"Building the Franchise the right way"

They are playing well and are 1 game behind the defending SB champs. They are not a game ahead of "us". They are in the NFC.

And what has Nix done to address the biggest deficit identified by the fans--QB?

I beleive he recently announced that he is Very interested in aquiring a QB.

Good call on his part i think.

Never to early to start developing a young QB to take the reins

Edited by 3rdand12

My belabored point here is this - it seems to me in the NFL you are always working with windows of time - 4 or 5 years, maybe - before you have to really bring in new talent and let go of some aging talent. Now, there are cornerstone players a team can build around for 10 years - LT's, QB's, WR's, LB's, DE's. After 3 years we are still without a truly good leader at ILB, without a viable QB, and that necessary WR opposite Stevie - not to mention an explosive TE (Chandler is good, but he's no burner).

In summation, the idea of a "foundation" is only valid if you're committed to aquiring the right talent at the right time - because if you're passive, and wait for a QB to come to you - in our case - the window on the other key players who are part of the foundation narrows. Does anyone agree, here? A foundation in today's NFL should be put together in 3 to 4 years, before you start having to replace key players.

You have to re-sign your key players or else you keep starting over. Byrd, Levitre, etc. must be re-signed.

With the Bills it seems like the best players often leave after their rookie contracts end.

I beleive he recently announced that he is Very interested in aquiring a QB.

Good call on his part i think.

Never to early to start developing a young QB to take the reins

So...The fact that he seemingly just realized this, in his 3rd year as GM, when the only real QB he had was Fitz...That does not bother you at all? :huh:

The NFL is a QB show, without one you can spend decades building a team but you won't get far. It sucks to write this while talking about a team sport but it's the thruth.

Get a franchise QB and your team will go along with him.

of course the playoffs exclusions to this are-

San Fran who tried to lure Payton Manningand when they couldn't went with Alex Smith again and at first opportunity replaced him - with Kaepernick who might be something, might not... they don't have a QB

Chicago has a nice name in Cutler but he's not a big game producer anymore cracking 300 yards once this season in game 1 has 15 td's 11 ints

Seattle starts a rookie in Russell Wilson so it's understanding why they are the 4th lowest scoring team in the league, despite Marshawn Lynch having a huge year

Houston Matt Schaub has been under 275 in 9 of 12 games, and has only attempted over 40 passes twice both overtime games

Pittsburgh has a proven quarterback, but it's the defense which is always how they have won for the last 20 years is again 2nd in pts given up some Steelers playoff games Big Ben has thrown for 133-188-197-208-123-223-181-226 - hardly a dominating force.

Baltimore no one has relied on the other side of the ball more than Joe has chipped in Baltimore playoffs games with yardage of 135-161-141-189-125-176

The point is all these teams win of defense, and compliment it with a good running game. Wins and Losses are not the Quarterbacks stat its a team stat. Do you want to discuss these quarterbacks riding along while the defense wins the game - it's hard to ignore. The only one who has a little wiggle room is Ben because the guy is clutch and the end of close game, of course why are they close - yep defense again. And he's always had a back breaking running attack he's success throwing over 35-40 times a game is very low.

Build the defense then the offense plays as a compliment to the defense not separate, unless your can find a Manning or Brady or Rodgers. Even Brees who 5-4 in the playoffs has found it tough with games of 243-247-187

Edited by CardinalScotts

San Fran who tried to lure Payton Manningand when they couldn't went with Alex Smith again and at first opportunity replaced him - with Kaepernick who might be something, might not... they don't have a QB

Chicago has a nice name in Cutler but he's not a big game producer anymore cracking 300 yards once this season in game 1 has 15 td's 11 ints

Seattle starts a rookie in Russell Wilson so it's understanding why they are the 4th lowest scoring team in the league, despite Marshawn Lynch having a huge year

Houston Matt Schaub has been under 275 in 9 of 12 games, and has only attempted over 40 passes twice both overtime games

Pittsburgh has a proven quarterback, but it's the defense which is always how they have won for the last 20 years is again 2nd in pts given up some Steelers playoff games Big Ben has thrown for 133-188-197-208-123-223-181-226 - hardly a dominating force.

Baltimore no one has relied on the other side of the ball more than Joe has chipped in Baltimore playoffs games with yardage of 135-161-141-189-125-176

The point is all these teams win of defense, and compliment it with a good running game. Wins and Losses are not the Quarterbacks stat its a team stat. Do you want to discuss these quarterbacks riding along while the defense wins the game - it's hard to ignore. The only one who has a little wiggle room is Ben because the guy is clutch and the end of close game, of course why are they close - yep defense again. And he's always had a back breaking running attack he's success throwing over 35-40 times a game is very low.

Build the defense then the offense plays as a compliment to the defense not separate.

SF, Chi, Seattle, Baltimore have won a combined zero SBs in over a decade. Teams winning, or at least playing for the SB have been teams like the pats, the Saints, the Colts, and GB--all teams with mediocre to crappy defenses, but future HOF QBs.

So...The fact that he seemingly just realized this, in his 3rd year as GM, when the only real QB he had was Fitz...That does not bother you at all? :huh:

Iwas attempting (weakly ) for sarcasm.

Everyone including Chan and absotively Buddy Nix, knew the risk they took.

I will take that opinion with me when i go. :death:

They lost the bet.

the results are in. And it seems Ryan was failing early and often.

Yep.The Boys rolled dice.

I was hoping myself for strong showing.

Buddy. to anyone who will listen

" Ok guys, so now we really really should get a real QB in the draft. I know you guys thought i was kidding last year and Chan wanted to be a hero but this year we must hogtie one. Do you hear me Doug ! ! Get me a f'n QB. "

Maybe this is how it played out after San Francisco game. or the Tennessee game , or the...

Build the defense then the offense plays as a compliment to the defense not separate, unless your can find a Manning or Brady or Rodgers. Even Brees who 5-4 in the playoffs has found it tough with games of 243-247-187

First - I'm really pleased with the replies we've had to this post. As for the post quoted above - I agree, as well. You can build a championship team in more than one way. If the Bills decided their blueprint for a championship was building the toughest defense in the NFL and having a great running game, and a game-managing QB, I'd be thrilled with that. But I look at our team - and the reason I used Washington as a comparison is this: Gruden, the whole night, was raving about the creative offense of the Redskins, and how nobody wanted to play them right now because of that offense, and the Pistol alignment. I immediately thought, "We run the Pistol offense, and our O-line is BETTER than theirs, and our RB's are better than theirs, and our WR's are similar in talent." So... why are the Bills considered an afterthought? Gailey goes out every game and has us playing as if we had Tom Brady at QB. He doesn't play to our strengths. And, add to that fact we have Wannstedt who seems hell bent on playing defense ONE way - his way, and if it doesn't work, instead of adapting, we get BLOWN away.

It's one thing to say, there are other ways to build a championship team, but when the coaching staff puts the game in the hands of the QB - perhaps the least talented offensive player we have - week in and out, I say we need that QB then! But, honestly, if Wannstedt, or whoever is coaching this defense next year, gets some more key players, and turns us into a monster defense, I'd be just as happy with that. I just want to see a real, true, defined objective direction. I want to know what the identity of this Bills team is supposed to be. Who are we? I mean, we know who the Steelers are, the Patriots, the Ravens, the 49'ers - those teams go out and beat people by playing THEIR game - they play their way, to their strengths - you know what you're going to get; it's a matter of lining up and trying to stop them. With us - it seems like every week we're trying to outsmart the opponent, trying to trick our way into a victory. We simply don't seem to have that identity which goes a very long way in helping to build a team, because it lets you know what type of players you need to go after.