Take a guess at how many QB's we've drafted since 1982...

boyst

Answer: 9

Since 1982 the following QB's have started for the Buffalo Bills:

Joe Ferguson, Joe Dufek, Vince Ferragamo, Bruce Mathison, Jim Kelly, Brian McClure, Willie Totten, Dan Manucci, Jim Kelly, Frank Reich, Todd Collins, Alex Van Pelt, Rob Johnson, Doug Flutie, Drew Bledsoe, JP Losman, Kelly Holcomb, Trent Edwards, Ryan Fitzpatrick, Brian Brohm.

That is 20 Starters since 1982. We did draft Manucci, but I will exclude him, since we are focusing on QB's drafted since 1982. So, 19 starters in 20 seasons. That seems decent, since we are excluding single game starts.

Now lets look at the drafted QB's since 1982.

82 Matt Kofler

83 Jim Kelly

85 Frank Reich

86 Brian McClure

92 Matt Rodgers

95 Todd Collins

05 JP Losman

07 Trent Edwards

10 Levi Brown

That is 9 QB's. Since 1982 we have only drafted 9 QB's, yet started 20. In the last 10 years we have drated only 3.

Maybe the M.O. of this team is to simply not draft QB's? I cannot believe, going that far back, we still did not draft QB's more freequently! I understand it is hard to justify drafting QB's when you have Reich as a backup to a HOF'er in Kelly. I do not understand how from 1995 until 2005 not one QB was taken.

It might just be that I have played too much Tecmo Super Bowl, but there is no reason not to draft a QB every 2 to 3 years in the latter rounds...

I dont think you can leave out trading draft picks for qb's when talking about this. Be it Johnson, Bledsoe, Losman all had picks either traded to acquire and in Losman's case move up in the draft. The problem being none of these moves worked. Should the Bills have done more to acquire a qb...Of course they should've but resources where spent

Since the Kelly/Reich era, it actually seems like the Bills have been making an honest effort about every 3 years to land the next franchise QB...up until Nix took charge:

1995 - drafting Todd Collins in the 2nd round

1998 - trading a 1st rounder for Rob Johnson

2002 - trading a 1st rounder for Drew Bledsoe

2004 - trading up to take JP Losman in the 1st round

2007 - drafting Trent Edwards in the 3rd round

One important reason why every post-Kelly QB has failed is because of the abysmal OL, which began unraveling when unrestricted free agency was introduced in the early 90's and never really recovered until Nix came to town.

So where did Nix go wrong? Drafting Aaron Williams instead of Andy Dalton or Colin Kaepernick in 2011. Then drafting TJ Graham instead of Russell Wilson or Kirk Cousins in 2012.

I dont think you can leave out trading draft picks for qb's when talking about this. Be it Johnson, Bledsoe, Losman all had picks either traded to acquire and in Losman's case move up in the draft. The problem being none of these moves worked. Should the Bills have done more to acquire a qb...Of course they should've but resources where spent

True. But why not bring in guys in the 6th or 7th and see if they can compete for a PS. Remember, up until a bit ago there were 12 rounds. Much of the spectrum had drafts of 12 rounds.

Even during the Flutie/Johnson mess we should have looked at bringing in a QB.

Since the Kelly/Reich era, it actually seems like the Bills have been making an honest effort about every 3 years to land the next franchise QB...up until Nix took charge:

1995 - drafting Todd Collins in the 2nd round

1998 - trading a 1st rounder for Rob Johnson

2002 - trading a 1st rounder for Drew Bledsoe

2004 - trading up to take JP Losman in the 1st round

2007 - drafting Trent Edwards in the 3rd round

One important reason why every post-Kelly QB has failed is because of the abysmal OL, which began unraveling when unrestricted free agency was introduced in the early 90's and never really recovered until Nix came to town.

So where did Nix go wrong? Drafting Aaron Williams instead of Andy Dalton or Colin Kaepernick in 2011. Then drafting TJ Graham instead of Russell Wilson or Kirk Cousins in 2012.

Agreed that we could have spent more resources on a QB when we spent them on other positions, but in 2010 and 2011 we were pretty confident in Fitz...2012 not so much.

The question is, who is willing to go back in time and right these wrongs while the rest of us get over it already?

The thread was to generate conversation, at the least, and at the most let us be aware of some Bills history.

But why not bring in guys in the 6th or 7th and see if they can compete for a PS.

It should be noted that the VAST majority of starting QB's in the NFL today were taken either in the 1st round or during the very first few picks of the 2nd round. Schaub (3rd round), Wilson (3rd round), and Brady (6th round) are the only ones bucking this trend whom I'd rather have over Fitz. Of all the dysfunctions to complain about with this Buffalo Bills franchise, not drafting 6th/7th round QB's is still pretty low on my list.

The question is, who is willing to go back in time and right these wrongs while the rest of us get over it already?

I will. But I am looking for someone to go back with me. I have only done it once before. Safety not guaranteed.

Edited by The Wiz

It should be noted that the VAST majority of starting QB's in the NFL today were taken either in the 1st round or during the very first few picks of the 2nd round. Schaub (3rd round), Wilson (3rd round), and Brady (6th round) are the only ones bucking this trend whom I'd rather have over Fitz. Of all the dysfunctions to complain about with this Buffalo Bills franchise, not drafting 6th/7th round QB's is still pretty low on my list.

I did a list in the shoutbox a while back of all those QB's drafted in the first round that are on NFL rosters this year. It was amazing. Of them taken in the first in a spot where we could have got them without trading there were only like 3 or 4 that were as good or better then Fitz. Eli, Big Ben, Rivers, Stafford, etc were not eligible because we could not have drafted them - unless we traded up but that's just too complicated.

In the entire history of the franchise the Bills have never selected a QB with their first pick in any draft.

Hopefully in 2013 the Bills begin taking the QB position seriously.

Actually, the Bills first pick ever was Richie Lucas, Penn State qb in 1959. They acquired him through the territorial draft which was held prior to the regular draft. But territorial draft selections were more of an agreement than a selection so I guess your point is valid.