Can't believe there are still fans out there

nodnarb

We've seen Bledsoe's ceiling. This season was as good as he gets. And that's not good enough. He actually had a "career season" this year, folks. His rating was right on his career average. His completion percentage was too. His TD-INT numbers were within 5 of each other again.

If Bledsoe wasn't such a good guy, he'd be widely considered to be the most overrated quarterback of all time.

The most important aspect of drew's game is that he's completely unable to hoist the team on his shoulders and win a big game against a tough defense. When was the last time Drew beat a top 5 defense in a big game, and played a key factor in that win? It was several years ago, in New England.

Drew has not only hit the wall, he has backed up and run into it at least 3 more times since first impact. There is no way in hell that, with the investment we have in Losman, this team SHOULD put Drew in control again. If he wants a paycut to hold the clipboard and help Losman develop, fine. Otherwise, I'd rather he be traded...even if its for a lowly 4th round pick.

Drew's value has dried up on Buffalo's watch. Belichick saw it coming, and he was right again. There's no way in HELL that drew is worth the 5 million he's slated to get next season. That number will make it unlikely that we could ship him off to the Parcells for a mid round pick. He'd have to restructure AGAIN, or be cut.

There are fans out there who seem blind to the truth. They'll point to 9 wins and say hey, that's a big improvement.

No, it's not. We played 2 games against defeated, humiliated teams with no playoff shot and NO HEAD COACH. We beat one of them (the Browns) DESPITE Drew's performance. GO back and look at his numbers. He played like crap and we still won thanks to our D. Drew does not have the ability to pull this team up, to elevate them by his play. If he was able to, he would have. Instead, our D and ST pulled our team up.

It's time for JP, even if he's not ready. It'll do more for the team's confidence than any other move, and that's evident after hearing Moulds' comments.

The Bledsoe era in Buffalo is over. It has to be. If it's not, then I've overrated One Bills Drive and our coaches. But I don't believe that. I believe they realize the situation we're in, and I believe we'll be saying goodbye to Drew at some point in the offseason. This will free up all his $, and with Moulds' restructuring, we'll be able to afford a backup QB who fits this offense better.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't believe there are fans out there still starting threads about this.

196931[/snapback]

I believe they're trying to break a Guinness book of records mark.

It's got to be getting pretty close by now.

Go for it fellas, I'll clear out for a few days to give you more space to attack this

record.

Good luck!

Good points Brandon.

But once again, Drew has the out that he has been through two coordinators in the last two year. There is an adjustment period for him to go through. And although he didn't have great stats this year his team was 9-7.

If I was running the team I would be hesitant to let Drew walk or put him in the backup role simply because it's A. Obvious from the comments by Moulds and TD that JP is getting better but he's not ready B. He's better than any other short term options we have.

If Bledsoe wasn't such a good guy, he'd be widely considered to be the most overrated quarterback of all time.

196921[/snapback]

Good post and good point: Drew get's cut a lot of slack because he is a nice guy and cares about the 'team'. If he were even the least bit surly or a malcontent he'd be lucky to still be in the league with his record of folding in big games and other known weaknesses.

Bledsoe is basically a 'Nice' Jeff George. Both are/were the prototypical QB with strong arms and both fall way short when push comes to shove. George would get people excited during brief periods when he'd get to air the ball out to good WR's but ultimately he would do something (or act like an ass to boot) to let the team down yet again.

I can't believe there are fans that want to start a rookie who is 6'3" and weigh 160 pounds. He is a hard stare away from a life threatening injury. He has a shotput style release and his ability to get any zip on the ball is very questionable. On top of it the time he had a change to actually play and throw the ball this year he looked like the backup peewee QB from the worst team in the league throwing the ball to the players standing right in front of him.

I am sure with that ability a lot of Free agents will want to come here and live with 2 years of bulking up to prevent injury and a complete reworking of the release while learning an NFL playbook. I am also sure that our wide receivers will be happy to get hung out to dry every "high pass" that is thrown because he forgets to steps into and get zip on it. I am also sure our top shelf defense will love to see two more years wasted on a QB that has no chance of doing anything other than scrambling and hoping he doesn't get hurt. You think Vincent or Milloy won't gun for him during practice if they name him the starter?

I can't believe there are fans that want to start a rookie who is 6'3" and weigh 160 pounds.  He is a hard stare away from a life threatening injury.  He has a shotput style release and his ability to get any zip on the ball is very questionable.  On top of it the time he had a change to actually play and throw the ball this year he looked like the backup peewee QB from the worst team in the league throwing the ball to the players standing right in front of him. 

196972[/snapback]

Bwahaha...are you kidding me? So many inaccuracies here I don't know where to start. FIrst off, he's 6.3 217. secondly, he DOES NOT Have a shotput release. He has a GREAT release. Wyche said he had the best release of all the QB prospects in the draft. RIVERS has a shotput style. Get it right.

I can't believe that people think all 11 people on the field have as much impact on a teams chances vs. the 1 person who handles the ball on every snap. Damn that Trey Teague for holding the ball too long!! Damn Lee Evans for not seeing a rusher coming at him on his non-blind side!!! Damn Willis McGahee for throwing passes too low or behind the receivers!!!

The most important aspect of drew's game is that he's completely unable to hoist the team on his shoulders and win a big game against a tough defense.

196921[/snapback]

nod, you touched upon the key point with this line above. Drew is not able to hoist a team on his shoulders and win a big game. This is certainly a great way to have your team win an SB, but it is simply not the only way. In fact, since far more teams have a history of not winning the SB than do, the team records themselves are not despositive for a particular line of reasoning.

However, there are ample cases of the failures of a team to do well and certainly win it all where they have devoted huge parts of their cap to get the best of QBs who can haul a team to a win only to have that team be too weak overall to win it all.

My cut on the QBs role in the modern era:

2003- Brady has developed the ability to carry a team (mostly through tremendous decision making under pressure), though NE has realized and played in a way that succeeds because he rarely has to.

2002- Johnson is no one to rely on to carry your team and he did little things but mostly made no fatal mistakes as his role.

2001- Brady was in development to the player he was today but could not carry a team.

2000- Dilfer could not carry a team

1999- Warner's play at the time could carry a team but of course had tremendous help from a Faulk led running game, a solid OL led by the newly acquired Pace and a remarkable receiving corps and he has not reenacted that talent before or sense-

97 & 98- Elway clearly could carry a team like few others in history but ironically could never get over the top until he realized he had to not take $ he deserved in the market to hang onto players like Davis and Sharpe to get the crown.

96- The same is true for Farve who took less than his market value to hold onto his running game.

I also disagreed with the decision to resign Bledsoe because I think OCs when coaching him become too enthralled with his arm and depend upon him to put the team on his back when his extraordinary arm cannot be relied upon to do this when (and most QBs cannot). I think Kevin Killdrive was a prime example of this when he repetitively went to the pass on 3rd and less than 2 less season (some folks have him going this 30 something times in a row which may not be true but is easily believable given watching the Bills).

I think Bledsoe himself made this tendency worse by taking a pass-happy game call and even when a running play was called he would audible to a pass when he saw the least little opportunity to pass because he is so darn overconfident (as most good athletes are actually).

MM/Clements did a great job by adopting a run and then run again attitude towards making our offense hum. Even better, the reduced the number and type of audibles which Bledsoe could call which simplified the O for Bledsoe and the receivers and I think limited the pass-happy nature of things.

I agree that Bledsoe has limitations that reduce him to being an average starting NFL QB. However, he is average because that is how the upside of his extraordinary arm and years of experience balance out with him being inaccurate often on shorter passes and going into brainlock when given too many options. Parcells and BB both showed how you can win big with his combination of strengths and deficits and that has been true of him since the start and appears to be true now as well.

I'd fault the Bills Sunday for panicking a bit, making mistakes (the turnovers and the Lindell miss) and getting away from our gameplan. it would be great if we did not have to ask Bledsoe to do things he is unlikely to do, but it is far from essential that the do those things as long as the team plays like a TEAM even against the best of opponents.

The fact is that his salary is at about the level that is too large but not rediculous for a starting QB in the NFL of his talent. There are players like Manning and Farve who can carry a team but they are paid $14 mill. and $10 mill to do this rather than the $5.whatever mil Bledsoe gets. Even worse, there are folks like Brunnell and Warner with cap hits well over $8 million for sitting on the bench and Couch at over $7 million for whatever he is doing.

The Bills strike me as able to do better than Bledsoe, but with the plans we have if we stick to them we can easily wait to see how JP looks and possibly even win with Bledsoe if we get the breaks like NE got making the playoffs in 2001 and the refs application of the tuck rule against a better Oakland team way back then.

I can't believe that people think all 11 people on the field have as much impact on a teams chances vs. the 1 person who handles the ball on every snap. Damn that Trey Teague for holding the ball too long!! Damn Lee Evans for not seeing a rusher coming at him on his non-blind side!!! Damn Willis McGahee for throwing passes too low or behind the receivers!!!

196991[/snapback]

If all Trey Teague did was snap the ball you might be able to better support your position- the fact that upon snapping the ball Mr. Teague has further duties tends to diminish the argument that the only guy who doesn't have to bang around with the opposition on every play is the most important guy on the field.

If all Trey Teague did was snap the ball you might be able to better support your position- the fact that upon snapping the ball Mr. Teague has further duties tends to diminish the argument that the only guy who doesn't have to bang around with the opposition on every play is the most important guy on the field.

197064[/snapback]

Riiiiiight.

Riiiiiight.

197070[/snapback]

You young'uns never got to watch Old Man Manning play. I'd guess he'd be happy to let you know who the most important guys are on the offensive side of the ball!

196991[/snapback]

Technically speaking, the center touches the ball every play, not the QB. Direct snap to the RB... :blink: So that must mean Teague is more important, based on your analysis.

CW