Hey Chan, don't throw this blueprint away

Martimus

Incredible as this sounds, Gailey put himself under the microscope to an even greater degree with what transpired Sunday, when the Bills grounded Jacksonville into submission and won the rushing battle 232 yards to 50.

By running with conviction, giving the ball 25 times to Fred Jackson and 14 more to C.J. Spiller, the Bills cruised. As entertaining as it was to watch, it magnified all those lost opportunities this season when Gailey chose to let the opponent dictate how an afternoon of football should be played, by their rules and not his.

Granted, Buffalo’s 46 total rushes and just 17 pass attempts were dictated by many factors — the weather, having a lead and the defense keeping it, “Where was this blueprint kept all year, coach?”

Whenever I'm watching a Bills game and the camera suddenly shows Chan Gailey I immediately think he looks like an elderly high school shop teacher, a bus driver, a plumber, jobs like that.

All very honorable professions but NOT a football head coach.

LOL. FWIW, he's not really a professional football coach anyway. With a record like his, you could say he's not.

+1

We could also say that he's going to be back again next season. :bag:

my biggest fear honestly. We have the players to compete and win. We don't have a coach smart enough to realize what we have. Instead of run, run, pass, which is what our offense should be, he is more likely to pass, run, pass. It's a joke. When you have a QB like Fitz, you can win if you manage him and the offense correctly. Chan doesn't. It's his fault were not at 7 wins or more right now.

Whenever I'm watching a Bills game and the camera suddenly shows Chan Gailey I immediately think he looks like an elderly high school shop teacher, a bus driver, a plumber, jobs like that.

All very honorable professions but NOT a football head coach.

I know I'm looking at Chan, but I see Gene Hackman.

1.) The Bills were ahead on the scoreboard for the entire game so they had the luxury of continually pounding the ball

2.) JAX run defense is terrible

Just because we ran the ball 25 times, does not mean that is the reason we won the game.

The point the OP was making is the RB's got 42 touches vs Fitz only having 17 attempts.

If you hadn't noticed, Bills fans have been complaining all season long that this HC doesn't utilize his star RB's enough while having the sub par QB throw it 35-40 times a game

The point the OP was making is the RB's got 42 touches vs Fitz only having 17 attempts.

If you hadn't noticed, Bills fans have been complaining all season long that this HC doesn't utilize his star RB's enough while having the sub par QB throw it 35-40 times a game

I understand the point. But my point is that running so much was not necessarily part of the initial game plan and it was not the reason we won. We were able to run so much because our defense stopped JAX often and because we were playing with a lead. That allowed (almost forced) Chan to stick with the run. I love the fact that we ran so much and hope it continues. I am simply pointing out that had JAX been able to score on our defense, we might have been forced to throw more.

I hate that Chan tends to be pass happy and neglects the run game. It is ridiculous that Spiller did not have a carry in the last 13 minutes of the Indy game even though we only trailed by one score.

+ 1

The passing game is not good, the running game is amongst the best in the league by any metrics I have looked at.

Gailey insists on throwing.

my biggest fear honestly. We have the players to compete and win. We don't have a coach smart enough to realize what we have. Instead of run, run, pass, which is what our offense should be, he is more likely to pass, run, pass. It's a joke. When you have a QB like Fitz, you can win if you manage him and the offense correctly. Chan doesn't. It's his fault were not at 7 wins or more right now.

Didn't we put a billboard clamoring no more to that Jauron special offense?

I understand the point. But my point is that running so much was not necessarily part of the initial game plan and it was not the reason we won. We were able to run so much because our defense stopped JAX often and because we were playing with a lead. That allowed (almost forced) Chan to stick with the run. I love the fact that we ran so much and hope it continues. I am simply pointing out that had JAX been able to score on our defense, we might have been forced to throw more.

I hate that Chan tends to be pass happy and neglects the run game. It is ridiculous that Spiller did not have a carry in the last 13 minutes of the Indy game even though we only trailed by one score.

Marginalizing the QB touches is the point. Keeping the ball in the star RB's hands vs the almost inept QB's hands should be the primary goal every game, and should have been the goal for the last 3 years.

In my view running the ball more then passing it did win that game for the Buffalo Bills. Even when they no longer have a lead they should continue to run the ball more then throwing it. Which is something that seems to elude the current HC

Marginalizing the QB touches is the point. Keeping the ball in the star RB's hands vs the almost inept QB's hands should be the primary goal every game, and should have been the goal for the last 3 years.

In my view running the ball more then passing it did win that game for the Buffalo Bills. Even when they no longer have a lead they should continue to run the ball more then throwing it. Which is something that seems to elude the current HC

Thats all great when you are playing a team with a ****ty run defense and you have a lead. It is not always simple. That is why people are clamoring for Fitz to get replaced. Many NFL games are decided by passing the ball. The team with the better QB generally wins and Fitz is not good enough. So I agree that we should try to limit his throws, that is obvious. But sometimes you just don;t have that luxury and need to depend on his arm. In that case, we're pretty much screwed.

Thats all great when you are playing a team with a ****ty run defense and you have a lead. It is not always simple. That is why people are clamoring for Fitz to get replaced. Many NFL games are decided by passing the ball. The team with the better QB generally wins and Fitz is not good enough. So I agree that we should try to limit his throws, that is obvious. But sometimes you just don;t have that luxury and need to depend on his arm. In that case, we're pretty much screwed.

That formula of running the ball to set up the pass and have the QB only manage the game instead of forcing him to shoulder it is currently working for several NFL teams. Ravens, Texans, 49ers. All playoff teams. The Jets used to be in this discussion.

The Jets and Mark Sanchez are a classic example of how to screw up a young QB. Under OC Brian Schottenheimer the Jets were a dominate running team that made it to the AFC championship game in 2010. Just to give you an example of how they are trying to become more of a passing team and putting more pressure on the QB to win games.

2009 Jets 393 attempts passing vs 607 attempts rushing (9-7) new HC & rookie QB

2010 Jets 525 attempts passing vs 534 attempts rushing (11-5)

2011 Jets 507 attempts passing vs 443 attempts rushing (8-8)

2012 Jets 385 attempts passing vs 363 attempts rushing (5-7)

Running the ball works even when your team is down 21 points or more, it controls the clock and keeps the opposing offense off the field. It also keeps your defense fresh so they don't need to do a double header game after game like the bills did in 2010-2011 and most of 2012.

Last week the Bills were #7 in rushing. This week they are #4 behind only Washington, San Fran, Minnesota. They could easily be the #1 rushing team in the NFL with the dynamic pair of RB's the Bills have. This years Bills could very well be 7-5 or better at this point if they relied on the RB's more, and the QB less. How many empty backfield sets have we seen this year, which at times work and most times don't. Who are the brilliant receivers behind SJ to make up those 5 WR sets?

This HC has been so determined to throw over the last 3 years that as soon as the Bills would be down by as little as 3 points Gailey would go pass happy and kill the game. Constantly throwing the ball when the entire world knows you are gonna throw it is moronic. You are throwing into dime coverages designed to stop the pass, and the opposing team just pins their ears back and blitzes.

The formula for winning in the NFL was right there all along and Chan Gailey didn't care to use it until last week. The Bills just recently played the Miami Dolphins who were the #8 at stopping the run, Spiller had 22 carries for 91 yards. so the Bills can run on good defenses, they just choose not to most of the time.