2013 HOF Finalists; Update - Andre Reed did not make it

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.nfl.com/n...-fame-finalists

First, the list: Larry Allen, Jerome Bettis, Tim Brown, Cris Carter, Curley Culp, Edward Debartalo Jr., Kevin Greene, Charles Haley, Art Modell, Jonathan Ogden, Bill Parcells, Andre Reed, Dave Robinson, Warren Sapp, Will Shields, Michael Strahan, and Aeneas Williams.

The annual wide receiver logjam remains: Tim Brown, Cris Carter, and Andre Reed have seemingly been canceling each other out for years. I'd argue that none of them are slam dunk choices, so it's not a surprise they have been passed over for players at other positions.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

Reed, Carter, and Brown for the 3rd year in a row?

Isn't next year the year where a bunch of wide receivers with gaudy stats are first-year eligible?

Ogden is the most obvious first ballot guy, IMO.

A few of these guys might not make it this time because they weren't popular with the media. And some of these guys toiled in relative anonymity.

Last year really sucked for Andre because as I recall, he received a late phone call suggesting that he was selected and I believe he really allowed himself to get his hopes up.

Can't remember the entire story but I seem to recall that he hopped on an airplane to go to Canton (?) for the announcement. Something like that.

That would be a fairly crushing experience.

Reed, Carter, and Brown for the 3rd year in a row?

Isn't next year the year where a bunch of wide receivers with gaudy stats are first-year eligible?

Ogden is the most obvious first ballot guy, IMO.

A few of these guys might not make it this time because they weren't popular with the media. And some of these guys toiled in relative anonymity.

Ogden, Charles Haley, Larry Allen, Strahahn and Parcells are all shoe-ins, IMO. If Haley doesn't get in right off, it is only cuz he is/was crazy as hell off the field. Not necessarily a huge Strahan fan either, but, he made a big impact in a large market, and (for some inexplicable reason) seems to be a media darling. I can honestly see Reed, Carter and Brown all getting stiffed again. Although, it would be weird if it was a class comprised totally of big, ugly dudes.

Edited by Buftex

Ogden, Charles Haley, Larry Allen, Strahahn and Parcells are all shoe-ins, IMO. If Haley doesn't get in right off, it is only cuz he is/was crazy as hell off the field. Not necessarily a huge Strahan fan either, but, he made a big impact in a large market, and (for some inexplicable reason) seems to be a media darling. I can honestly see Reed, Carter and Brown all getting stiffed again.

Haley's in that group of guys who has been shunned because he was not friendly to the media when he was a player. Not fair for sure but then again, life isn't fair.

Warren Sapp is an interesting case. He's very polarizing.

Ogden, Charles Haley, Larry Allen, Strahahn and Parcells are all shoe-ins, IMO. If Haley doesn't get in right off, it is only cuz he is/was crazy as hell off the field. Not necessarily a huge Strahan fan either, but, he made a big impact in a large market, and (for some inexplicable reason) seems to be a media darling. I can honestly see Reed, Carter and Brown all getting stiffed again.

I'm pretty sure that 7 inductees is the max per year. Haley should already be in, but keeps getting snubbed for some reason. I'd say Parcells, Ogden and Larry Allen are the only shoe-ins.

How could it be though Marc?

He wouldn't have knowledge of the discussion and straw votes among the voters would he?

Probably not.

It's very possible that he was being fed some insider info about positive pro-Reed vibes or what not among some voters.

Here are the players who failed to make it as finalists:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/01/11/pro-football-hall-of-fame-finalists-announced/

"Those who did not advance included: Kicker Morten Andersen, safety John Lynch, cornerback Albert Lewis, safety Steve Atwater, coach Don Coryell, running backs Roger Craig and Terrell Davis, tackle Joe Jacoby, linebacker Karl Mecklenburg, former commissioner Paul Tagliabue, special teamer Steve Tasker and executive George Young."

I've just resigned myself to think it won't happen. He was the less-visible of the Bills' version of the triplets and didn't blow everyone away with the numbers (not that they aren't good enough). I don't even remember any huge or memorable plays that he was a part of that would help people remember who he was.

To me, he put up solid numbers year after year after year. He came up big in the comeback game (3 TDs), but was always there getting the first downs, making key receptions to keep drives alive, and a general force over the middle of the field.

One thing that jumps out at me is that Tim Brown or Cris Carter never made it to a Super Bowl. Yes, Reed had Kelly, Thurman, & Bruce to help him, but it's not like Reed didn't contribute to that goal.

I've just resigned myself to think it won't happen. He was the less-visible of the Bills' version of the triplets and didn't blow everyone away with the numbers (not that they aren't good enough). I don't even remember any huge or memorable plays that he was a part of that would help people remember who he was.

To me, he put up solid numbers year after year after year. He came up big in the comeback game (3 TDs), but was always there getting the first downs, making key receptions to keep drives alive, and a general force over the middle of the field.

One thing that jumps out at me is that Tim Brown or Cris Carter never made it to a Super Bowl. Yes, Reed had Kelly, Thurman, & Bruce to help him, but it's not like Reed didn't contribute to that goal.

Two things everyone should keep in mind when evaluating Reed's HOF candidacy:

1. The presence of Thurman on the team suppressed Reed's overall career numbers. We're talking about one of the best pass-catching RB's in NFL history on what was actually a run-first offense.

2. Reed just missed out on this pass-oriented era in NFL history that really took hold at the turn of the century, so his career numbers should also be interpreted based on the time in NFL history in which he played.

Two things everyone should keep in mind when evaluating Reed's HOF candidacy:

1. The presence of Thurman on the team suppressed Reed's overall career numbers. We're talking about one of the best pass-catching RB's in NFL history on what was actually a run-first offense.

2. Reed just missed out on this pass-oriented era in NFL history that really took hold at the turn of the century, so his career numbers should also be interpreted based on the time in NFL history in which he played.

1. Conversely, you could say his job was made easier by the prescene of a HOF RB.

2. Absolutely correct.

Based on that finalist list, I think there's a good shot for Reed to get in this year.

Edited by KD in CT

I think it is much deserved and I hope this is the year. I watched the comeback game against the Oilers on the 20th Anniversary -- one of the things that it helped me to remember is what a tough player Reed was. Brown and Carter were primarily stretch the field receivers. Reed did it all. He was willing to cut across the middle and did so often. He had great hands. He got yards after the catch. He was every bit as important to the Bills offensive success as Kelly and Thomas. I would hope whoever is responsible for promoting his credentials can properly frame this side to his career and help voters to look beyond just the numbers.

Edited by MichFan