Why All This Talk About Chip Kelly? Let's Wait For Brian Kelly&#33

Muzu821

Why is Chip Kelly a much better coach than Brian Kelly? That's all I've heard all week. Because of his innovative offense? Who's to say if Chip Kelly's offense will work in the NFL? Will it even work with the current Bills personell? I think we tried a version of that offense this past year under Chan Gailey. How did that work out?

What I do know is that Brian Kelly has taken a struggling Notre Dame program to the promise land in just three seasons. Some can say he's doing it with a Charlie Weiss recruiting class, other's will say that all he does is win. If it's that easy, why wasn't a former high profiled coach in the NFL able to do it? He's done it at Central Michigan, Cincinatti, and now Notre Dame. His career record as a head coach in college is now 199-66-2.

I'm like Schopp on WGR55, I'm not interested in a recycled NFL coach. I want a coach that's 0-0 in the NFL. We both want a Kelly as our next coach, but I'm in favor of Brian. Most reports are that Chip is going to Cleveland, so why not turn our attention to Brian Kelly. Here's hoping that the Bills brass is planning to travel to South Florida Monday night in hopes to interview him Tuesday morning.

The other big question is, will he leave Notre Dame? Why would he leave Notre Dame? Show him the money Russ, just like Cleveland is doing right now with Chip. It's worth a try.

You're the Head Football Coach of the most elite and recognized college football team. Why would you leave to go to Buffalo?

Really folks, Buffalo is not the place to be. I love the Bills, but the city offers nothing and his is already treated like the second coming.

Problem is we need a head coach and Brian Kelly isn't leaving ND. So we either play at least a season without a head coach if you want to wait for Brian Kelly, or we hire someone else (hopefully Chip Kelly) and go with them for a while. Your choice.

When asked about the NFL for the first time on Saturday, Kelly said NFL teams would have to contact his agent to show interest but that he's got the best job in the country and is solely focused on the game.

I was able to circle back with Kelly about the intrigue of the NFL, which, according to colleague Bruce Feldman, has Kelly on its radar.

"How can you not be [intrigued]?" Kelly said. "When you've coached football, you look at everything -- you look at high school film and you watch coaches there, college, Division III to Division I, it doesn't matter, college, NFL. All of that stuff intrigues me. I still think it comes down to time and place. What is the right time, and what is the right place? I never take any of that off the board."

Kelly's a smart guy. He knows NFL teams might call after the game, win or lose, right?

"My agent would get a call, he'd run it by me, and we'd go from there," he said. "But, again, time and place."

Is the right time and place next week, after the game?

"Time and place," said a smiling Kelly as he walked off.

Brian Kelly, Notre Dame, 50, Ind. $2,600,000. Either going to get a raise and stay at ND or have that doubled at least and go to the NFL. Intriguing means "show me the money." That said, if I'm Russ Brandon, I'm on the phone with his agent setting up a meeting for Tuesday and I'd be bringing along $6 million pictures of George Washington.

Edited by kasper13

As a graduate of Notre Dame, I can tell you if you want Brian Kelly to leave Notre Dame it would be for a couple reasons. First he wins a National Championship. There would be nothing left to accomplish at the college level. He turned the Fighting Irish into an undefeated National Champion in 3 years. Could he want to beat Ara and win 3 National Championships? Possibly but seriously how likely is that? Secondly would be money. I am sure the lure of being one of the most prolific winners in college football and then going to the NFL and turn an organization into a Superbowl Champion is there. Will 6 mil get it done? Not sure, what is Cleveland willing to pay Chip Kelly? It will undoubtedly be more than that to get the other Kelly.

I'll preface this by saying I am a ND fan, not die hard, but I root for them over all other college programs in football.

ND should have lost 3 games this season; Pittsburgh, Stanford, and I believe they would have lost to USC had Barkely been playing. They took a schedule that looked very tough in the beginning of the season and squeeked by undefeated. Heck, even Purdue, BYU, and Michigan were all withing one score of beating them. None of those teams (except Stanford) were impressive this season at all. In reality there are probably a number of teams from the SEC, Pac 10, or Big 12 that could have ran that schedule (with more convincing results).

However, there is something to be said about the fact that they did win all of those games. I'll be curious to see how Monday turns out. I have a feeling that Alabama is going to absolutely dominate the game, should they prove me wrong and win (or play with them all game), I will be much more impressed with Kelly than I am at this point.