Buffalo Bills back to the future: Addressing the first Jets' game.

SBUffalo

http://buffalobillsd...ge-1/#comment-1

During the 2012 campaign, I could tell the Buffalo Bills were a lost cause during more than one game. Changing a few pieces here and there wouldn’t alter the results of a few losses. However, it’s still worth considering how a few guys, three in this case, could have changed the outcome of each Bills loss.

The problems with the first Bills’ loss, which came at the hands of the New York Jets 48-28, would require a list longer than Santa’s. Nobody seemed capable of making the right play unless they wore green. Ryan Fitzpatrick (this became a theme) made countless mistakes that ended in turnovers, andMark Sanchez, ringleader of the Rex Ryan circus, couldn’t be stopped. He sat comfortably in the pocket and picked apart the holes in Buffalo’s defense. Three players potentially available to the Bills this offseason come to mind when trying to turn the performance around.

alex-smith.png?w=356&h=215

John Martinez Pavliga via Flickr

San Francisco quarterback, Alex Smith, who reportedly wants his release sooner rather than later, Falcons cornerback Brent Grimes and Florida State defensive end Bjoern Werner would have done wonders. However, with addition must come subtraction so Smith replaces Fitzpatrick, Grimes replacesAaron Williams and Werner replaces Chris Kelsay.

The biggest difference between Smith and Fitzpatrick lies in their decision making. Neither has a huge arm, but Smith uses a smoother, more confident delivery to hit his target. Fitzpatrick’s delivery lacks consistency which leads to costly interceptions when he forces throws. Against the Jets, Fitzpatrick wound up with three early interceptions, including

by Antonio Cromartie, that Smith likely avoids. If you take those throws away then the Jets never obtain the momentum they used to run away with this one, making it a close game.

You want your quarterback to be capable of making consistent throws down the field, but Smith struggles there. However, he excels in making the right play which helps control momentum. Don’t think that Smith can’t compete in a high scoring affair, though. He led San Fran to victory in the greatest football game I’ve ever seen.

Mark Sanchez used to be called “Sanchise,” but now the only fun thing to say about him is “

.” A model of inconsistency, pressure works as the best way to rattle Sanchez. Unfortunately, Buffalo didn’t even record a single hit on the former GQ cover boy. That’s where Bjoern Werner comes in. Werner possesses the best pass-rushing ability out of any defensive end in the draft after recording 13 sacks his junior year. Putting Werner on one end also frees up Mario Williams to get to the quarterback.

When you pressure Sanchez he forces throws. When quarterbacks force throws, Brent Grimes feasts. Standing at just 5’10″, Grimes makes up for size with tremendous leaping ability. He recorded 11 interceptions between 2009-2010 before teams stopped throwing his direction in 2011 and an achilles tendon tear this year. On top of keying on mistakes, Grimes could have prevented the lapses in coverage that plagued the Bills. Stephen Hill got behind the Bills’ secondary three times, and Grimes’ physical play could have knocked Hill off his route early enough to prevent the big play.

Overall, adding these three players to the mix surely would’ve changed the landscape of an otherwise ugly loss to a bad Jets team. I believe with Smith running the offense, and Grimes and Werner helping out the defense the Bills could have come out with a 27-21 victory to start the season off right.

This is the first post in a series of posts I have for a blogging class. It would help me a lot if you guys could view them and maybe leave a comment or two on what you think. Remember: I am slightly limited by the class restrictions, and each post is NOT an endorsement of a certain player. I won't use a player more than once for this series, so I have to put in player that are popular names even if I disagree with the addition (example: I don't endorse Alex Smith, just think he would've helped the Bills in this situation).

Edited by DStebb716

The first Bills vs Jets game was Dec 8 1963 http://www.pro-footb...96312080buf.htm

(1960-62 NY was the Titans)

I'm not sure what you're implying here haha

I like everything about it with solid explanations and informative links.

However I do endorse Smith coming here.

I'm a link kind of guy. I always work under the assumption people have no idea what/who I'm referring to.

The pick six was Nelson's fault not Fitz's. The INT at the end of the Patriots game was Graham's fault. Since you don't know the play that was called, the assignement that was blown, or done correctly, you have no idea what you are talking about. You are just guessing just like anyone else watching the games.

The pick six was Nelson's fault not Fitz's. The INT at the end of the Patriots game was Graham's fault. Since you don't know the play that was called, the assignement that was blown, or done correctly, you have no idea what you are talking about. You are just guessing just like anyone else watching the games.

Well we just ask you.

If you're going to post in block style - with no indent on the first line, then use a double return at the end of your paragraphs. That makes them stand out more and is easier on the reader's eye and comprehension. Otherwise a long post will look like a giant run-on and you'll lose some readers as a result.