Syracuse vs. Boise recruiting in Southern California

Mr. WEO

Read what I said. There are too many blue chip recruits and not enough roster spots out west, that is why Boise is able to recruit so well in TX and Cal where there is 65 million people just in those 2 states alone. There is only so many schools in those states. The PAC 10 is the only conference out west worth a damn, and a few TX schools, where else those kids going to go? Boise saw that and was the first to jump on the recruiting of that, whereas in the east it's the ACC, SEC, Big East, CUSA and some Big 10. Herd it on ESPN awhile back and makes sense.

Ohio and Pennsylvania have way way better high school football than does NY State, so it is easy for Ohio St or Penn St to recruit. NY high school football sucks as far a blue chippers go so Syracuse is always having to go out of state and recruit against a lot of good programs and all they seem to ever get to take is everyone else scraps.

Syracuse is free to recruit from Ca and Tx--in fact they do and always have. Why would a kid from SoCal go to Idaho, ever, over Syracuse?

It would be naive to suggest there is no difference, despite the Wright brothers wonderful invention. That's like saying flying from Buffalo to Baltimore is the same as flying from Buffalo to Los Angeles.

None of these kids could find Idaho on a map, so what's the difference one you get on the plane? A couple hours a few times a year. These kids are going to be flying all over the place their whole college careers. You think a kid from TX would chose to live in Idaho because "it's closer to home"??

That's an interesting take.

Couldn't figure out WTF this had to do with Marrone at any rate. :lol:

I was shamed into reserving judgement on Marrone by Coach Tuesday and Kelly the Dog. I'm taking their advice. This topic was a diversion/sidetrack.

Don't worry, this thread will be dead soon!

Edited by Mr. WEO

Just to interject. Flying in and out of Boise is an all day affair and often required multiple plane changes. My sister lived there for 3 years. Getting there from the EC involved flying to Denver, connecting to Salt Lake then to Boise. Going from Syracuse to LA requires place changes but at least you're going the right direction all the time.

Just to interject. Flying in and out of Boise is an all day affair and often required multiple plane changes. My sister lived there for 3 years. Getting there from the EC involved flying to Denver, connecting to Salt Lake then to Boise. Going from Syracuse to LA requires place changes but at least you're going the right direction all the time.

Why would a recruit from California fly to Boise via Buffalo? B-)

(There are direct flights from San Francisco.)

FWIW Here is a short list of NFL active players by birth state. I think you can use this list as a proxy for hotbed college recruiting as the more NFL players your state has produced the greater the talent pool within your state for college recruits as well (not exact but decent)

College recruitment for the best programs is obviously national but there are some schools that have a natural local advantage. Alabama, LSU and USC would seem to have it a bit easier.

Boise did a great job of picking the right players in the beginning, guys that didn't get offers from Texas, USC and others. Then they got good and starting pulling in big recruits off of a good reputation.

Syracuse seems to ebb and flow but NY state does produce a decent amount NFL players, not enough of them went to Syracuse I guess. Is there another NY state school that would be in Syracuse league? Rutgers is close by I guess.

http://www.businessinsider.com/nfl-chart-these-states-produce-the-most-nfl-players-2011-10

None of these kids could find Idaho on a map, so what's the difference one you get on the plane? A couple hours a few times a year. These kids are going to be flying all over the place their http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_22209754/vikings-no-3-qb-mcleod-bethel-thompson-awesomewhole college careers. You think a kid from TX would chose to live in Idaho because "it's closer to home"??

That's an interesting take.

Before generally agreeing, ill point out that sometimes the distance isn't just him jumping on a plane - it's friends and family getting to see you play (ie road games near them, or easier travel for a group or elderly or... Which can sometimes be not flying... Also the "I dunno if I can let my baby go that far away" crowds)

That said, yes, I generally agree in the Boise vs Syracuse debate.

Edited by NoSaint

First off yes it does make a difference to kids who are leaving their home for the first time whether they travel 850 miles (distance from LA to Boise) or 3207 miles (Los Angeles to Syracuse). Home sickness is a big deal for 18 year old kids. Add in family and friends ability to travel to home games as well as road games being more local as well and it really isn't hard to understand.

I know you like to be contrarian WEO but this isn't your best troll...

Here's another reason as well:

Bronco Facilities beautiful stadium, original field style, and most importantly a football school. SU recently has upgraded the dome and it's football facilities (in the last year - a lot of it can be contributed to Marrone's success) but it is first and foremost a basketball school.

So if you are an 18 year old hot shot do you want to go to school where your friends can drive to the game, where the facilities are top notch, and where your sport is first priority? Or do you want to go where no one family/friend can make a short trip to see any games, in a dated facility, where your program is second fiddle?

And? They are allowed to fly in planes, you know..

Yes because all football players come from rich families where a plane ticket or 4 is affordable.

Just an example, (since i also brought up the natural, location based recruiting problems 'Cuse has in the Marrone thread). FSU recently got a commit who flipped from Alabama at the last second. He switched because he's from Jacksonville and wanted to be close to home so his mom could see him play. FSU is 2.5 hrs (drive) from Jacksonville, and Tuscaloosa is about 7 hrs away from jacksonville. Both are close by, but that extra distance made all the difference in the world.

Also, do not underestimate the pull parents have on kids and where they're going. If mom says i want you near home, or at least playing for a school that will have road games near home, then the kid is not going to go far.

In short, the location of 'Cuse plays a large role in why they cannot get lots of top tier recruits, thus limiting their ability to be ultra-competitive on a national scale.

Edited by Ramius

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.