

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

If you are doing a clean install and can get windows 8 as easily/same money as 7 then get 8. It's a no brainer. You lose nothing once you get past a couple slightly different things and you gain some optional stuff that stays out of the way unless you want it. Go 8. Unless you have to buy a new license. If that's the case, it isn't worth it.

Ouch! This really scares me off from installing 8

Sounds like you had your mind made up and are looking for "facts" to back up why you want to install Windows 7. If that's the case, then go for it - it'll work fine. SameOldBills is 100% correct I think.

Windows 8 isn't gaining huge market share yet because people are fine with Windows 7. There's really no compelling reason to blow away 7 and upgrade to 8, and PC sales have been dropping lately for several different reasons. But if you're starting off from scratch, it doesn't make sense to buy 7 anymore. I think the Steam data (from a couple of weeks ago) is very telling -- people who play games on their PC are far more likely to buy new hardware more frequently, which is why 8% of Steam users are running Windows 8.

Keep in mind that Surface and Windows Phone are both built upon the Windows 8 kernel as well -- so it's not going anywhere.

If you are doing a clean install and can get windows 8 as easily/same money as 7 then get 8. It's a no brainer. You lose nothing once you get past a couple slightly different things and you gain some optional stuff that stays out of the way unless you want it. Go 8. Unless you have to buy a new license. If that's the case, it isn't worth it.

Unless you're gaming on it. Gaming performance on Windows 8 in some situations isn't as good a windows 7.

My PC hard drive crashed so when I bought a new drive and rebuilt the system I went with Windows 8. Installing it was a bit of a pain - installs assume an existing Win7 install on the system. I got the OS to install but I actually had to call Microsoft to get it to activate (luckily Microsoft tech support is actually pretty good).

I've been using Win8 for a few weeks - I'm not seeing a huge difference on a desktop machine - I usually just stay within the destop screen which acts pretty much like Win7. I suppose if I was on a tablet I'd avail myself to more to the tile and apps that are now part of Windows, but I haven't done much with that yet. At the end of the day things are pretty much the same as they were on Win7 the way I'm using it.

Really? That's the first I've heard of that. What situations?

TBH, I don't remember, because it had to do with specific configs. I read a while ago that certain combinations of hardware + certain games were having performance issues on Win 8, and one of my friends ran into it with EVE Online.

Ouch! This really scares me off from installing 8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTYet-qf1jo

Pretty funny.

He does make some valid points, though.

My daughter in law has an HP Win8 laptop. She loved it for about for the first 2-3 weeks.

Now, she can't stand it. (it was an Xmas gift, so returning the item is not option).

She likes to borrow my son's laptop (a Win7) because she "can get $&%* done".

One of her biggest gripes is the "swipe" issue brought up in the video.

She says that alone will annoy and frustrate the hell out a person.

Sounds like you had your mind made up and are looking for "facts" to back up why you want to install Windows 7. If that's the case, then go for it - it'll work fine. SameOldBills is 100% correct I think.

Windows 8 isn't gaining huge market share yet because people are fine with Windows 7. There's really no compelling reason to blow away 7 and upgrade to 8, and PC sales have been dropping lately for several different reasons. But if you're starting off from scratch, it doesn't make sense to buy 7 anymore. I think the Steam data (from a couple of weeks ago) is very telling -- people who play games on their PC are far more likely to buy new hardware more frequently, which is why 8% of Steam users are running Windows 8.

Keep in mind that Surface and Windows Phone are both built upon the Windows 8 kernel as well -- so it's not going anywhere.

Other than trying to find out whats best for my needs and a casual interest in market trends, I have no axe to grind. but it sounds like your partial to MSFT.

One thing you've sort of hit on thats a growing problem for MSFT (debate about 8 notwithstanding), is how more and more mobile is driving end user decisions (and how its being driven less and less by PC). that dilutes their influence. MSFT could play the game of copying DOS when they only had a plodder like IBM to deal with but with a hard chargers like Google and Apple so far in front on the mobile, its hard to see a scenario where MSFT can be a leader again.

btw, doesnt sound like Gates is satisfied with their performance either (the few moments when hes not being evasive anyway)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0K6LNegCaDs

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

Other than trying to find out whats best for my needs and a casual interest in market trends, I have no axe to grind. but it sounds like your partial to MSFT.

Nope, I'm actually a UNIX guy. :) But people saying "Win8 sucks!!!!! I like Win7 much better!!!" are just focusing on the start screen and ignoring the fact that they can use it exactly the same way they use Win7 if they want. Like I said earlier, it's not worth paying money to upgrade to Win8 (if you don't have a touch screen), but if you're starting from scratch, it's just silly to stick with 7 at this point.

One thing you've sort of hit on thats a growing problem for MSFT (debate about 8 notwithstanding), is how more and more mobile is driving end user decisions (and how its being driven less and less by PC). that dilutes their influence. MSFT could play the game of copying DOS when they only had a plodder like IBM to deal with but with a hard chargers like Google and Apple so far in front on the mobile, its hard to see a scenario where MSFT can be a leader again.

MSFT is still the dominant player in the desktop arena, and they are also #1 in consoles. They're changing their entire product line to focus on mobile. Between the Surface RT and Surface Pro tablets, Windows Phone, and Windows 8 (and I suspect the upcoming Durango as well), they're creating a single environment and that could be huge going forward. I can see a time when you'll be able to link these devices up and use them seamlessly. They already have a Windows Phone 8 app for Windows 8 ( http://www.neowin.ne...ndows-8-updated ). Throw in Xbox connectivity to all of the devices (Xbox SmartGlass is a good first start), and you can see easily see how MSFT could dominate the market (and they still own the vast majority of the desktop market, even if it isn't the sexiest of markets anymore).

Will they? Don't know. But they're well positioned and have a lot of money and current marketshare, so anything's possible.They're not the old, plodding Microsoft anymore. The one thing you can't dispute is that they're making changes and not copying anyone at this point.

Yeah that's the point: they're not able to leverage off of their PC os because the PC has given way to the smart phone and tablet as the driver of end user decisions. If you want to project into the future look at growth rates. And they're not on msft's side. Google's android is devouring market share. I myself am looking for an alternative to windows and with apple not an option I'm very interested in google chrome books. Also because they're cloud-based computing, another thing I see myself embracing at some point.

Msft had their chance years ago when PC dominance coulkd be leveraged, but IMHO that train had left the station.

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

I upgraded to Win8 and reverted back to Windows 7 after a couple of weeks. I just didn't see the point of the new interface unless you have a touch screen. One of the first things I installed was Pokki which is a free download which puts a start button on the desktop. In other words, it makes Windows 8 function more like Windows 7. There are a bunch of similar programs around that do the same thing. But if so many people are downloading something to make Windows 8 work more like Windows 7, maybe they should be using Windows 7 instead.

To me the apps ran slower than regular desktop programs. You even have to play Solitaire using an app rather than just opening the program from the desktop. Plus you have to sign in with your Microsoft ID in order to play. Once you start a game, it's hard to flip to another program while you are playing. For instance, say you want to listen to music with WinAmp while you play the Solitaire App, it's a hassle to change songs while playing the game. There's probably a way to do it, but none were apparent to me when I used it.

Another gripe I had was that until you change your preferences, your pictures, videos, music all open up in the Windows 8 apps and take you back to the Tile screen and the apps open in full-screen. Yes, you can figure out how to open 2 apps at once on your desktop which is great until you remember that in other windows versions you can have unlimited windows open.

I also found out that Windows 8 doesn't work with most scanner software. I scan quite a bit using my Brother printer and paperport software but Paperport does not work in Windows 8 or at least it didn't work in late 2012. I found a work around using another software but it was rather clunky. This was probably the main reason that I went back to Windows 7.

Also, I have always used the free Avast software for anti-virus. Although it installed fine, it caused my computer to crash several times a day until I finally uninstalled it and used Microsoft Essentials.

Unless you have a touchscreen computer, I can't see any compelling reason to use Windows 8.