PSA: Yet another Java vulnerability

Fezmid

Pogo.com, a games site operated by EA, uses Java. Haven't used my laptop, running Firefox as a browser, in some time and updated Java to the update 11 for version 7 and now the games on Pogo don't load, say I need to install Java Runtime Environment 1.7 u10 and when I click to do that, the update fails, says to try it manually and gives a link to download.... Java 7.11 which I've already installed.

I've uninstalled all Java, re-installed. Installed previous versions that had worked before. Nada on pogo. Nada on the java.com test page. I tried last night, installed The latest java, and rebooted the computer. Then tried again. Both keep telling me that I don't have Java installed and to install it. Wtf?

Pogo.com, a games site operated by EA, uses Java. Haven't used my laptop, running Firefox as a browser, in some time and updated Java to the update 11 for version 7 and now the games on Pogo don't load, say I need to install Java Runtime Environment 1.7 u10 and when I click to do that, the update fails, says to try it manually and gives a link to download.... Java 7.11 which I've already installed.

I've uninstalled all Java, re-installed. Installed previous versions that had worked before. Nada on pogo. Nada on the java.com test page. I tried last night, installed The latest java, and rebooted the computer. Then tried again. Both keep telling me that I don't have Java installed and to install it. Wtf?

I believe Firefox automatically disables Java when it detects a vulnerable version (maybe that's Chrome... Can't recall). Regardless, try going to Firefox->Add-Ons and click "enable" next to Java if it's currently disabled.

Or stop playing Pogo and keep Java disabled... ;)

I believe Firefox automatically disables Java when it detects a vulnerable version (maybe that's Chrome... Can't recall). Regardless, try going to Firefox->Add-Ons and click "enable" next to Java if it's currently disabled.

Or stop playing Pogo and keep Java disabled... ;)

Nope. Checked that and it's actually called something else in the Firefox Add-on list, but that is listed as a 7.11 and was updated yesterday, is enabled.... and nothing.

That seems to be the situation, whether I like it or not. Kind of sucks that you spend $ (actually, I get it thru the MyCokeRewards points) and then can't use it....

Nope. Checked that and it's actually called something else in the Firefox Add-on list, but that is listed as a 7.11 and was updated yesterday, is enabled.... and nothing.

That seems to be the situation, whether I like it or not. Kind of sucks that you spend $ (actually, I get it thru the MyCokeRewards points) and then can't use it....

Heh, the version numbers for Java and JRE are absolutely confusing. I feel you there.

Check out this thread, seems to be a bug in Java 7.11 that Oracle is working on fixing:

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/947979?esab=a&s=&r=8&as=s

Should be Firefox specific; can you try another browser till its fixed?

Heh, the version numbers for Java and JRE are absolutely confusing. I feel you there.

Check out this thread, seems to be a bug in Java 7.11 that Oracle is working on fixing:

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/947979?esab=a&s=&r=8&as=s

Should be Firefox specific; can you try another browser till its fixed?

Thanks, Blue. Just wonder when 7.13 comes out.

I don't use Java for anything else, pogo is a safe site and my 5-y.o. niece wanted to play her 'Wonderland Memories' game (it's a turn on the turn-over card memory games... only with cookie designs she has to match). I swear, she's destined to be the first female Commander of the Joint Chiefs....

I loathe using it, but I'll try IE.

Edited by UConn James

• 2 weeks later...