The 53 Year Anniversary Bills Wall of Shame Awards

Meathead

Was Ryan Neufeld considered at TE? I think taking up a roster spot for five years and only recording 13 catches deserves some recognition. (He started 7 games over three different years.)

Euhus had 14 catches, but only took up a roster spot for two years.

Ryan Neufeld was used as a TE/HB/FB, and he was mostly used as a blocker, which he did a good job of and he was good on special teams. So I give him a pass.

• Replies 326
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You're right.

Definitely the frontrunner with a coaching record of 2-23-1.

http://www.pro-footb...hes/JohnHa0.htm

The one thing that gives me some doubt is that Johnson took over very week teams and bombed with them. Before he took over in 1968 the team won 3 games (he then won 1 in 1968) and they won 3 in 1970 (he then won 1). In fact from 1967 to 1972 the Bills had a combined record of 17-64-4 and never won more than 4 games in a season. 1972 brought Lou Saban to turn things around. Johnson basically had nothing to work with.

Consider that Kay Stephenson took over a playoff caliber team from Chuck Knox that still had most of the players that made the playoffs in 1981 (10-6) and were just under .500 in the strike shortened 1982 season (4-5). He then proceeded do steer the franchise into another ice age by first going 8-8 in 1983 and then 2-14 in 1984 and 0-4 in 1985 before he was fired and Hank Bullough finished the job. He was the transitional figure between the Knox era and several years of darkness with him and Bullough before Levy was hired.

The one thing that gives me some doubt is that Johnson took over very week teams and bombed with them. Before he took over in 1968 the team won 3 games (he then won 1 in 1968) and they won 3 in 1970 (he then won 1). In fact from 1967 to 1972 the Bills had a combined record of 17-64-4 and never won more than 4 games in a season. 1972 brought Lou Saban to turn things around. Johnson basically had nothing to work with.

Consider that Kay Stephenson took over a playoff caliber team from Chuck Knox that still had most of the players that made the playoffs in 1981 (10-6) and were just under .500 in the strike shortened 1982 season (4-5). He then proceeded do steer the franchise into another ice age by first going 8-8 in 1983 and then 2-14 in 1984 and 0-4 in 1985 before he was fired and Hank Bullough finished the job. He was the transitional figure between the Knox era and several years of darkness with him and Bullough before Levy was hired.

Great points.

Like I also said earlier, the Bills have no shortage of candidates for worst HC.

personally id go with bullough myself. i really think the guy was borderline mentally retarded. if he, mckelvin, and roscoe parrish mind melded youd still end up with the intellect of honey boo boo

but its hard to argue with johnsons record. stephenson was bad but he wasnt bullough bad, which to me means he wasnt johnson bad

personally id go with bullough myself. i really think the guy was borderline mentally retarded. if he, mckelvin, and roscoe parrish mind melded youd still end up with the intellect of honey boo boo

but its hard to argue with johnsons record. stephenson was bad but he wasnt bullough bad, which to me means he wasnt johnson bad

I am not sure Harvey Johnson should be a contender for head coach since he was never hired as head coach. He was the long-time player personnel director for the Bills. In 1968, after Joel Collier got us off to an 0-2 start including an embarrassing 48-6 loss in Week 2 to the Raiders, Ralph pullled the trigger and fired Collier and asked Johnson to be the interim coach where he proceeded to win one game (against the soon to be super bowl champ Jets) the rest of the way. He was replaced in 1969 by John Rauch.

In 1971, it got even weirder. During the summer, head coach John Rauch bad mouthed ex-Bills Ron McDole and Paul Maguire on a radio show in Buffalo. Wilson later told Rauch he was going to defend the ex-Bills. Rauch told Wilson if he did so, he would quit as head coach. Wilson defended the ex-Bills and Rauch quit right as training camp opened. Once again, Johnson was asked to fill in on a moments notice and Harvey led the Bills to a 1-13 record. He was replaced by Lou Saban.

While an obviously awful head coach, it is hard to blame a guy with an interim title and another man's coaching staff. Bullogh was at least hired as head coach at one point.

Great point.

What's a lousy team without an inept coach?

And the Bills have many candidates for this position.

Besides Stephenson, John Rauch, Harvey Johnson (perhaps the frontrunner), and Hank Bullough all deserve consideration.

In contrast to these men, Jauron and Gailey look like HOF head coaches.

wow gotta disagree on this one sjb....Gailey --altho a very good play designer--was a horrendous head coach.Horrendous.-And jauron only won games by dragging other teams down into ugly,awful football games(altho i guess that IS a technique for winning that has to count)--And altho jauron did manage to scratch out 7 win seasons --there was a hopelessness about his teams that was unique.

I though Kay stephenson was an OK coach. What leftover talent he had from knox was getting old.His teams played hard.

wow gotta disagree on this one sjb....Gailey --altho a very good play designer--was a horrendous head coach.Horrendous.-And jauron only won games by dragging other teams down into ugly,awful football games(altho i guess that IS a technique for winning that has to count)--And altho jauron did manage to scratch out 7 win seasons --there was a hopelessness about his teams that was unique.

I though Kay stephenson was an OK coach. What leftover talent he had from knox was getting old.His teams played hard.

Well regardless, we've had a lot of very bad coaches.

:cry:

we certainly have........its much easier to name the good ones...Saban,Knox.......Levy.....................................uhmmmmmmmmm

The only one you haven't mentioned who had a winning record is Wade. The only other one who managed a winning season was Mularkey.

Pretty short list for sure.

The only one you haven't mentioned who had a winning record is Wade. The only other one who managed a winning season was Mularkey.

Pretty short list for sure.

Joel Collier had a winning season as well in 1966 but that was with Lou Saban's leftovers and he was gone by 1968. (See above).

K- Nick Mikamyer. (Not sure how to spell his name but he was the absolute worst kicker ever..during our 2-14 seasons)

Nick Mikemayer kicked the winning field goal in 1980 against the Dolphins, didn't he? That alone puts him in the Bills HOF. Certainly better than Tom Dempsey, who coulda won it the year previous (how much did he miss it by?).

Nick Mikemayer kicked the winning field goal in 1980 against the Dolphins, didn't he? That alone puts him in the Bills HOF. Certainly better than Tom Dempsey, who coulda won it the year previous (how much did he miss it by?).

Mike-Mayer was in the 12 Days of Christmas song, that alone has to disqualify him from this.

Joel Collier had a winning season as well in 1966 but that was with Lou Saban's leftovers and he was gone by 1968. (See above).

You fell right into my trap.

:blush:

You are Mack Yoho aren't you?

Nick Mike-Mayer kicked the winning field goal in 1980 against the Dolphins, didn't he? That alone puts him in the Bills HOF. Certainly better than Tom Dempsey, who coulda won it the year previous (how much did he miss it by?).

A half a foot?

ok mack, tell us the story of why you were kicking so much in 1962/3 and why you went 50% on kicks from 50+ yards in 1960 but never tried one again after that

Because Billy Atkins was the primary field goal kicker in 60 and 61 and Cookie was the primary field goal kicker in 62. Yoho was the primary kicker in 63 and then Sideways Pete came along in 64.

You know the best part about Yoho were the kickoffs. From the moment he lined up to kick, the fans would yell "yooooooooooooo" and as he kicked it they would yell "ho". We should still do that.

Edited by Yoho