Just Jack

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Soccer field don't have a uniform size?

No they don't. The standard that you will find at nearly all professional soccer stadiums (I've always found it interesting that there are virtually no domes, but that's for another conversation) are right around 120Y x 75Y. Here's a site that details the minimum and maximum sizes set forth by FIFA and the requirements for a field hosting an International Game http://www.soccer-fans-info.com/soccer-field-layout.html

Now. If they can just get the NHL to make the slab of ice bigger, maybe safety won't be such an issue. Not saying that to hijack things but, widening the football field, will that lead to a bit more safety with impacts?

EDIT: Just read the article... I guess they are thinking the same about safety.

Actually if its wider you are likely going to have players more spread out so in theory the chances of the mega receiver hits wont be as frequent.

Yeah, sorry if I don't believe that this will have any impact in preventing either of those things...It's just an excuse to suggest radical change. That also doesn't explain why the NHL is considering expanding the playoffs to 20 teams. That certainly has nothing to do with preventing injuries.

You can't hit what you can't catch and a bigger field and ice surface (in hockey) greatly offsets the gains made in human physical size, ability, and technology (especially in hockey with better skates and what not).

IMO.

Without knowing for sure, I'd bet the NFL and NCAA have minimum setbacks for how deep the sidelines are for the sake of safety.

Just because the room exists doesn't mean that it would safely fit. Football sidelines have benches, equipment, tables, etc.

Also the fields have setbacks so you don't have players running into retaining walls.

As I said upthread, IF you increase the size of the field, do so incrementally. A small increase could have a huge effect. An additional 2160 square feet of space (gained by widening the field one yard on each side) is significant.

Fair enough. Go to Google Earth and fly to say The Ralph or other stadiums that use fake turf (easier to see the lines)... Maybe expand he field to where the thick, white edging is, say @ The Ralph. Make that the out of bounds dimension. That is a gradual increase.

you could make the game even more exciting by having the walls detonate when players run into them. when players explode the fans could all do a friday after next cheer 'you got blown the fk out!'. good times

I wouldn't sit there unless The League provided the fans Gallagher esque ponchos for the front row... LoL... Who wants blood and guts all over their cool Bills Zubaz gear! ;-)