Chip Kelly HC! (possibly for the Browns)

13player

It's tough to read too much into the tweets...but if Cleveland is starting to look at other options, doesn't that mean Kelly has more of a chance to end up in Buffalo than it seemed 24 hours ago?

Assuming it really was down to Browns and Bills for him.

I realize it's only 7:00pm in Phoenix, but I thought we'd have an announcement by now!

• Replies 963
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

so I know i will get ripped for this but here goes.....A very close and very reliable person who is very, very, very close to Russ Brandon let it slip that while yes Chip Kelly is at dinner still with the Eagles the bills have made him an offer earlier today. Whether or not he accepts is another story. His lawyers are with him because of the Bills offer. It is expected that the Browns will counter the offer but it is down to Buffalo and Cleveland. Bills have continued to interview in case the bidding war gets crazy out of hand.

It's tough to read too much into the tweets...but if Cleveland is starting to look at other options, doesn't that mean Kelly has more of a chance to end up in Buffalo than it seemed 24 hours ago?

Assuming it really was down to Browns and Bills for him.

I realize it's only 7:00pm in Phoenix, but I thought we'd have an announcement by now!

Eagles still a factor since he's meeting with them currently.

The plot thickens for the Browns:

@RapSheet

Source: #Browns met with #Cuse's Doug Marrone again. Yesterday, looked like job was Kelly's. Today Browns trying to figure out their choice

@RapSheet

Asked two sources whether the #Browns like Chip Kelly or Doug Marrone more: "They are deciding." Was told neck-&-neck

Even with misinformation so prevalent right now, you'd have to think this is looking better than last night for Buffalo to land Kelly.

Also, I don't think we hear Kelly's decision til Monday now. Just my guess.

Even with misinformation so prevalent right now, you'd have to think this is looking better than last night for Buffalo to land Kelly.

Also, I don't think we hear Kelly's decision til Monday now. Just my guess.

Not so sure it's better for Buffalo as it is worse for Cleveland...Cleveland sources already spinning like Marrone might have been their first choice all along.

The plot thickens for the Browns:

@RapSheet

Source: #Browns met with #Cuse's Doug Marrone again. Yesterday, looked like job was Kelly's. Today Browns trying to figure out their choice

@RapSheet

Asked two sources whether the #Browns like Chip Kelly or Doug Marrone more: "They are deciding." Was told neck-&-neck

It would be a shame if the Bills finished 3rd in the running for each of these guys, in principle.

https://twitter.com/...753251292577792

Sorry, I couldn't post the actual tweet. This lady has been wrong quite often however..

It's a retweet from a guy at Sportsradio 94 WIP Philadelphia--- strange comment at the end: "If wrong my source is fired."

Brian Startare@brianstartare

Sources tell me Chip Kelly and the eagles are close to an agreement on a 5 year deal. If I'm right I'm golden. If wrong my source is fired

Hours ago, the eagles meeting was a formality and unlikely as a result from either side - now it's likely?

I think these guys need to temper the "omg they are talking - deal is imminent" tweets every time anyone meets.

It would be a shame if the Bills finished 3rd in the running for each of these guys, in principle.

It's a retweet from a guy at Sportsradio 94 WIP Philadelphia--- strange comment at the end: "If wrong my source is fired."

Brian Startare@brianstartare

Sources tell me Chip Kelly and the eagles are close to an agreement on a 5 year deal. If I'm right I'm golden. If wrong my source is fired

CYA comment. Frustrating.

Hours ago, the eagles meeting was a formality and unlikely as a result from either side - now it's likely?

I think these guys need to temper the "omg they are talking - deal is imminent" tweets every time anyone meets.

Agreed. I can't remember so many erroneous reports from the sports media at any time in recent memory. It seems like Twitter is batting around .175 right now.

The NHL CBA negotiation tweets are as wild and unreliable--- everything has to be taken with a grain of salt.

The NHL CBA negotiation tweets are as wild and unreliable--- everything has to be taken with a grain of salt.

It's like none of them know how to/want to weigh sources vs common sense. Every new tidbit is suddenly breaking with 100% certainty

Unless the source is wrong - then they are fired. Not me.

I think all the teams are putting stuff out there for public damage control purposes.

When the smoke clears all the teams will claim they got their first choice.

That's part of why Whisenhunt was pushed so hard by the Bills. If they're left with him they can say he was their first choice.

One interesting aspect of the Kelly saga is this: we seem to have solid confirmation that he met for like 7 hours with the Browns.

Further, the Bills website says the Bills met with him last night. It doesn't mention length, but it was presumably a lot shorter than 7 hours.

If Kelly actually ends up with the Bills, or if we have at least forced him to delay signing with anyone else while he considers his options, it makes you wonder: what the heck did Brandon tell him during his presumably brief meeting with Kelly?

I am going to guess big bucks, potentially long term K, and assuring Kelly he could have a lot of say in personnel.

It may have been fleshed out in detail that Nix is gone soon, and that it's all going to be a fresh new horizon in Buffalo, and Kelly can be a part of shaping all that. I'm sure that environment would be preferential to him.

One interesting aspect of the Kelly saga is this: we seem to have solid confirmation that he met for like 7 hours with the Browns.

Further, the Bills website says the Bills met with him last night. It doesn't mention length, but it was presumably a lot shorter than 7 hours.

If Kelly actually ends up with the Bills, or if we have at least forced him to delay signing with anyone else while he considers his options, it makes you wonder: what the heck did Brandon tell him during his presumably brief meeting with Kelly?

I am going to guess big bucks, potentially long term K, and assuring Kelly he could have a lot of say in personnel.

It may have been fleshed out in detail that Nix is gone soon, and that it's all going to be a fresh new horizon in Buffalo, and Kelly can be a part of shaping all that. I'm sure that environment would be preferential to him.

And that'd be unique how?

Why would the qualities you presented (money, power, etc....) as creating a preferred destination be any different than Cleveland for instance?

Well, there's money and then there's money. We may have offered the guy a lot more than other organizations are prepared to offer.

There's power and then there's power. An established big name GM may not want to let Kelly do as he pleases in terms of selecting talent. In Buffalo, that's all up for grabs. We may well be able to offer the guy money and a situation other teams can not match, when the specific details are analyzed.

Or he may end up in Philadelphia and we made him a crap offer. Who the hell knows.

It's like none of them know how to/want to weigh sources vs common sense. Every new tidbit is suddenly breaking with 100% certainty

Unless the source is wrong - then they are fired. Not me.

You're right. And although I understand that circumstances change, I disagree with this tweet that twitter is to blame (although it does serve as an enabler)--- this misinformation is "95%" being reported by actual reporters:

John Wawrow@john_wawrow

Funny, I just read something somewhere, in which someone accused Twitter as being unreliable as source for news. Say it ain't so.

The one thing that seems to be constant in all the "updates" (aside from maybe one or two) is that the Bills are completely irrelevant in the Chip Kelly discussion.