How would Fitzpatrick play outside of Buffalo?

ny33

http://insider.espn....izona-cardinals

The above article mentions the possibility of Fitzpatrick, if released, playing for the Cardinals. As someone who has had moderate success (to be generous) in a spread offense, the writer asks the question: How would Fitzpatrick do in Bruce Arian's offense?

If Fitzpatrick is released this off-season, which at this stage seems to have 50/50 probability, it would be interesting to see how he plays on another team; Arizona, Jacksonville, and Minnesota are a few teams I can see picking him up. If he succeeds on Arizona with Fitzgerald, that may be an indictment of Nix's drafting and the overall offensive talent. Mel Kiper recently called Cordy Glenn a bottom-7 LT in the league, which is harsh, but he had quite an up-and-down season. If we release Fitzpatrick and decide that a drafted QB is a worthwhile prospect, I'm very interested to see where his career goes.

You would never know because NO other coach except Gailey would start this clown. :thumbdown::doh:

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You would never know because NO other coach except Gailey would start this clown. :thumbdown::doh:

He wouldn't, because no other coach would dress him as starter

That's not necessarily true. He'd start over all of the Arizona QBs, for one.

AND TERRORISM!!

and youre racist

It wasn't Fitz's fault. It was George W. Bush's.

You said he loses us 3-5 games singlehandedly. Singlehandedly means on his own, with no other factors. If that happens, then the other 11 to 13 games are not his fault. Or else they'd be singlehandedly. That's the definition. How can you blame him for playing well enough to win 11 to 13 games? I'm curious. Does 11 and 5 not get you in the playoffs this year?

Also, try this little sentence, similar to yours.

"With a real defense, we win 8-10 games."

Hmmm.....

Probably "single handedly" is the wrong terminology, but IMO there were numerous games over the past three years when Fitz had the opportunity to make a difference in a close game and failed. Add to that the numerous throws that he makes in every single game where he just plain misses the open receiver, as well as the really bad picks, and you have the reason that most people on this board do not believe that Fitz is capable of being a good starting QB. Count me among them.

Bottom Line. Can Fitzpatrick EVER lead a team, any team, to a SuperBowl victory ? I highly doubt it. The point of playing is to win championships and he makes too many mistakes that just kill the whole teams morale. Heck, two years ago I was told by some Fitz apologist that they were satisfied just having meaningful games in November. We were I think 5-2 or something like that in 2011.But they lost every game in November, if I remember correctly. But this guy told me this AFTER they lost all those games. Man, some Bills fans have sunk real low. Well i"m Pi$$ed every year we lose and we are not going anywhere until we replace this QB with someone who CAN when a Superbowl. Satisfaction having a Bottom 10 QB is pathetic. If you have no QB you keep trying until you get one.

Bottom Line. Can Fitzpatrick EVER lead a team, any team, to a SuperBowl victory ? I highly doubt it. The point of playing is to win championships and he makes too many mistakes that just kill the whole teams morale. Heck, two years ago I was told by some Fitz apologist that they were satisfied just having meaningful games in November. We were I think 5-2 or something like that in 2011.But they lost every game in November, if I remember correctly. But this guy told me this AFTER they lost all those games. Man, some Bills fans have sunk real low. Well i"m Pi$$ed every year we lose and we are not going anywhere until we replace this QB with someone who CAN when a Superbowl. Satisfaction having a Bottom 10 QB is pathetic. If you have no QB you keep trying until you get one.

Amen.

Amen.

I'd like to know where this miracle cure QB is going to come from this year. I'd also like to know how much we have to give up to get him. I agree we need better QB play, but I don't see where it's going to come from......not in free agency and there damn sure isn't better in the draft. You can look at all of Fitz's flaws and ignore his strengths all while looking at highlight real of other QBs(without ever seeing the there flaws) all you want. Thing is, you won't ever actually improve by starting over with a rookie at least for a couple of years. I don't want that. It's what he Bills always do.

I'd like to know where this miracle cure QB is going to come from this year. I'd also like to know how much we have to give up to get him. I agree we need better QB play, but I don't see where it's going to come from......not in free agency and there damn sure isn't better in the draft. You can look at all of Fitz's flaws and ignore his strengths all while looking at highlight real of other QBs(without ever seeing the there flaws) all you want. Thing is, you won't ever actually improve by starting over with a rookie at least for a couple of years. I don't want that. It's what he Bills always do.

Funny you use the word "cure". Fitz is like a disease and the goal with any disease is to get rid of it and try to recover. Keeping the disease around doesn't allow the healing process to begin. Keeping Fitz around will never allow us to see the playoffs. Why is this still so hard for people to see?

I think many fans are writing off Fitz way too soon. I think the "real" Fitz is the guy who started the 2011 season before he busted his ribs. As for 2012, I think the loss of Cortez as QB coach and the addition of Lee totally messed Fitz up. How you gonna change a guy's mechanics at his age? Maybe some things can be tweaked, but it seems Lee tried to completely overhaul his mechanics. Fitz was probably thinking too much during his throws and not just playing. Additionally, it was the inopportune timing of Fitz's turnovers that hurt more than anything else (combined with stupid play calling by the HC). He threw 7 fewer picks in 2012 than in 2011. If the Bills defense performed even HALF as well as advertised in 2012, Fitz would have been adequate enough to get the Bills in the playoffs. Instead, he was always playing catch-up. His confidence is probably shot all to hell now thanks to Lee and Gailey's dumb play calling, but I still think the guy can play. Just tell him to throw the ball however feels natural to him -- and stop trying to !@#$ with his mechanics. Let him call some of his own plays when they run the no huddle and I think you'll see the same Fitz that started 2011 season. I'm NOT suggesting the Bills don't seek another QB as there is no one else on the roster after Fitz (maybe TJ, but we don't know). I'm suggesting the Bills draft a QB in 1st or 2nd round and/or also make a play for any decent free agent QBs that come available. However, I'd like to see Fitz be allowed to compete for the job under the new coaching staff and see what happens. Whoever earns the starting job gets it. If nothing else, we have a solid backup who is very familiar with his receivers and could step in at any moment and perform decently.

Edited by ChasBB

A few bounces here and some luck = fritz not throwing picks in every possible game winning drive we had. Yes, our defense sucked, but when the game was on the line, he did too. Every time. If Jason Campbell was our QB last year, I'd bet we would have had a better record and a better running game. NO ONE is worried about fritz beating them deep. That matters. A lot.

Fitz audibles play and under pressure in his own endzone (hardly even stepped into his throw), hits a dead-on strike to TO (ball travels about 50 yards in the air):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxCWzyUtFbY

He's thrown a few other good deep balls, too. It's not something he does a lot and there certainly are other QBs with stronger arms. I wish Fitz did have a stronger arm, but he is capable of getting it downfield when called upon to do so.

Edited by ChasBB

Fitz can't throw downfield, and isn't great at anything else either.

How Spiller managed to get the yards he did on the ground with a QB like Fitz, who isn't any threat at all, is simply beyond me. :huh:

Because we have an excellent OL that gets down to the 2nd level and pave the way and our WRs have been very good blockers downfield.

Fitz audibles play and under pressure in his own endzone (hardly even stepped into his throw), hits a dead-on strike to TO (ball travels about 50 yards in the air):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxCWzyUtFbY

He's thrown a few other good deep balls, too. It's not something he does a lot and there certainly are other QBs with stronger arms. I wish Fitz did have a stronger arm, but he is capable of getting it downfield when called upon to do so.

Agreed...That throw to Stevie against the Steelers in overtime was a great throw....Just that Stevie couldn't catch a ball that fell into his arms in stride..

I think many fans are writing off Fitz way too soon. I think the "real" Fitz is the guy who started the 2011 season before he busted his ribs. As for 2012, I think the loss of Cortez as QB coach and the addition of Lee totally messed Fitz up. How you gonna change a guy's mechanics at his age? Maybe some things can be tweaked, but it seems Lee tried to completely overhaul his mechanics. Fitz was probably thinking too much during his throws and not just playing. Additionally, it was the inopportune timing of Fitz's turnovers that hurt more than anything else (combined with stupid play calling by the HC). He threw 7 fewer picks in 2012 than in 2011. If the Bills defense performed even HALF as well as advertised in 2012, Fitz would have been adequate enough to get the Bills in the playoffs. Instead, he was always playing catch-up. His confidence is probably shot all to hell now thanks to Lee and Gailey's dumb play calling, but I still think the guy can play. Just tell him to throw the ball however feels natural to him -- and stop trying to !@#$ with his mechanics. Let him call some of his own plays when they run the no huddle and I think you'll see the same Fitz that started 2011 season. I'm NOT suggesting the Bills don't seek another QB as there is no one else on the roster after Fitz (maybe TJ, but we don't know). I'm suggesting the Bills draft a QB in 1st or 2nd round and/or also make a play for any decent free agent QBs that come available. However, I'd like to see Fitz be allowed to compete for the job under the new coaching staff and see what happens. Whoever earns the starting job gets it. If nothing else, we have a solid backup who is very familiar with his receivers and could step in at any moment and perform decently.

More excuses as to why this 7th round, career backup isn't great? Here's a theory: he has a weak arm, is inaccurate and makes questionable 4th quarter decisions.

You're grasping for some serious straws here...Fitz's strengths? You do realize that Fitz finished 27th in the league in Total QB rating right?...27th!...You think it's really that hard to find a QB that can be the 26th best QB in the NFL?

Let Fitz go...Dare to believe The Bills can do better...

BTW...Nine 1st or 2nd year Starters had better Total QB Ratings than Fitz in 2012...And Nick Foles was right behind Fitz at 28th...

So... B-)

More excuses as to why this 7th round, career backup isn't great? Here's a theory: he has a weak arm, is inaccurate and makes questionable 4th quarter decisions.

And shows no emotions or leadership on the field. Sure it was an upgrade from Losman to Edwards to Fitzpatrick...But that is not saying much. Fitz at this point requires too many things to be perfect for him to be successful

You're grasping for some serious straws here...Fitz's strengths? You do realize that Fitz finished 27th in the league in Total QB rating right?...27th!...You think it's really that hard to find a QB that can be the 26th best QB in the NFL?

Let Fitz go...Dare to believe The Bills can do better...

BTW...Nine 1st or 2nd year Starters had better Total QB Ratings than Fitz in 2012...And Nick Foles was right behind Fitz at 28th...

So... B-)

So you're saying let's get Nick Foles, right?

Because, in all honesty, I don't think the Bills will draft a good QB. I'm all for taking risks in the draft and having a competition for the QB spot, but we all know that won't happen. We'll end up cutting Fitz, plugging a more inexperienced guy in there and hoping he saves the day. 3 years later, he'll be gone and we'll start the cycle with someone else.