JJ Watt vs Marcell Dareus

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A lot of it comes down to defensive schemes. Put Dareus in San Fran and he would be tearing it up. Put JJ Watt in Wanny's system and he wouldn't be doing anywhere near as well as he is now.

Buffalo's biggest needs right now are: 1) an aggressive DC 2) a true franchise QB 3) MLB 4) tall & strong WR that can take the ball away from defenders if/when need be.

If the Bills had picked Watt, they would have lined him up at OLB in a 3-4 last year, probably kept him there in this year's 4-3, he'd suck because he's not a LB in any sense, and people would be crying that the Bills made a mistake not picking up that Dareus guy who's tearing it up in Houston.

I know this has been covered but I thought I would freshen it up. Do you at this time feel it was wise for the Bills to pick Marcell Dareus over JJ? I watched the HOU-DET game and JJ was in the QBs face or batting down balls all game.

Based on what was known on draft day, anybody other than Dareus at #3 would have been a big head scratcher. Green, Peterson, Jones, and Smith right after are all very good players, but I don't think any of them were a better fit for us or clearly better. But taking the #11 player at #3 needs either some magic crystal ball, or just 20-20 hindsight.

Just like the Spiller pick (nobody picked 10-18 made any sense as a better player for us, and picking someone lower than that is future-prediction cheating), I think the Dareus pick is a good draft day decision. And like the Spiller pick is now proving, I hope it also ends up being a great on field five years of contribution pick.

Disclaimer, I actually liked Dareus more than Von Miller on draft day and was happy when the Broncos picked Miller because I thought it might go the other way. I'm pretty sure that might not have been the right draft day decision had it not been made for us, and Von is really living up to the post Senior Bowl hype.

Seriously. Nobody was even considering taking Watt with the 3rd overall pick and were happy Dareus was available. But now that he could be a great player people want to crap on the front office as if everyone saw this coming? Give me a break.

Agree with you 100%. Nearly everyone had Dareus as the number two pick going to Denver. I was one of the many who loved Dareus falling to us (we were getting destroyed on the ground so he appeared to be just what the doctor ordered).

I dont think anyone realized how good he was going to be so I dont blame the Bills. And Marcell has been turning it up of late.

I think thats why Nix gets paid Millions of dallors to be an NFL GM - to realize that type of stuff.

Thinking back to them both in college, I thought Dareus was good in college, but I never saw him dominate a game single handedly like I saw Watt do a number of times. Watt reminded me of Suh in college, Dareus I guess I kinda just assumed was good cause everyone said he was.