Jim Haslett

jumbalaya

His defense won the SB. He was along for the ride. He was an offensive genius who could never find a QB, Kyle Boller???

Much like Chan Gailey heralded as an offensive genius when he signed and up to as recently as the beginning of this season, Ryan Fitzpatrick???

It's all one big crap shoot. They make their best guess and hope it works out. Seems like the Bills have been in that mode forever I know, but there it is.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IMO you're taking this argument way too far.

You're virtually saying that it doesn't matter who the head coach is even though I don't think you actually believe that.

Of course you need a quarterback.

You also need a competent head coach. And if you're gonna argue that head coaches don't make a difference…

Competent is about all that is really needed here... I'll add Mike holmgren to the mix, he got progressively worse as his QBs talent diminished, Tom Landry was no longer considerd successful after he no longer had a QB, Chuck Knoll also vanished into obscurity, George Siefert also fell off the face of the earth post-SanFran, along with Mike Ditka, and the list goes on and on.

To prove my point, take a look at the "Bus Driver" head coach in Indianapolis for Manning's last year there, they made the playoffs, and that guy barely brought the doughnuts to team meetings.

Yes, I know not just anyone can be hired to coach this team, but seriously, solid defense and a really good QB are way more important. I think it would be hard to argue against the logic that Dick Jauron would still be here if JP Losman were the 2nd coming of Brett Favre. Those teams lost 3-4 games per season simply due to Losman being a turnover machine.

Take a really good look at Chan Gailey's 3 seasons, and you'd find it very easy to make a case that if the Bills had a better QB, and MARGINALLY better defense, the guy would still be holding the clipboard at 1 bills drive, plain and simple.

Simply put, it takes more than a shouty guy with a mean looking chin, or a goofy horror-doll look-a-like to win games. I however would not advocate the hiring of Dick Jauron again, I'm merely stating that way too much emphasis is put on hiring the right coach, and too much of the team's success given to him as well. Do you really think Bill Bellichick would have won more than 6 games with Ryan Fitzpatrick? do you really think any QB on this team could have yielded more success if he were coaching? I don't.

Much like Chan Gailey heralded as an offensive genius when he signed and up to as recently as the beginning of this season, Ryan Fitzpatrick???

It's all one big crap shoot. They make their best guess and hope it works out. Seems like the Bills have been in that mode forever I know, but there it is.

One big difference is RF was a 7th round pick and Dilfer was a top 5 pick. Gailey even made Thigpen look good for a season. CG was probably a more success offensive coach than BB. I mean aren't the Bills in the playoffs if they had the Ravens SB defense?

I don't think Haz endeared himself to the Levy era vets when he outed Kent Hull for using roids.

And, somehow, Haz, goes into Indiana (PA) as a 175 lb. Freshman safety and comes out as a 235 lb. senior LB. Hmmmmmmm?

I went into college a 170 lbs receiver and finished as a 210lbs safety. He may have used roids but it's very possible with being a real lifting program and natural body changes. Still, I don't want to even think about him as a head coach.

Remember what he said about steroids and Kent Hull...

I had forgotten about that...but I think the issue between Mr Wilson and Jim Haslett goes even further than that... Haslett and Smerlas, great on the field, were an embarassment to the franchise, before embarassing behavior was more accessable, and just accepted as it is now.

Also, IIRC, during one of the recent Bills coaching searches (there have been so many...I think it was when they hired Jauron), Haslett, who was out of a head coaching job, was lobbying for the job...he had his buddy, Fred Smerlas lobbying for Haslett (and himself) on national radio (Smerlas had a weekend gig on Fox Sports Radio at the time)...Smerlas was extolling the virtues of Haslett as a coach, and himself as a Bills color analyst...he was pretty obnoxious, and is Freds' style, couldn't help but get a bunch of digs in at the Bills franchise...when Haslett didn't get an interview, Smerlas really unloaded on the franchise, the city, and the owner... I realize that Smerlas is not Haslett, but there is a guilt by association with these two...also, there have been some pretty unsavory rumors over the years about Hasletts' embarassing, and unsavory behavior off the field, during his tenure as the Saints head coach.

Even before that, as I recall, Haslett, as a player, popped off to the media, specifically about Ralph Wilson, when Chuck Knox left town... we all know, Ralph Wilson can hold a grudge for a long time.

My favorite Bills teams of all time were the 1980 and 1981 Bills, which Jim Haslett was a big part of. With that the case, I still think the Bills are better off stearing clear of this guy. On the one hand, he would bring a toughness to the sidelines which seems to have been lacking for the last decade...but on the other, as a fan, I would rather have somebody on the sideline who is tough, holds players accountable, and doesn't act like an ass.

Agreed that this board gets carried away on the QB makes everything argument.

In reality you need a dynamic QB-HC pairing, and a solid GM that can load a roster for them. Those 3 positions must have some good synergy going for anything sustained to come through.

And you have to have a good assistant coaching staff.

Competent is about all that is really needed here…

I'm merely stating that way too much emphasis is put on hiring the right coach, and too much of the team's success given to him as well. Do you really think Bill Bellichick would have won more than 6 games with Ryan Fitzpatrick?

I understand your point.

And I'm saying that the "QB is everything" argument has reached the point where it's greatly overstated.

It's like when it becomes fashionable for a player to be called underrated. Everyone starts saying how underrated he is.

That player then becomes overrated.

The idea that the "QB is everything" is a very overrated opinion, in my opinion.

Kelly was a better QB than all of the QBs he faced in the Super Bowl.

The Bills were outcoached in at least 2 of those games and arguably in all 4.

Edited by San Jose Bills Fan

And you have to have a good assistant coaching staff.

I understand your point.

And I'm saying that the "QB is everything" argument has reached the point where it's greatly overstated.

It's like when it becomes fashionable for a player to be called underrated. Everyone starts saying how underrated he is.

That player then becomes overrated.

The idea that the "QB is everything" is a very overrated opinion, in my opinion.

Kelly was a better QB than all of the QBs he faced in the Super Bowl.

The Bills were outcoached in at least 2 of those games and arguably in all 4.

I think for our team's success I may be over-emphasizing the QB spot more than necessary due to it really looking like this logic applies very specifically to the Bills, and there's no doubt the Bills were outcoached in the first 2 superbowls for sure, so point well made...