Is a new OC a possibility?

ProbablyWrong

Reading between the lines, if Buddy really believes that the roster is much improved and has more talent than when he took over, then the Bills poor record should indicate that Gailey is underperforming as the HC. You can't improve the roster and have better coaching and regress in record. Something doesn't add up. Either the coaching is poor or the roster is not as talented as you think. Nix has consistently said that he believes they are a better team than their record and that they have done a good job of adding talent. I think this is a subtle jab that he is NOT happy with Gailey's job performance.

If you really look there is evidence that they are not seeing eye to eye on some things. I don't think Nix drafted Spiller at 9 overall with his first pick as GM to see him underutilized in 3rd season. I don't think he traded for Tavaris Jackson to see him inactive all season, even if it was injury insurance for Fitz. If Fitz went down, why would Jackson be any more or less ready to play than where he is now. I don't think Nix re-signed Rian Lindell to new contract less than a year ago (which pays the 8th highest average salary among kickers) to see him attempt 1 FG over 50 yards and only 5 over 40 yards (of which he has made all of BTW) and only 20 FGs all year.

very good post and very good points you make!

Reading between the lines, if Buddy really believes that the roster is much improved and has more talent than when he took over, then the Bills poor record should indicate that Gailey is underperforming as the HC. You can't improve the roster and have better coaching and regress in record. Something doesn't add up. Either the coaching is poor or the roster is not as talented as you think. Nix has consistently said that he believes they are a better team than their record and that they have done a good job of adding talent. I think this is a subtle jab that he is NOT happy with Gailey's job performance.

If you really look there is evidence that they are not seeing eye to eye on some things. I don't think Nix drafted Spiller at 9 overall with his first pick as GM to see him underutilized in 3rd season. I don't think he traded for Tavaris Jackson to see him inactive all season, even if it was injury insurance for Fitz. If Fitz went down, why would Jackson be any more or less ready to play than where he is now. I don't think Nix re-signed Rian Lindell to new contract less than a year ago (which pays the 8th highest average salary among kickers) to see him attempt 1 FG over 50 yards and only 5 over 40 yards (of which he has made all of BTW) and only 20 FGs all year.

I certainly agree. When the season is over, what changes are forthcoming? I thought Buddy fetched Gailey to bring in. If Buddy and Chan ain't in lock step with each other, then what went wrong? It would seem reasonable to believe that one or the other has to go. I don't think Gailey has any prior relationship with Ralph, but Buddy does. So, it would seem Gailey's the one to go. But then Ralph would be on the hook for another $5M or so that he's got to pay Gailey for doing nothing and sign on a new lackey for the same money. I don't see Ralph doing that. Perhaps if one gets canned, so does the other... unless Buddy can sell Ralph otherwise. I don't know what's gonna happen... maybe Buddy serves up an ultimatum on Gailey to get a new OC, maybe not. But, I think at this time next year Gailey is a gonner... no way can he coach this team to the playoffs.

I certainly agree. When the season is over, what changes are forthcoming? I thought Buddy fetched Gailey to bring in. If Buddy and Chan ain't in lock step with each other, then what went wrong? It would seem reasonable to believe that one or the other has to go. I don't think Gailey has any prior relationship with Ralph, but Buddy does. So, it would seem Gailey's the one to go. But then Ralph would be on the hook for another $5M or so that he's got to pay Gailey for doing nothing and sign on a new lackey for the same money. I don't see Ralph doing that. Perhaps if one gets canned, so does the other... unless Buddy can sell Ralph otherwise. I don't know what's gonna happen... maybe Buddy serves up an ultimatum on Gailey to get a new OC, maybe not. But, I think at this time next year Gailey is a gonner... no way can he coach this team to the playoffs.

If Gailey can not coach us to the playoffs with this easy a schedule, why shouldn't he be fired when the season ends? If Ralph is willing to pay $100 million for Mario Williams, I think he eats whatever is left on Gailey's contract.. He will make that up ten fold if he fires Gailey and the team finally turns around.

If Gailey can not coach us to the playoffs with this easy a schedule, why shouldn't he be fired when the season ends? If Ralph is willing to pay $100 million for Mario Williams, I think he eats whatever is left on Gailey's contract.. He will make that up ten fold if he fires Gailey and the team finally turns around.

Ralph has never had a problem paying players. I can't think of situation where a player left because of contract issues. Sure, they let guys go, but it was never a situation where the Bills just were like we want to keep you but we won't pay you. We never were big money spenders, but we were never cheap with player contracts. It is everything else that Ralph doesn't believe in spending money on. Ralph has never shelled out for premier coaching or management, whether it be HCs or assistants. One of the biggest reasons why coaches don't want to come here is the limited assistant coaching budget.

I love these threads. They're like collective daydreams. Nix has already said nothing's going to happen. And we all know that, even if Gailey and the crew do get booted, a replacement will be another retread, at least as long as Ralph is the owner.

Fairly early in the season I said that Chan should turn over play calling duties to Curtis Modkins.

This was when Chan refused to run the ball, was using empty sets on 3rd and 2, etc.

I personally don't think Chan is smart enough to call plays AND manage a game.

However the possible flaw in my argument is the assumption that Chan would become a better game manager if he was relieved of the play calling burden.

That assumption might not be true.

Fairly early in the season I said that Chan should turn over play calling duties to Curtis Modkins.

This was when Chan refused to run the ball, was using empty sets on 3rd and 2, etc.

I personally don't think Chan is smart enough to call plays AND manage a game.

However the possible flaw in my argument is the assumption that Chan would become a better game manager if he was relieved of the play calling burden.

That assumption might not be true.

I'd be curious to hear someone speak to his time in Dallas or Georgia tech - did he have the same set up and did similar issues haunt him. It seems sometimes he misses the forest for the trees with his current set up. So wrapped up in offensive details that he misses game issues when you try and piece together what happened after the fact. It might just be his stupendously bad post game wrap ups that make it seem even worse though.

I'd be curious to hear someone speak to his time in Dallas or Georgia tech - did he have the same set up and did similar issues haunt him. It seems sometimes he misses the forest for the trees with his current set up. So wrapped up in offensive details that he misses game issues when you try and piece together what happened after the fact. It might just be his stupendously bad post game wrap ups that make it seem even worse though.

Good point. Sometimes when I see him standing there with the headphones on I just want to have someone rip them off. It always looks to me like he's too absorbed to know what's going on in the game.

There must have been at least 6 times this season where Gailey should have challenged a play and didn't.

Too often Chan seems oblivious.

Good point. Sometimes when I see him standing there with the headphones on I just want to have someone rip them off. It always looks to me like he's too absorbed to know what's going on in the game.

There must have been at least 6 times this season where Gailey should have challenged a play and didn't.

Too often Chan seems oblivious.

And he's had a few really weird comments with regards to almost checking out from certain responsibilities - the not watching the defense one still rings in my head as a "that can't be true... Or can it?" Type of moment.

And he's had a few really weird comments with regards to almost checking out from certain responsibilities - the not watching the defense one still rings in my head as a "that can't be true... Or can it?" Type of moment.

Yep. Bottom line he does not seem like the kind of coach who has his finger on the pulse.

Yep. Bottom line he does not seem like the kind of coach who has his finger on the pulse.

You mean he is an offensive coordinator? If Gailey was our OC and we had a real head coach, this team would be in great shape. Same thing with Fitz. We arguably have a top 5 OC and backup QB instead of a bottom tier head coach and starting QB.

You mean he is an offensive coordinator? If Gailey was our OC and we had a real head coach, this team would be in great shape. Same thing with Fitz. We arguably have a top 5 OC and backup QB instead of a bottom tier head coach and starting QB.

I'd agree to a point.

If Gailey was an offensive coordinator, I think he would benefit from a strong head coach who gave him guidelines to work within.

As I've pointed out numerous times, Kevin Gilbride was viewed as a pass happy coach when he worked under Jack Pardee and Greg(g) Williams. But when he worked under Bill Cowher and Tom Coughlin, suddenly he runs a balanced offense.

I dont trust Chan even as an offensive coordinator if left to his own devices.

That's why I wanted to see Modkins run the offense.

I'd agree to a point.

If Gailey was an offensive coordinator, I think he would benefit from a strong head coach who gave him guidelines to work within.

As I've pointed out numerous times, Kevin Gilbride was viewed as a pass happy coach when he worked under Jack Pardee and Greg(g) Williams. But when he worked under Bill Cowher and Tom Coughlin, suddenly he runs a balanced offense.

I dont trust Chan even as an offensive coordinator if left to his own devices.

That's why I wanted to see Modkins run the offense.

Gotcha. I kinda meant the same thing. Gailey needs to be kept in line. If Cowher was the coach and saw Gailey get to pass happy and not give Spiller his touches, he'd back hand him.

A new OC? Jeez, I'm hoping for a new coaching staff and GM at this point. This good old boy connection has been worse then Jauron / Levy. Tough to believe I know, but nonetheless true.

I have a difficult time believing that this owner hasn't taken notice of his teams performance this third year, and he can't be happy with Nix or Gailey. 15-30 .333 is the record for both Nix /Gailey.

I'm hoping Ralph Wilson wakes up from his coma long enough to realize just how bad his team has become under Buddy Nix. A real good old boy, but not in the same league as Bill Polian / John Butler....not even close!

It could always be worse.

http://www.washingto...jhXTI_blog.html

PS: Check the Marty reference. It could be better, too.

Interesting thing about Spurrier is that prior to being head coach of the Redskins, he had never coached in the NFL. He played in the NFL and coached in college and the USFL but never in the NFL. I don't think he had any idea of what he was getting into.

I have no problems with a college head coach who makes the jump to the pros PROVIDED that he has NFL coaching experience beforehand.

For instance, Stanford's David Shaw was an NFL assistant for 8 years.

Chip Kelly on the other hand has never coached in the NFL.

Well, Jerry Jones made a comment about Chan. Jerry said "Firing Chan after two years as HC was one of the worst decsions I ever made". If you translate that, what Jerry means is, he should have fired his ass after one season.

Also, Aikman was not very complimentary of Chan... he did not care for his offense or play calling.

Well, Jerry Jones made a comment about Chan. Jerry said "Firing Chan after two years as HC was one of the worst decsions I ever made". If you translate that, what Jerry means is, he should have fired his ass after one season.

Also, Aikman was not very complimentary of Chan... he did not care for his offense or play calling.

LMAO!!! :lol: