Pats not going to use tag on welker

mead107

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I put 100% of his success on him being good and not just Tom Brady. In 2006 he started just 2 games and still managed to catch 67 balls for almost 700 yds with Joey Harrington and Daunte Culpepper throwing him the ball. Belichick saw something no one else did and forked over a 2nd rounder for him. Welker is just THAT good.

If he came for a decent price, I'd say sign him. Welker is freaking amazing and still serviceable.

There is truth to what you are saying but this is 2013, not 2007. That said, I still stand by the thought that the once-in-a-generation QB made Welker what he has been in the last few years.

CC: Deion Branch

That's Brady more than Welker. Anyone the Pats plug in will have similar numbers.

PTR

This is exactly what I'm inclined to think. Patriots got Welker from Miami for nothing. Brady, along with a great supporting cast, made Welker as great as he seems to be. As another poster stated, a lot of Welker's success is having the ball placed between the numbers 90+% of the time.

He's going to be way overpriced, which is why the Patriots have gone the last two years without tagging him.

He's not worth it, and they know it.

This is exactly what I'm inclined to think. Patriots got Welker from Miami for nothing. Brady, along with a great supporting cast, made Welker as great as he seems to be. As another poster stated, a lot of Welker's success is having the ball placed between the numbers 90+% of the time.

He's going to be way overpriced, which is why the Patriots have gone the last two years without tagging him.

He's not worth it, and they know it.

They tagged him last year for over $10M. But they won't again since it will cost them $11.4M and so he'll be a UFA and leave since someone else will pay him. The question is, do they pay Lloyd his $3M roster bonus or let him become a UFA as well?