Gil Brandt of NFL.com evaluates College QBs by Numbers

ganesh

Matt Barkley had a very good 2012 season by practically any measure: 63.6 completion rate, 36 TDs/15 INTs, and 8.5 ypa (the highest of his career). It was slightly worse than his 2011 season, but it was still terrific. It's not his fault that SC lost to Oregon by two scores despite the offense putting up 51 points. It wasn't Barkley who gave up 730 total yards to the Ducks. Nor did he give 588 yards to a mediocre Arizona team.

http://www.sports-re...-barkley-1.html

Edited by dave mcbride

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Several recent mocks show the Rams taking Barkely at #7-overall, just before we pick. I can't believe St. Louis will give up on Sam Bradford, a #1-overall pick, after just 3 seasons - so let's keep our fingers crossed and hope Matt Barkley falls into our lap...

A four-year starter and three-time captain, Barkley is probably the most prepared guy in this group in terms of readiness to be an NFL quarterback. There are some questions about his athletic ability; it's going to be interesting to see what he does in the athletic drills at the NFL Scouting Combine. He had a much worse season in 2012 than he did the year before; if I had used his stats from 2011, Barkley would have scored much higher. The question is, will teams get the Barkley of 2011 or the Barkley of 2012? He was also injured at the end of the season. I wouldn't be surprised if, by the time the draft rolls around, he's the second quarterback taken...

GO BILLSSS!!!!

19 and 0 baby!!!!! :beer:

you are confusing the Rams with the Cardinals.... probably becuase of the St.Louis connection. The Cardinals pick 7th, and are often slated a QB. Rams don't pick until 16th.

It mya be illogical to think a simple fan would know more than Brandt, but I can't remember ever thinking he knew what he was talking about... I only see the reasons he was fired. 20 years ago. Could be wrong, i just don't put much stock in him usually. However, in THIS case i tend to agree more than not. I don't like Glennon at all, and i see where he's coming from on most. That said i like Tyler Wilson best and if we can get him in the 2nd round thanks to his down year (after maybe on O-lineman or OLB or WR in the first), that would be great.

you are confusing the Rams with the Cardinals.... probably becuase of the St.Louis connection. The Cardinals pick 7th, and are often slated a QB. Rams don't pick until 16th.

It mya be illogical to think a simple fan would know more than Brandt, but I can't remember ever thinking he knew what he was talking about... I only see the reasons he was fired. 20 years ago. Could be wrong, i just don't put much stock in him usually. However, in THIS case i tend to agree more than not. I don't like Glennon at all, and i see where he's coming from on most. That said i like Tyler Wilson best and if we can get him in the 2nd round thanks to his down year (after maybe on O-lineman or OLB or WR in the first), that would be great.

ouch...guess I forgot the Cardinals moved! :doh:

of course I meant Arizona...guess I my bad...hepatic encephalopathy has apparently beset me :oops:

so forget what I said about Sam Bradford too - my mind must be elsewhere these days

but remember what I said about MB - for the Bills, getting Barkley is the key to everything this coming season and beyond...

GO BILLSSS!!!!

19 and 0 baby!!!!! :beer:

Edited by The Senator

Matt Barkley had a very good 2012 season by practically any measure: 63.6 completion rate, 36 TDs/15 INTs, and 8.5 ypa (the highest of his career). It was slightly worse than his 2011 season, but it was still terrific. It's not his fault that SC lost to Oregon by two scores despite the offense putting up 51 points. It wasn't Barkley who gave up 730 total yards to the Ducks. Nor did he give 588 yards to a mediocre Arizona team.

http://www.sports-re...-barkley-1.html

Short, stocky and unathletic is a horrible starting point in today's NFL if you're looking for your next franchise QB. I look at him and I see Colt McCoy and Greg McElroy. I view Ryan Nassib the same way.

Yes - I know Bray is a much better prospect. What I meant was that when people talk about Buffalo taking Bray, they usually talk about Bray being a second option - not the guy you select because he's sure to be a good starter, but because he could be really good, if he can harness his talent and be consistent. He's often talked about as the second QB to take, if the Bills were to take one in the first and then maybe one in the 3rd or 4th. In that sense - taking a second QB because he COULD be very good, if his talent pans out and is consistent. Bray, though - he reminds me of Dan Marino, actually, when I watch him pass.

I think Barkley will prove to be the most pro ready, and also will be very good in the NFL, and I think the Bills might have a shot at him at 8. If so, I just can't see them passing on him. If he and Geno Smith are gone, I'm all for taking a LB/DE hybrid and a QB in the second. Then again, if they took Wilson with the 8 pick I wouldn't mind - as long as they have confidence in him as a franchise type QB.

There are some not so minor concerns about Barkley's shoulder injury. If he doesn't pass muster with the medical staff at the combine, he's gonna slide.

GO BILLS!!!

I disagree with you only a little. I believe that the most important ability for a QB is accuracy like you said. But ONLY if its accompanied by the experience of at least three seasons as the unquestioned starter. Guys have burst onto the scene after having a great season, get drafted high, then suck in the NFL. If they have 3 years starting at a Major school like the SEC, big 10, Pac,10, big 12, then it is far more likely that they can handle the pressure of being an NFL starting QB. Pressure is the one thing nobody talks about. But some guys blow out every year because they cant handle it. I would rather have a guy like Barkley or Smith, then anybody else.

Win Percentage, accuracy, and starts are the best way to determine QB play, and they have been for a while. No one year wonders! say that again please, No one year wonders! This method is proven. time and time again. Look back at past drafts, and see all the One Year Wonders who have failed, versus the guy who started and played, and won, and was accurate. THOSE guys did well in the league.

I don't disagree. I'm only saying accuracy is the most important aspect when it comes to evaluating a QB's passing ability. Arm strength, release time, other mechanics, etc. are lower on the list when scouts look at throwing ability. There is far more to being a QB than just passing the ball and of course experience is an important element to being a QB.

GO BILLS!!!

could very well be that. But his college resume at the time made him a bit of reach.. All it does is back up my feeling that there will be 2-3 1st rd QB's drafted, and many of them have better bodies of work then those drafted in 1st rds years prior

everything would of changed if we took a 1st rd QB.

you're thought process is the nothing has changed mentality. You have it backwards.

the only QB worth taking at #8 is Geno Smith, after that it's dicey. Maybe Barkley. if you tell me Geno Smith is not worth the #8 then I give you a big fat eye roll.

In the same breathe I believe the pickins will be much slimmer when we pick in round 2. Plenty of teams will move on some of the remaining QB's before we get our 2nd round pick

Read Mel kipers article about this years QB draft, he said if Brandon weeden was in this draft he would be the #1 QB drafted. Brandon Weeden!!!!! U still think Geno is worth it, Marrone owned him everytime.