Some observations on this season NFL wide

djp14150

What i have seen in games around the league is that its been the best of times and the worst of times for teams that shows not much separates some teams from being playoff teams.

Here are some examples:

Detroit

7 of their 8 loses so far have been by one score, the other loss by 10 pts (still close game). If they lose tonight it would be 8 of 9. Were they able to win half of these games they lost they would be right in the heart of wild card races. I wouldnt be too surprised to see them bounce back next year and still be in the playoff hunt.

Indianapolis

8 of their 9 wins have been by one score. 5 of those wins were second half deficits. I wouldnt be surprised if they take a step back next year in part because teams adjust to a new QB and learn their tendencies after a season.

Cleveland

6 of their 8 loses they had the ball with the lead or a chance to take a lead from late in the third quarter on. One loss was by 7 but still close game, In that other loss they had a multiple score lead early in the game.

New Orleans

Their coach being suspended and the defense being in chaos killed this season. Of their 8 loses, 6 of them were close/competitive games that had they won haalf of those they would be 8-5 instead of 5-8. i wouldnt be surprised to see them bounce back next year if Sean Payton is their head coach.

Carolina

7 of their 9 loses were by 8 pts or less so they had a lot of close loses. Part of this could be attributed to a sophmore slump by Cam so if he bounces back next year the team could be back in the playoff hunt.

Philadelphia

another team that lost alot of close games. 4-5 of their loses they could have won with a play or two.

Parity just allows a team with a franchise QB the opportunity to win the game in the 4th Qtr. Closer games means more drama, more eyeballs, more ad revenue.

There might be parity in the lower half of the NFL. However, the upper half has been dominated by the Patriots, Colts, Packers, Giants, Steelers, Ravens in the past decade. They are the standards...and we have not come any where close to beating any of those teams.

Do you miss seeing 8-12 teams that truly sucked also?

No, but I miss seeing truly great teams more. The league is too watered-down. Like I've said in other posts, it's been a very long time since I've seen a SB winning team that I would rank even close to the all-time greats.

No, but I miss seeing truly great teams more. The league is too watered-down. Like I've said in other posts, it's been a very long time since I've seen a SB winning team that I would rank even close to the all-time greats.

Seeing the dilution of the league was probably the result of expansion...that's definitely the case in baseball. More teams = more opportunities for "lesser" players to make the team.

That said, I enjoy the parity. I like it when 4-5 teams still have a shot at the playoffs in Week 15 or 16. Even if the Bills are out of it, I like watching the intense games with the season on the line. It certainly makes things less stressful - unless I'm watching the Patriots, where I'm begging for them to lose.