Team Loss

Casey D

It is interesting to see how many people want to pin the loss entirely on Bledsoe. I was at the game and just watched the game on tape, and this was, most assuredly, a team loss. Let's take a look:

Coaching-- extremely cautious game plan. On both sides of the ball, very few chances were taken. We played to "not lose," not to win. No downfield passing. Horrible decision to run gadget play with Williams substituting for a dinged McGahee. Going for the missed FG instead of a first down--although not clearly wrong--certainly did not show a go for the jugular attitude. Understandable errors and meekness from a rookie staff--hopefully a tough lesson learned.

Special teams--worse game of the year. Fumble on first punt of the game set up Pittsburgh 3-0. 4 penalties on returns. Moorman's punting was horrible, as were Lindell's kickoffs(especially when compared to Pitt, who kiced off into the endzone consistently). And of course, the 28 yard field goal miss.

Defense-- no answer for Pittsburgh's running game. Allowed 60 yard run right after missed FG. Allowed a 9 minute all run drive with 11:30 left in the game for a FG. The line was simply getting blown off the ball by a very physical Pittsburgh O-line.

Offense-- four dropped passes, Evans did not make a catch until 2 minutes left. Line with injuries did not provide much time to throw or running room. Lack of real TE's hurt.

Bledsoe-- not good. Could have had 3-4 picks. Tried to make too much happen by holding ball too long on Pitt. fumble TD(although Reed failed to recognize he was the hot receiver and left Bledsoe in a world of hurt), after Bills had fallen behind.

Penalties--12 overall, to go with 3 turnovers. Reed's stupid and totally unnecessary pass interference on Burns' first down at 5 probably prevented the Bills from opening up an 8 point lead with a quarter to go.

If Bills fix just a couple of these things, they win.

That said, the Bills finished 9-3. They went 3-4 against playoff teams, which is not good enough, but not terrible either. They have two decent QBs--hopefully Losman can come along to the satisfaction of the coaches to start, but until he is Bledsoe has shown he can win games while the kid learns. A little help up front on the O-line, a better third receiver(Reed has to go), and a fully healthy McGahee with a year of experience and it should be a great year next year... CD

Wrong, the defense came away with three turnovers and scored a damn touchdown!!!!

What did the offense and specials do?..........GAVE AWAY 16 POINTS AND THE GAME!  :P

Try as you may, you can't pin this one on the defense bro.

191543[/snapback]

Uh, yeah you can. 9 minute ALL RUNNING PLAY drive with numerous missed tackles against a team with a Toronto Maple Leaf forward at QB. Are you friggin' kidding me? Top shelf defenses don't wilt in the 4th quarter at home against 2nd and 3rd stringers when their season is on the line.

Uh, yeah you can.  9 minute ALL RUNNING PLAY drive with numerous missed tackles against a team with a Toronto Maple Leaf forward at QB.  Are you friggin' kidding me?  Top shelf defenses don't wilt in the 4th quarter at home against 2nd and 3rd stringers when their season is on the line.

191545[/snapback]

Even great defenses get spent when their offenses and specials keep giving it up to the other team. C'mon, you can't figure that one out????

Even great defenses get spent when their offenses and specials keep giving it up to the other team. C'mon, you can't figure that one out????

191549[/snapback]

Nothing more than excuse making. Great defenses make plays when the game is on the line. Giving up 9 minute drives against a 3rd string QB/RB with nary an offensive starter on the field ain't the stuff legends are made of.

It was a total team lack of effort that led to the loss. You are correct. Still doesn't change the fact we need improvements at various positions on this team. Kicker,OL,TE and QB.

Like other posters have pointed out, you cannot expect the Defense and Special Teams to have the number of TD's they registered in 2004. That was a freak occurance. So the offense MUST improve and the above positions need a boost. Bledsoe deserved PLENTY of blame. He was below average to terrible in multiple games since the middle of 2002.

Let's see, the defense gave up 1 TD & 5 FGs. Twice they took the field w/ Pitt already in FG position. They also scored a TD. So basically, they were responsible for surrendering 9 points.

ST gave up the ball once inside our 20 & missed a FG that they should make over 90% of the time. So let's say their contribution was a net loss of 6 points.

The offense scored 2 TDs & drove into position for 2 FGs. They also surrendered the ball deep in their territory AND gave up a TD. So their output amounts to like 10 points.

Out of those results, which is more likely to create or win or loss?

Dee giving up 9 points? I certainly hope you win most of those.

ST surrendering 6 points? It certainly doesn't help you win, but it isn't the cause of the loss. (Ask the Rams about lousy ST.)

How 'bout an offense that only nets 10 points? Let's see, on an average, that would make you the worst offense in the league, by a large margin. Also I suspect the 260 or whatever yards they gained would probably also rank them last. (I'd like to add that surprisingly, our Dee held their offense to 5 less yards.)

Our offense at its best is only mediocre, one a bad day (which is about 1/2 the time), it sucks.

Wrong, the defense came away with three turnovers and scored a damn touchdown!!!!

What did the offense and specials do?..........GAVE AWAY 16 POINTS AND THE GAME!  :P

Try as you may, you can't pin this one on the defense bro.

191543[/snapback]

No one is "pinning" the loss on the defense--it was a team loss. If you think the defense's performance was top-notch, I disagree. Buffalo was winning 17-16 with a quarter to play--no scoring, Bills win. Did the defense give up that 60 yard run than led to Pittsburgh going ahead for good? Thought so.

This is a really good defense, but it was average yesterday, especially when all the chips were on the line...CD

No one is "pinning" the loss on the defense--it was a team loss.  If you think the defense's performance was top-notch, I disagree.  Buffalo was winning 17-16 with a quarter to play--no scoring, Bills win.  Did the defense give up that 60 yard run than led to Pittsburgh going ahead for good?  Thought so.

This is a really good defense, but it was average yesterday, especially when all the chips were on the line...CD

191578[/snapback]

A team loss no doubt, much in the same fashion as our team wins along the way. That sadi, the most disappointing thing was waiting for one of the high-priced/high-profile players on offense to come up with a big play, yet on the overall they failed. Moulds was awful; a team isn't going to win with their "go to" WR dropping 2 or 3 balls in the "big game". Bledsoe's continued lack of accuracy in the short game creates difficulty that's merely exacerbated by the poor hands he's throwing to on many occasions. I suspect if Burns simply makes the easy play and picks up the blind side rusher the Steelers pay big for that blitz and it slows everything else down for the balance of the game. In fact just the opposite happened.

Here's the headline we DIDN'T see this morning, or any other time this year (except maybe the game in Miami):

"Remarkable Performance by Bledsoe Bails Out Off-Day for Bills' D, Special Teams."

Contrast that with the headlines we DID see all season:

"Bills D, Special Teams and Willis Dominate, Despite Mediocre Day by Drew."

The guy NEVER bails out the rest of the team - in fact, they're usually bailing him out. It's a miracle we ended up 9-7 with him at the helm.

No one is "pinning" the loss on the defense--it was a team loss.  If you think the defense's performance was top-notch, I disagree.  Buffalo was winning 17-16 with a quarter to play--no scoring, Bills win.  Did the defense give up that 60 yard run than led to Pittsburgh going ahead for good?  Thought so.

191578[/snapback]

This was a total loss But I be Damn if the Defense take the lions share of this.This my friends has to go strictly to the Coaching Staff for not having the B***s to go for the throat and having Faith in his team.The Coaching Staff IMHO was playing to close to the vest. Imagine this everyone at the Ralph was screaming go for it ...... Willis was gashing them remember we started a the 1 inch line.Imagine yourself on Defense you feel that if the go for it either the will be able impose their Will or the Defense will have the Offensive Deep in Bills Territory.Now as a fan or Defense might have felt at the time; if my team miss that 4th and 1 fine we went for the juglar and didnt make.Iwouldn't have been frustrated if my coach said F**k it lets go for it.That was the same way the Defense felt but if you play it safe and you blow it I felt it;Well they was saying just what i said What the F**k.I was close enough I heard them. thats when they pop that quick hitter between the tackles for the 58 yard run .They was truly thinking of that series......We all were

Nothing more than excuse making.  Great defenses make plays when the game is on the line.  Giving up 9 minute drives against a 3rd string QB/RB with nary an offensive starter on the field ain't the stuff legends are made of.

191559[/snapback]

1) The D played against Pitt's first string Oline all game.

2) The D was put into pressure situations several times in the first three quarters and responded every time.

3) The D has played dominant football, especially in the second half, for the last 8 games.

4) Our O was so anemic in the first half, the Steelers had run 35 plays to our 15.......yet the D was still keeping them out of the endzone.

5) Bledsoe sucks.

6) The D should NEVER have been in the position of having to stop a late game drive by the Steelers......we played a JV team, particularly their defense, and we choked.....particularly our offense.

No they didn't but don't let that get in the way.  Tell me more.

191730[/snapback]

they played most of the game, man

Look, our defense got us three turnovers........that should be more than enough against a team at full strength.......they did their job. By the fourth quarter they were most likely exhausted, not to mention frustrated. There was no excuse for our offense to have played as poorly as they did. They played like crap from the first possession of the game. I'm sorry, but the fourth quarter should have been irrelevant. We should have been able to have OUR backups in by then.

How many turnovers did the D get for us this year? How many points did they score? Hell, they made the offense look better than it really was all year!

Look, our defense got us three turnovers........that should be more than enough against a team at full strength.......they did their job. By the fourth quarter they were most likely exhausted, not to mention frustrated. There was no excuse for our offense to have played as poorly as they did. They played like crap from the first possession of the game. I'm sorry, but the fourth quarter should have been irrelevant. We should have been able to have OUR backups in by then.

How many turnovers did the D get for us this year? How many points did they score? Hell, they made the offense look better than it really was all year!

191741[/snapback]

Why are you such an apologist for the defense. They are very good, but they failed at key times yesterday. After the missed FG--and they had been off the field about 15 minutes at that point--rather than stuff Pitts third string QB and RB, they ripped a 60 yard run. They failed in the clutch. Fatigue, that's absurd at that point in time.

Defense also failed in Jax game and first NYJ game. That's not to say they aren't really good, they are. But if they want to be considered an elite defense, they need to hold leads and take control late in the game...CD

191741[/snapback]

And as to playing most of the game, when Pitt got the ball with 11:15 remaining, Pitt led the time of possession battle by about 1 minute. And the problem with that was that Pitt was 8/18 on third down conversions, and 1/1 on fourth. That's not good defense...CD

Why are you such an apologist for the defense.  They are very good, but they failed at key times yesterday.  After the missed FG--and they had been off the field about 15 minutes at that point--rather than stuff Pitts third string QB and RB, they ripped a 60 yard run.  They failed in the clutch.  Fatigue, that's absurd at that point in time.

Defense also failed in Jax game and first NYJ game.  That's not to say they aren't really good, they are.  But if they want to be considered an elite defense, they need to hold leads and take control late in the game...CD

191744[/snapback]

If you want to call me an apologist for the defense, I'll accept that. They deserve someone to defend them. They've been dominant all year long. But more importantly, I sat here and watched the game as it happened. I saw how it went, and aside from a few third down conversions that they allowed to Maddox I felt they did their job. Spikes even tried to get the offense fired up following his interception, and Bledsoe and the rest of them came out like a bunch of floppy fish.

I'll use the example I've used since the game ended, which some people still just don't seem to get........if you took out NINE of our defensive starters for over half the game, you'd probably lose to any healthy team in the NFL. Well you know what? Yesterday WE were supposed to be the healthy team........Aside from Willis, the rest of the offense was AWOL.......and Drew literally gave them points on two separate occasions. I'm sorry, but that is unacceptable. Like I said, the fourth quarter should have been irrelevant.

Fatigue, that's absurd at that point in time.

191744[/snapback]

To say that, you must have very little understanding of the game. Why do you think that teams try to establish the run? What is it always said that being able to run and stop the run are the two keys to winning a championship? Think about it...........

To say that, you must have very little understanding of the game. Why do you think that teams try to establish the run? What is it always said that being able to run and stop the run are the two keys to winning a championship? Think about it...........

191769[/snapback]

Don't bother. The fact that the offense and special teams gave away 13 points and the defense scored 7 is complete lost on them. They will never get how these facts were the iceberg to the team's titanic failure yesterday.

Don't bother. The fact that the offense and special teams gave away 13 points and the defense scored 7 is complete lost on them. They will never get how these facts were the iceberg to the team's titanic failure yesterday.

191780[/snapback]

You're probably right......you know what, though? I bet if we didn't have the D and the ST that we do have (i.e. dominant units), and the offense (i.e. Drew) was exposed for what it really is, they'd be just as pissed off about it as we are now. Every area of our team has improved this season except the QB position. The line is better, Willis is a friggin stud, Evans is a friggin stud, Shelton has become valuable, the D is better all around, and the ST are better. Let's play "who's the slacker"!!!!!!!!!

I can't understand those who seem to want to absolve the defense of all blame. Should the offense have performed better? Of course. But let's not pretend that we have a dominant defense if we can't rely on them to stop a team of backups from executing a 9-minute drive consisting solely of running plays. You're probably never going to have a situation where your offense, defense, and special teams are all awesome, and I don't think it's unreasonable to expect the supposed strength of this team to give the ball back to the offense with time to do something.

I can't understand those who seem to want to absolve the defense of all blame.  Should the offense have performed better?  Of course.  But let's not pretend that we have a dominant defense if we can't rely on them to stop a team of backups from executing a 9-minute drive consisting solely of running plays.  You're probably never going to have a situation where your offense, defense, and special teams are all awesome, and I don't think it's unreasonable to expect the supposed strength of this team to give the ball back to the offense with time to do something.

191802[/snapback]

Stop

Making

Sense.

We're busy pretending the defense was perfect and the only reason they got run over in the fourth quarter is because Drew Bledsoe sucked. I am Mr. Rourke, your host. Welcome to Fantasy Island.

I can't understand those who seem to want to absolve the defense of all blame.  Should the offense have performed better?  Of course.  But let's not pretend that we have a dominant defense if we can't rely on them to stop a team of backups from executing a 9-minute drive consisting solely of running plays.  You're probably never going to have a situation where your offense, defense, and special teams are all awesome, and I don't think it's unreasonable to expect the supposed strength of this team to give the ball back to the offense with time to do something.

191802[/snapback]

I agree with you.......and your point about how the O, D, and ST are all going to be awesome is well taken......and that is exactly why I'm not willing to blame the D. In the first half, the D did exactly what it's been doing for us all year......forcing turnovers and keeping teams out of the endzone. The special teams gave them the ball deep in our territory early on. Then Bledsoe did the same thing. But the D kept the game in hand by forcing them into field goal attempts instead of TDs. The Defense has given the offense a ton of extra opportunties all year via turnovers. They did the same thing in this game. And you're right, you can't expect any one phase of the team to be strong all the time. The difference was that the D did more than enough to win this game, had the offense been able to do SOMETHING. Did you see how many balls Drew put on the numbers of the other team? Or how many passes were so far off the mark that it was embarrassing? Or the time when he SHOTPUTTED the friggin ball back to Shaud, who didn't know WHAT the hell Drew was doing.......or the time when Drew got sacked, fumbled, and gave up a TD all in the same play? No, theres no way in hell I'm going to blame the defense for any of this.

Stop

Making

Sense.

We're busy pretending the defense was perfect and the only reason they got run over in the fourth quarter is because Drew Bledsoe sucked.  I am Mr. Rourke, your host.  Welcome to Fantasy Island.

191805[/snapback]

Of all people I would think would recognize the game for what it was yesterday, I figured you'd be at the top of the list. I don't understand it........the offense was horrendous.

Or the time when he SHOTPUTTED the friggin ball back to Shaud, who didn't know WHAT the hell Drew was doing

191810[/snapback]

Shaud also didn't know what the hell HE was supposed to be doing. Otherwise he'd have been on Shelton's hip where he belonged instead of standing there drooling like BF in a titty bar.

Of all people I would think would recognize the game for what it was yesterday, I figured you'd be at the top of the list. I don't understand it........the offense was horrendous.

191812[/snapback]

I didn't absolve the offense of any of the blame and have stated at least a couple of times that the playcalling was bizarro and the loss of CV showed just how pathetic our guard depth truly is (not strong enough phrasing, really). That doesn't change the fact that the defense SPIT THE BIT when we needed them the most - in a VERY embarrassing manner.

Shaud also didn't know what the hell HE was supposed to be doing.  Otherwise he'd have been on Shelton's hip where he belonged instead of standing there drooling like BF in a titty bar.

191813[/snapback]

I don't know why talking about Drew reminded me of this.......but have you ever seen Dumb and Dumber? Do you remember the scene where Harry takes a snowball and just nails Lauren Holly in the head with it? That's what it looked like Bledsoe was about to do to Shaud........but instead of that, it turned into the shotput. Drew loses his mojo in big games.......it's like having the lost stooge at QB.

No, theres no way in hell I'm going to blame the defense for any of this.

191810[/snapback]

Did the defense play well enough for the offense to win? For most of the game, they did. But they failed when the team needed them most. Are they more to blame than the offense, and specifically Drew's horrific performance? No, but the fact remains, for what should be the backbone of this team, they did not do their job.

I'm probably coming across as faulting the defense more than I actually do, I just don't think what happened should be ignored. A top-notch defense stops that drive. Period.

I didn't absolve the offense of any of the blame and have stated at least a couple of times that the playcalling was bizarro and the loss of CV showed just how pathetic our guard depth truly is (not strong enough phrasing, really).  That doesn't change the fact that the defense SPIT THE BIT when we needed them the most - in a VERY embarrassing manner.

191816[/snapback]

Okay......so even though they forced three turnovers (one of which was for a TD) and kept them out of the endzone on several short field situations, overall the D was the reason we lost?

I'm sorry, if Drew went 18/30 with 3TDs and one interception, even I wouldn't be hacking on him for the loss........that's why your argument makes no sense to me. The D did much more to win the game than they did to lose it. The same can't be said of the offense.

I didn't absolve the offense of any of the blame and have stated at least a couple of times that the playcalling was bizarro and the loss of CV showed just how pathetic our guard depth truly is (not strong enough phrasing, really).  That doesn't change the fact that the defense SPIT THE BIT when we needed them the most - in a VERY embarrassing manner.

191816[/snapback]

I think part of the problem is people assume opinions about the team/game come all bundled together, so if you criticize the defense, you're trying to deflect blame from Bledsoe.

After the game I was arguing with my brother a bit because I was trying to make the point that we need a better O-line to really take the next step, to be able to run the ball the way Pittsburgh did when we knew it was coming. He took that to mean that I thought the bad game was the fault of the O-line more than Drew.

It gets annoying to have to constantly include disclaimers saying that Drew did play poorly and I don't think he's the answer at QB.

Did the defense play well enough for the offense to win?  For most of the game, they did.  But they failed when the team needed them most.  Are they more to blame than the offense, and specifically Drew's horrific performance?  No, but the fact remains, for what should be the backbone of this team, they did not do their job.

I'm probably coming across as faulting the defense more than I actually do, I just don't think what happened should be ignored.  A top-notch defense stops that drive.  Period.

191818[/snapback]

I dunno, I just can't fault them for being shown up on one drive, when that drive should not have meant anything to begin with. Just a difference of opinion, I guess.

Okay......so even though they forced three turnovers (one of which was for a TD) and kept them out of the endzone on several short field situations, overall the D was the reason we lost?

191820[/snapback]

I think this right here is the key to my difference of opinion with you. I don't think you can look at the game and say "This is THE reason we lost." Who had the most to do with the loss? Drew. A bit more awareness on that blitz/fumble/TD and maybe we're looking at overcoming a 5-point lead at the end of the game.

That said, if Lindell makes that kick, maybe we keep some momentum. If the defense stops Pitt's backups with a few more minutes left, maybe we have time to kick deep and not have to rely on an onside.

There's plenty of blame to go around after a game like that.

Stop

Making

Sense.

We're busy pretending the defense was perfect and the only reason they got run over in the fourth quarter is because Drew Bledsoe sucked.  I am Mr. Rourke, your host.  Welcome to Fantasy Island.

191805[/snapback]

Defense: 3 turnovers, 1 touchdown for the Bills.

Offense: 3 turnovers (Bills territory), 1 touchdown and 2 fieldgoals for the Steelers, 2 of 13 on 3rd down conversions.

Fantasy Island: Our defense cost us the game because they could not get off the field in the 4th.

I think this right here is the key to my difference of opinion with you.  I don't think you can look at the game and say "This is THE reason we lost."  Who had the most to do with the loss?  Drew.  A bit more awareness on that blitz/fumble/TD and maybe we're looking at overcoming a 5-point lead at the end of the game.

That said, if Lindell makes that kick, maybe we keep some momentum.  If the defense stops Pitt's backups with a few more minutes left, maybe we have time to kick deep and not have to rely on an onside.

There's plenty of blame to go around after a game like that.

191834[/snapback]

Do you remember when Helmet Head took over the Dolphins and he was asked about Dan Marino's job security? Jimmuh told a story about how when he was with the Cowboys, he NEVER treated players the same........he gave the example of Troy Aikman falling asleep at a meeting, and how if he ever saw that he'd very calmly go over, tap him on the shoulder, and wake him up. If it was an unproven or underachieving player who was falling asleep in the meeting, however, he'd be tempted to cut his asss right then and there. He said he clearly played favorites and he always treated players differently. Well, to me, this pertains to a football team and it's various units. The defense has brought their A game MUCH more consistently this year than the O or the ST. To me, they have earned the benefit of the doubt when it comes to their play. I think that's why I just cannot bring myself to place the blame upon their shoulders......not even a little. Drew was the underachieving player falling asleep in the meeting........and if it were up to me, I'd have cut his asss as soon as that embarrassment of a game was over.

Defense: 3 turnovers, 1 touchdown for the Bills.

Offense: 3 turnovers (Bills territory), 1 touchdown and 2 fieldgoals for the Steelers, 2 of 13 on 3rd down conversions.

Fantasy Island: Our defense cost us the game because they could not get off the field in the 4th.

191836[/snapback]

Hell, I didn't even know about the 2 of 13 on 3rd down.........lol

The defense has brought their A game MUCH more consistently this year than the O or the ST. To me, they have earned the benefit of the doubt when it comes to their play. I think that's why I just cannot bring myself to place the blame upon their shoulders......not even a little.

191841[/snapback]

While I don't share this POV, I can respect it. I think we've gotten as far as we can expect with this debate.

I'm sorry, if Drew went 18/30 with 3TDs and one interception, even I wouldn't be hacking on him for the loss........that's why your argument makes no sense to me. The D did much more to win the game than they did to lose it. The same can't be said of the offense.

191820[/snapback]

TEAMS lose games. The defense didn't do enough. The offense didn't do enough. The special teams didn't do enough. The coaches didn't do enough.

I don't care about individual statistics. I care about scoreboard. Your argument makes even less sense.

TEAMS lose games.  The defense didn't do enough.  The offense didn't do enough.  The special teams didn't do enough.  The coaches didn't do enough. 

I don't care about individual statistics.  I care about scoreboard.  Your argument makes even less sense.

191855[/snapback]

Okay, so if Willis fumbles four times on the 1 yd line and we lose the game 21-20, it was a team loss, huh?

TEAMS lose games.  The defense didn't do enough.  The offense didn't do enough.  The special teams didn't do enough.  The coaches didn't do enough. 

I don't care about individual statistics.  I care about scoreboard.  Your argument makes even less sense.

191855[/snapback]

Bingo. If any one of the three units played lights out, we would have won. The real issue is, how far below their best did each unit play. We already knew this team is unlikely to win by Bledsoe and the offense putting the team on its shoulders and winning, it is not that good. What is special about this team is its defense and ST.

The offense played slightly below its norm, which is pretty low. The ST was way below its norm, and the defense pretty far below its norm, especially when it could not stop a one dimensional offense from racking up 160 yards of rushing offense.

In absolute terms, the defense played the best game, followed by the offense and special teams. But in relative terms-- based on what we've come to need and expect from each unit-- the offense and defense were equally bad, and the special teams horrendous. But I guess some people refuse to accept that.