So if we get to say, next Wednesday, without a new coach

I'm hoping the Bills hire Lovie and have done with it. Then start the search for a competent OC

OR, Bill Cowher stated he wouldn't even interview until AFTER the football season is over. But then looking at past screw up hires since Wade Phillips who knows what to expect this franchise

I'm right there with you. Although people may call Lovie out on his underachieving offenses, they did a lot with Forte and we have 2 capable backs. The ceiling of what Lovie may be able to do with our D is greater than any other option we have at HC. Everyone else is more of a risk. Let's at least get the D straightened out. Lovie actually has a positive win percentage in the NFL. When was the last time we had a HC with that?!?!

Edited by XXL Franchize

It would make sense for the NFL to make a rule that no coaches can be signed until 1 week after the super bowl that would give all teams opportunity and not take the focus of football away from the Playoffs. Therefore making coordinators of playoff teams available to all to interview without negativily affecting their teams,

I'm pretty sure if permission is granted they can interview. I wanna say a few years ago I remember a Cordinator took a HC position with another team even though he was with another team at the time. Sort of a "after the playoffs" are completed then the switch is made.

I could be wrong but I swear I've seen that before.

I want to say that it was McDaniels, when he was the OC for New England and taking the HC job in denver, or it may have been when Crennel and Weiss left New England where a Co-ordinator was interviewed and a deal was agreed that he would become the teams HC prior to a team being eliminated. The Co-ordinator stayed on for the remainder of the playoffs, and once it was over would sign the contract to become a HC somewhere else

If we haven't hired a head coach by next week, I'd say we're

1) waiting on a coordinator whose team is still in the playoffs (i.e., Greg Roman)

2) trying to convince Jon Gruden to leave ESPN and come back to the NFL

3) working on getting...

Mike Leach

Edited by The Senator

I'm hoping the Bills hire Lovie and have done with it. Then start the search for a competent OC

OR, Bill Cowher stated he wouldn't even interview until AFTER the football season is over. But then looking at past screw up hires since Wade Phillips who knows what to expect this franchise

Exactly! We'll end up with Fernando Otarpski, assistant line coach of the Hoboken Redwings.

I seriously doubt the Bills would hire Lovie Smith unless he can guarantee delivery of an OC who the Bills approve of. With his record of marginal OCs, the Bills wouldn't want to hire him without that important coordinator position already in place.

Lets just hire Wade again. Ralph said he made a mistake when he let him go.

I don't remember Ralph ever saying that.

Did he say that before or after Wade sued him?

Seems like a game to me. What if they liked, say, Lovie and Horton. But they wouldn't know if one of these are better than McCoy as they haven't spoken to him ? What happens then ? Do they wait for McCoy to become available and risk losing Lovie and Horton to other teams ? To state the obvious, exhaustive searches cannot be in a vacuum. IMHO, there is a case to be made that no interviews and hiring happen till after the Superbowl.

And how about college coaches can't interview for another job until after their season is over, including bowl games? It's bogus when a coach leads his team to a bowl game but tales another job and then an assistant coach is in charge for the bowl game.