RE: Margus Hunt Draft Rush Monster

Buffalo Barbarian

Tried to edit the original thread but it wouldn't work so I figured I renew it.

My Boy Margus has two sacks already, one that caused a fumble and another for a safety.

He seems a bit slow to be an DE but he is doing great on the inside and could be a JJ Watt type player at DT and with his frame he could easily add 30 LBs of muscle.

"SMU DE Margus Hunt wrecks Fresno State’s offense in Hawaii Bowl upset

Maybe you had heard of Margus Hunt before the Hawaii Bowl. If you don't know that much about Hunt and missed the Hawaii Bowl don't worry - you'll hear plenty about him between now and the NFL Draft.

The SMU defensive end with one of the most unique stories in college football controlled the first half against Fresno State and did wonders for his draft stock in the process. Like BYU linebacker Kyle Van Noy in the Poinsettia Bowl, Hunt completely took over a bowl game as he wrecked the Bulldogs' offense.

In the first half, Hunt had three tackles for loss, two sacks, forced two fumbles and got a safety. SMU, which was a 12-point underdog, was up 22-0 at halftime thanks to the fact that Fresno State couldn't block Hunt. The Mustangs ended up with a convincing 43-10 win.

And where did this behemoth who runs like a defensive back come from? Good question.

Hunt is from Estonia, was an elite prep track and field athlete and came to SMU in the fall of 2007 to train with renowned track and field coach Dave Wollman. Hunt won gold medals in both the shot and discus at the 2006 World Junior Championships, and still holds the world junior record in the discus throw. He had never played football before coming to SMU.

But he was 6-8 and 280 pounds, and walked on to the SMU football team. He blocked seven kicks his first year, one short of the NFL record. He is rumored to run the 40-yard dash in about 4.6 seconds. He also picked up piano.

Many people took notice. He was named the No. 1 athletic freak in college football by CBSSports.com this offseason, in an article that predicted he would run a 4.6 40-yard dash and also bench press 225 pounds 45 times at the NFL scouting combine."

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf-dr-saturday/smu-margus-hunt-wrecks-fresno-state-offense-hawaii-042657867--ncaaf.html

original thread below:

http://forums.twobil...er-margus-hunt/

Edited by Buffalo Barbarian

Margus Hunt is a physical specimen and a freak of nature, but he's a middling defensive player at best. He plays far too high, and is very slow off the snap allowing offensive linemen to defeat his obvious physical advantages by getting not only their hands, but often their forearms and shoulders into him. He doesn't have any pass rush moves, nor does he hand fight well.

His one obvious strength has been his ability to use his length and athleticism to consistently block kicks, but I don't know how well that will translate into batted balls given his inability to get off of blockers.

Margus is likely to put on a Mike Mamulaesque show at the combine, elevating his draft grade. Someone will shoot their wad on him two rounds too early. Let's hope it's not us.

Margus Hunt is a physical specimen and a freak of nature, but he's a middling defensive player at best. He plays far too high, and is very slow off the snap allowing offensive linemen to defeat his obvious physical advantages by getting not only their hands, but often their forearms and shoulders into him. He doesn't have any pass rush moves, nor does he hand fight well.

His one obvious strength has been his ability to use his length and athleticism to consistently block kicks, but I don't know how well that will translate into batted balls given his inability to get off of blockers.

Margus is likely to put on a Mike Mamulaesque show at the combine, elevating his draft grade. Someone will shoot their wad on him two rounds too early. Let's hope it's not us.

I see what your are saying but from seeing him last year and this year he has a ton of potential. For being an explosive athlete he should be explosive off the snap. I think with some NFL strength straining and technique he could be a star and lets remember he never played till he got here 4 years ago and should only get better, so a fourth rounder would be about right but he will probably go higher.

IMO if the guy looks good on film vs quality lineman, dominates at senior bowl, & blows away at the combine, why not spend a 2nd round pick on the guy?

We need another end & although he will be 26 next year that's not old.

With Hunt 6'8" & Mario 6'7" that's a whole lotta passes to bat down.

Add Dareus & Carrington "Mr Block" you have huge front 4.

Kyle Williams will be 30 next year, perhaps rotate in Williams on nickel & dime (passing) packages?

IMO if the guy looks good on film vs quality lineman, dominates at senior bowl, & blows away at the combine, why not spend a 2nd round pick on the guy?

We need another end & although he will be 26 next year that's not old.

With Hunt 6'8" & Mario 6'7" that's a whole lotta passes to bat down.

Add Dareus & Carrington "Mr Block" you have huge front 4.

Kyle Williams will be 30 next year, perhaps rotate in Williams on nickel & dime (passing) packages?

Because this team needs a QB and LBs in the early rounds.

I'd take a quality DL over over LB any day, I love Kyle but him and Dareus have been getting blown back all season even though kyle makes big plays. Its like he blows plays up or gets blown up and firmly believe if the line was stout then our LBs would be fine.

QB round one though for sure.

I'd take a quality DL over over LB any day, I love Kyle but him and Dareus have been getting blown back all season even though kyle makes big plays. Its like he blows plays up or gets blown up and firmly believe if the line was stout then our LBs would be fine.

QB round one though for sure.

You can't be serious??? Barnett and Bradham would not start on any other team and Sheppard probably starts on only a handful of teams. The Bills have the worst set of LB's in the league by far. Everyone knew it before the season started.

If this guy can be a starter at the opposite DE position why not add him? A guy drawing comparisons to JJ Watt whose only down fall is his age.

Will be interesting to see what scouts say of his lower body strength & flexibility - that usually is what makes the difference in the NFL.

Buffalo Barbarian, I don't know how accurate this is, but I heard the announcers say that he runs a 4.6 40.

yep that's accurate

If this guy can be a starter at the opposite DE position why not add him? A guy drawing comparisons to JJ Watt whose only down fall is his age.

Will be interesting to see what scouts say of his lower body strength & flexibility - that usually is what makes the difference in the NFL.

being an Olympic caliber discuss and shot putter he's explosive, but watching the game he looks better as an inside rusher than outside.

You can't be serious??? Barnett and Bradham would not start on any other team and Sheppard probably starts on only a handful of teams. The Bills have the worst set of LB's in the league by far. Everyone knew it before the season started.

nope, Bradham is a rookie so give it a chance. Barnett hasn't looked good this year but that means we really only need one LB and Jelani Jenkins will take care of that.

I am all for adding good players, but we need a QB, LBs and a RB in this draft ( and a WR, and a CB...)

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.