Dareus over AJ Green/ Aaron Williams over Dalton?

Webster Guy

Ok first of all this is supposed to be a fun WHAT IF post, so save the "Hey man that's history, we can't change it" comments.

Cinci picked right behind us in 2011 and took an elite receiver in AJ Green and a pro bowl quarterback in Andy Dalton in the second round. Remember, Dalton was still on the board when we took Aaron Williams in the second round and AJ Green was obviously there when we took Big Marcel 3rd overall.

Without an offseason training camp, AJ and Dalton both made the pro bowl (and the playoffs) and from what I've seen this year they both seem to be getting better, despite virtually no surrounding cast. If you haven't seen them play, AJ Green has two guys on him all game and still gets open constantly. He leads the NFL in touchdowns and is on pace for a 1400 yard 15 touchdown season.

It's interesting to think what this team would look like with Stevie and AJ Green, Spiller and Freddie our offensive line and an accurate young QB (he's at about a 90 passer rating this year) with Chan's offensive mind.

Look I know we were horrible against the run in 2010. Worst in the league. Dareus was the best run stuffer in the country and he was an easy pick, but the Bengals went from 4-12 to 9-7 in one draft with two guys that would have made great Buffalo Bills.

While I do believe Dalton is smart enough to pick up the system, his arm is not that much more great than Fitz. AJ Green is a beast, but I still believe Dareus is on his way to being one of the better DT's in the league. He was a 3-4 DE in college and this 4-3 system is still new to him. He still has the same athletic ability, brute strength, and overall talent, but it will take him a little time to adjust. On that same note, I think KW is helping with his development. Dareus has looked better since the bye week, just like the rest of our defense minus the LB's in coverage.

Edited by H2o

thing is about dalton is ya hes probably a bit better than fitz but do you really want that guy as your starting quarterback? he would have been a better pick than aaron williams of course but i would not want dalton to be our "future" qb. as for dareus over green buddy had a plan and that was to build the o line and d line and yes marcel isnt living up to expecations yet but i see too much talent for him to continue to struggle

Without Dareus, Kyle doesnt convince Mario to come to Buffalo. AJ Green is a special talent, and I would love for him to be a Bill, but I think we made the right pick.

Williams and Dalton is a tough one. Aaron has certainly been underperforming, but I dont think Dalton is any better than Fitz. So at this point, whether we had picked Williams or Dalton, the pick would not be starting caliber. Dalton would be on the bench, and/or we'd have to deal with a QB controversy between 2 marginal QBs.

Frankly, if I had the 2011 2nd round to do over again, I'd pick Brooks Reed over either of them (I had him on my mock in the 2nd back then as well). Or even Akeem Ayers to help us at OLB if we are using the benefit of hindsight.

This game can be played all day with Buffalo Bills drafts.

- Whitner over Ngata and Jay Cutler. How'd that one work out?

- When Marcus Easley was drafted in the 4th round, Aaron Hernandez was available and atop Mel Kiper's board. Good thing the Bills have Easley! LOL

- In that same draft, Torrell Troup picked in the 2nd round. Just one pick later the Patriots selected Rob Gronkowski.

- Jon McCargo over Nick Mangold when center was a huge area of need

- James Hardy drafted in the 2nd round when Desean Jackson was available.

This front office is a total joke and until a new owner comes in and cleans house from top to bottom, it will continue to be a joke.

Cue the "hindsight is 20/20" lemmings.

Without Dareus, Kyle doesnt convince Mario to come to Buffalo. AJ Green is a special talent, and I would love for him to be a Bill, but I think we made the right pick.

Williams and Dalton is a tough one. Aaron has certainly been underperforming, but I dont think Dalton is any better than Fitz. So at this point, whether we had picked Williams or Dalton, the pick would not be starting caliber. Dalton would be on the bench, and/or we'd have to deal with a QB controversy between 2 marginal QBs.

Frankly, if I had the 2011 2nd round to do over again, I'd pick Brooks Reed over either of them (I had him on my mock in the 2nd back then as well). Or even Akeem Ayers to help us at OLB if we are using the benefit of hindsight.

Bringing Mario to Buffalo may not have been a wise investment. At least so far. Schobel was way better than Mario when he played in Buffalo, at a fraction of the cost. Point is, Most were hoping for a player better than what they see in Mario so far. As for Dareus, he needs to shed weight and commit to football again.

Bringing Mario to Buffalo may not have been a wise investment. At least so far. Schobel was way better than Mario when he played in Buffalo, at a fraction of the cost. Point is, Most were hoping for a player better than what they see in Mario so far. As for Dareus, he needs to shed weight and commit to football again.

We're 10 games into a 6 year relationship. A lot of people expect a lot of things everyday, but it doesnt always work out. Signing Mario showed that #1 the organization was serious about building the team, and #2 the Bills could attract big name Free Agents. His play through the first 8 out of 96 games could have been better, but there has been something wrong with the entire defense. He's picked it up lately and I look forward to having such a talent in the years to come.

Im not excusing anyone's play, but I will say it's too early in Mario's contract and Dareus's career to be bashing them just yet.

We're 10 games into a 6 year relationship. A lot of people expect a lot of things everyday, but it doesnt always work out. Signing Mario showed that #1 the organization was serious about building the team, and #2 the Bills could attract big name Free Agents. His play through the first 8 out of 96 games could have been better, but there has been something wrong with the entire defense. He's picked it up lately and I look forward to having such a talent in the years to come.

Im not excusing anyone's play, but I will say it's too early in Mario's contract and Dareus's career to be bashing them just yet.

+1 my friend :thumbsup:

Not bashing I made a comparison. 96 games? No way a player plays that contract out. More than likely a lot of changes in 6 years. But like you said your NOT excusing anyone's play. Mario came hear to make more than market value. That's not hard to see.Bashing?

Not bashing I made a comparison. 96 games? No way a player plays that contract out. More than likely a lot of changes in 6 years. But like you said your NOT excusing anyone's play. Mario came hear to make more than market value. That's not hard to see.Bashing?

I didnt mean to accuse you of bashing. Was just making a general statement as so many people have been so down on them.

He may or may not play out the contract, and maybe some of those 96 games will be playoff games! :thumbsup:

My point is, Im happy with these choices Buddy made. I like the talent that has been added to the team. They need to step it up a bit, like we saw in the Miami game. And more importantly, the coaches need to put them in positions to succeed.

Edited by DrDareustein

I didnt mean to accuse you of bashing. Was just making a general statement as so many people have been so down on them.

He may or may not play out the contract, and maybe some of those 96 games will be playoff games! :thumbsup:

My point is, Im happy with these choices Buddy made. I like the talent that has been added to the team. They need to step it up a bit, like we saw in the Miami game. And more importantly, the coaches need to put them in positions to succeed.

Yea, I think the Miami game was the first game played that really met fans expectations for the season. Everyone out there played a role.

The Bengals didn't draft an elite WR and a Pro Bowl QB. They drafted a college receiver and a QB with question marks.

I married a good looking girl with smarts, financial savvy, and a good head on her shoulders. It didn't work out. Sometimes you miss on a pick, dude. Sometimes the other guy's pick works out great. Learn to be at peace with it.