Bill Gates no use for money....

tomato can

I do. I disdain almost everything Microsoft stands for....but Bill Gates really wants to make a difference beyond Microsoft. He is one of the good guys despite his questionable business practices.

If your not familiar, check out the bill and Melinda gates foundation

Anyone buying that he has no use for money?

http://www.telegraph...-Gods-work.html

Seems you just read the flashy headline.

What he actually said was....

“Money has no utility to me beyond a certain point. Its utility is entirely in building an organisation and getting the resources out to the poorest in the world.”

After you have your first BILLION, what difference does having more money make to you?

I do. I disdain almost everything Microsoft stands for....but Bill Gates really wants to make a difference beyond Microsoft. He is one of the good guys despite his questionable business practices.

Maybe, maybe not. I'm not going to make the call either way, but he was one of the most hated men on the planet (primarily for being the richest man on the planet) before he started this. Since then the media has been much friendlier.

Again, I'm not saying he did this b/c he thought a good public image was worth the cost, but I'm not assuming he didn't either.

Maybe, maybe not. I'm not going to make the call either way, but he was one of the most hated men on the planet (primarily for being the richest man on the planet) before he started this. Since then the media has been much friendlier.

Again, I'm not saying he did this b/c he thought a good public image was worth the cost, but I'm not assuming he didn't either.

Personally I think Sam Walton's legacy is far uglier. The loss of local businesses, employees paid pitiful wages and big boxification of suburbia.

Maybe he did, maybe he didn't, but does it matter? The fact is he IS doing a lot of good now.

Compare that to Steve Jobs who, even until his dying breath, was all about himself, crushing everyone else, and it didn't matter how or why.

Why do you disdain? Early on, I think those thoughts were in vogue. Now, it should be flip flopped with Apple. Microsoft saved Apple. I was always pro-Microsoft, even when it was in vogue to portray them as the evil empire... I always felt that there was "good" underneath it all. I just can't say (and never have) about that other company... Gates has ALWAYS given back. Maybe is altruism is a bit rigged (like the library PC program)... But, the altruism is light years ahead in our era...

Maybe he did, maybe he didn't, but does it matter? The fact is he IS doing a lot of good now.

Compare that to Steve Jobs who, even until his dying breath, was all about himself, crushing everyone else, and it didn't matter how or why.

Nothing ugly here...Not to sound mean... But maybe that is why Jobs is pushing daisies...

I just never felt the hatred for Gates. Honestly, I think he (Gates) held people as being smarter than they really are... That is a GOOD thing. As opposed to what Jobs thought of people (dumb them down, give 'em what they want)...