TEs in the modern NFL

Rockinon

I found this article on TE's and how they are used. It's a very good read.

http://www.fieldgull...own-the-varying

I really think the Bills offense could benefit from having a couple of top notch tight ends. What do you think?

Great or even good tight ends are the single biggest mistmach facing the majority of NFL defenses. Very tough to scheme against.

Is this really a new trend? Antonio Gates, Shannon Sharpe, Tony Gonzalez are HOF TE's and have been doing it in the past and currently for more than a decade. Gronk did not reinvent the TE position. He is just a better blocker than most of the recieving threats have been in the past. Remember when the Bills almost got Tony Gonzalez? How different the Trent Edwards DJ era might have been with Gonzalez and Lee Evans teamed together?

Is this really a new trend? Antonio Gates, Shannon Sharpe, Tony Gonzalez are HOF TE's and have been doing it in the past and currently for more than a decade. Gronk did not reinvent the TE position. He is just a better blocker than most of the recieving threats have been in the past. Remember when the Bills almost got Tony Gonzalez? How different the Trent Edwards DJ era might have been with Gonzalez and Lee Evans teamed together?

When your as old as I am, 10 years is a very short period of time.

Martellus Bennett and Jared Cook are both free agents -I think the Bills could retain Byrd and Levitre and still get one more high level FA so you have to choose carefully where you want to spend your money

The author of that article seems to think there are some very good TEs in the draft too. Can't say I disagree. I think the Bills were very limited last year when they lost David Nelson. Many considered him more TE than WR because of where he lined up. The thing that I love about the TE position is how versatile it is. The TE can be a big bodied FB like Corey McIntyre or a faster more athletic receiver. Is he going to stay in and block or slip out and catch a pass? Whether he is stationary or going in motion presnap, he has to be accounted for.

As posted in another thread. Brandon Myers may be an under the radar value. He's no big name but he played solid in 2012.

For the Bills, I would rather spend the first three rounds on QB and LB.

The new TE's that this league features are chaos on LB's. When teams try to package defenses with a large S the offense kills the play and checks to run thus gaining an advantage on the smaller defense. Remember 43 is the mike? that's what happened. We tried, and failed, to stop this new TE. This was not the fault of the DB's this was the fault of the DL. They got owned. The DE's were not quick enough to break down the middle of the field, and the DT's were not strong enough to hold the gap. If we want to stop the TE we need to adjust our defense.

If we want to take advantage of the TE position on offense we need to look at what options we have. David Nelson (pretty sure he is a RFA), McIntyre (FA), Dickerson (RFA), and Caussin (RFA) can fill this role in varying perspectives. A big, strong player on the line that pull defenders in closer to the action is always a good thing and when you have an explosive Spiller who can bounce the ball to the places that defenders are not then you have an advantage. We will get Nelson back and that is going to be a big asset.

Chandler is a Redzone threat. A player who scores and beats mismatches when in close combat. He needs someone in the middle to stretch the field, and if he can stay healthy we will see an improvement this year with a TE. Is that going to be enough? I do not know...