CVG-67 USS JFK to be retired

The conventionally-powered carrier USS John F. Kennedy is going to be retired from service. I'd hate to see it scrapped (with the attendant expense).

Any thoughts/comments about it's fate? I wonder if GB or Australia or Japan would like to take it over - I searched and it runs about 120M per year in operating cost.

The conventionally-powered carrier USS John F. Kennedy is going to be retired from service. I'd hate to see it scrapped (with the attendant expense).

Any thoughts/comments about it's fate? I wonder if GB or Australia or Japan would like to take it over - I searched and it runs about 120M per year in operating cost.

192991[/snapback]

If I kept the thermostat at 68 and insulated, could I get that down to about $1,500/month? I'm in the market.

192991[/snapback]

Probably goes into the reserve fleet, sits mothballed for a while, then gets broken up when the first or second CVNX is launched. And it is usually cheaper to scrap them than it is to keep them mothballed - particularly the JFK, as she's conventionally powered. When they reture the Enterprise or Nimitz, that's going to be expensive.

And no countries are likely to take it over. Japan's forbidden by law to have carrier forces (or any expeditionary forces; the deployment of the Japanese Navy to the Indian Ocean for relief work is a serious rarity). She's half-again too big for Great Britian's needs or budget...who's collaborating with France (<snicker>) on their next-generation full-deck carrier anyway. And the Aussies need a carrier like I need a bigger brain. Only countries that can both use and afford carriers, really, are the one's we're least likely to give them to: China and India.

Probably goes into the reserve fleet, sits mothballed for a while, then gets broken up when the first or second CVNX is launched.  And it is usually cheaper to scrap them than it is to keep them mothballed - particularly the JFK, as she's conventionally powered.  When they reture the Enterprise or Nimitz, that's going to be expensive.

And no countries are likely to take it over.  Japan's forbidden by law to have carrier forces (or any expeditionary forces; the deployment of the Japanese Navy to the Indian Ocean for relief work is a serious rarity).  She's half-again too big for Great Britian's needs or budget...who's collaborating with France (<snicker>) on their next-generation full-deck carrier anyway.  And the Aussies need a carrier like I need a bigger brain.  Only countries that can both use and afford carriers, really, are the one's we're least likely to give them to: China and India.

193119[/snapback]

Thanks for the info, Tom. Perhaps she will be moored somewhere and ultimately become a museum piece/tourist attraction. That would be quite an endeavor, I know.

A proud ship due all honors, whatever it's fate may be.

Guest RabidBillsFanVT

Good... it's about time. That CVN has been a pain in the a$$ to the Navy for a few years now... the Kitty Hawk looked much better for its age than the JFK! It is going to save the Navy a lot of money and heartache by doing this. No other nation will take her, I imagine... we just don't give away a nuke like that. It's not like it's the Yorktown or something, remember! :)

It will be stripped. And probably sent up to Newport, R.I. where

there are currently two decommisioned carriers pierside. JFK is

junk. Ship was in such bad condition 3 years ago, that its scheduled

6 month deployment was delayed 3 months and the skipper was

relieved. Horror stories of people actually being able to put their

whole hand through rusted steel bulkheads.

Ship was in such bad condition 3 years ago, that its scheduled

6 month deployment was delayed 3 months and the skipper was

relieved.

The ship was just overhauled starting Jan, 2003

"After some exercises in the Atlantic Ocean, the carrier headed for New York City in July 2000, where it participated in the International Naval Review celebrations and afterwards the KENNEDY conducted another port visit to Boston and was back in Mayport, Fla. in August."

"After poor marks on a December inspection, the Navy stripped Capt. Maurice Joyce of his command in December 2001, and KENNEDY's scheduled deployment was delayed a month."

USS JOHN F. KENNEDY, which endured serious mechanical problems during the deployment, will begin a nine-month overhaul in January.

From October 4 - November 4, 2002, JFK conducted carrier qualifications for Fleet Readiness Squadrons (FRS), Training Command (TRACOM) students and TRACOM instructors in the western Atlantic Ocean.

On January 6, 2003, KENNEDY began a nine-month overhaul at the ship's homeport in Mayport, Fla.

Ready to return to sea in October, the carrier's next major mission was Operation Blinding Storm which was the combined joint task force exercise for the KENNEDY strike Group. Departing Mayport, Fla., on June 7, 2004, the Strike Group participated in the CJTFEX till June 18, and after being certified to deploy, the carrier set sail for the Mediterranean. After a port visit to Malta from June 26 - 29, the strike group continued its voyage through the Suez Canal and entered the Persian Gulf on July 7. Local operations including direct support of Operation Iraqi Freedom lasted till November 20, when the KENNEDY was relieved by the USS HARRY S. TRUMAN (CVN 75). After another Suez Canal Transit, the KENNEDY returned home to Mayport on December 13, 2004. During the deployment CVW-17 aircraft flew 8,296 sorties for a total flight time of 21,824 hours. Of that total, 4,396 sorties and 11,607 flight hours were in direct support of Operation Iraqi Freedom.

http://www.navysite.de/cvn/cv67.htm

Aaah - A namesake charges in :

http://www.boston.com/news/nation/washingt...john_f_kennedy/

Guest RabidBillsFanVT
The govt spends 9 months overhauling it just 2 years ago and now they are scrapping it?  There's a fine use of our tax money.

195528[/snapback]

Believe me, the Navy was ALREADY plenty embarassed when they had to pour all this money into her. Plenty of people got relieved over this whole fiasco... so we KNOW it was a waste.

Believe me, the govt does it all the time... They spent millions of dollars in construction costs into buildings in Roosevelt Roads, Puerto Rico, only to have to close the whole base down. These things are common.

I heard Ashcroft, as a parting gift, is going to load it up with evildoers and sink it in Lake Erie.

195093[/snapback]

So it's last port of call will be Hyannisport, MA? Might have trouble negotiating the St. Lawrence Seaway and the Welland Canal, though...

:devil:

BTW, seriously, hope you had happy holidays, blz. We are friends now, remember? B-)

"A proud ship due all honors, whatever it's fate may be."

After stripping all reusable materials - sometimes they just sink them !

The Oriskany (CVA-34) is on it's way

http://www.ussoriskany.com/id18.html

Following twenty-five years of service, Oriskany was decommissioned 30 September 1975. She was stricken from the Naval Vessel Register in July 1989, and sold for scrapping on 9 September 1995. The contractor defaulted and the ship was repossessed by the Navy, with the contract terminated 30 July 1997. The ship remained at the Beaumont Reserve Fleet in Beaumont, Tex., until December 2004 when she was towed to Pensacola, Fla., for prepration to be sunk as an artifical reef in the summer of 2005.

http://peoships.crane.navy.mil/reefing/faqs.htm

So it's last port of call will be Hyannisport, MA? Might have trouble negotiating the St. Lawrence Seaway and the Welland Canal, though...

:lol:

BTW, seriously, hope you had happy holidays, blz.  We are friends now, remember? :lol:

198158[/snapback]

A WHOLE lot of cutting! :D:lol::lol:

Getting there is a whole 'nother story!

Only the American lock (Poe) at the Soo (1200'x110') might accomdate it... BUT, then again that is past Lake Erie and Ashcroft's desired location. The Poe accomadates the super-lakers... Then draft and beam would be an issue.

The Welland would be a tough squeeze at (766'x80', Lock #8 is 1148'x80')... Like a "blivet": "Ten pounds of sh*t in a 5 pound bag!" :lol:

With its (USS JFK) beam being about 130' and length at just over 1,000 feet... I take it can't navigate the Panama Canal (1000'x110')either?

That horizontal clearance (beam) has got to be pretty solid, so I guess any modification is out of the question??... The radical beam is at a whopping 249'

0:)